Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-18-2005, 08:46 PM   #31
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Well, what about the Suzuki M50?

That was a really nice bike and I think you should give that a good look.

We do have a budget cruiser test in the works.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2005, 08:52 PM   #32
Gabe
Registered Member

Default About that...

The bike was provided with no owner's manual, and I asked about adjusting the suspension with the fleet service...they were a bit stumped as well. I did get the rear shock nicely set up, and it is a nice unit, although it lacks the hydraulic adjuster that I've seen on other Ohlins units.

As for the front, there is only one adjuster on these forks: on the top, and it seems to be a combo preload/damping adjuster. There are no compression or rebound adjusters.

Feel free to contact me if you can explain how to make those three seperate adjustements, then I will insert the retraction.

Thanks for pointing this out!

Old 05-18-2005, 09:02 PM   #33
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Also!

Here's what I said about the bike's suspension:

"It's suspended with a directly connected Ohlins monoshock, adjustable for rebound and compression damping as well as spring preload...Up front, a 43 MM inverted Ohlins fork, adjustable for damping and preload"

Nowhere do I use the phrase "lack of adjustability". I do question whether the Ohlins setup is worth the extra $3500, when it's definately NOT the nice Ohlins so much extra money should get you. If it was, it would have more adjusters on the fork, and the remote preload adjuster on the shock. $1500 spent revalving and re-springing, and buying the GOOD Ohlins rear shock would do much more good, then you could buy a nice set of Staintunes as well.

However, I am very glad you enjoy your Rosso Corsa: I'm pretty jealous! Enjoy.

Old 05-19-2005, 03:30 AM   #34
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default OOPS! My Bad!

One of the things I really like about MO – no issues to pile-up around the house. The down-side – I can’t read it in the bathroom.

Consequently, I sometimes get distracted while sitting at my computer and miss important stuff - like when Gabe mentioned that, though the Coppo Italia has Ohlins forks, they’re crappy Ohlins forks. That Sucks! And, it ruins a lot of what I thought was cool about the Coppo. Now, rather than being a well-appointed lump, it’s just a lump – pretty though it may be. And I’ve got to admit; it’s damn pretty!

Taking a look at the spec-sheet, the Coppo has about ten more horses than an SV-650. Is having " a wonderful example of Italian design, sharing in GuzziÂ’s past glory, and some exclusiveness" worth paying double the price? I donÂ’t think so!

If there’s a-chance-in-Hell anyone at Suzuki is reading this…Please, build an SV- 750! Give it top-notch components and dress it up, like the Coppo Italia - I’ll be happy to pay nine-grand! Don’t worry about taking sales away from your sport bikes – it’s not going to happen! There are lots of guys who want to do some serious riding; but they don’t want to do it on an Ultra Super-Cycle.

Old 05-19-2005, 04:04 AM   #35
sliphorn
Registered Member

Default Re: State of the Guzzi

I can certainly understand a W650 stealing your heart at the last minute. Great bike, and a shame that American motorcyclists overlook bikes like it. It has an excellent following in Japan and Europe. Sport bike or cruiser, sport bike or cruiser, man I'm sick of it.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:18 AM   #36
travisyoung
Founding Member

Default Re: OOPS! My Bad!

I have both an SV and a V11 sport...by the seat of the pants it sure feels like a lot more than ten horses difference between them (I have no idea which one I'm faster on but it doesn't matter because I'm so slow) maybe it's just because of the booming exhaust on the Guzzi or visceral delivery of the power, but the Guzzi feels considerably more powerful

I like your SV 750 idea, but I would rather see Guzzi build a 750 version of the sport or the Italia...same idea but insurance would be cheaper and it would be italian...might not have as much power though.
travisyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:30 AM   #37
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Well, what about the Suzuki M50?

A budget cruiser test eh? Will you be bringing it up to Thunderhill for some track time? VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:01 PM   #38
theDuke
Founding Member

Yeah, a V750 Monza based on the new Breva would be pretty cool. Probably couldn't sell many for the prices they would need to charge, unfortunately. Then again, if they keep the price in line with the Breva it would be an interesting competitor to the new Triumph Thruxton.
theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:21 PM   #39
OhioSteve
Founding Member

I get my suzuki serviced at a dealer that carries the big four plus Guzzi. So I see these bikes more often than the average rider. Its great to see a manufacturer look beyond horsepower to sell their bike. The guzzi's styling is incredibly cool, and the offbeat image is attractive. However, the horrendously bad reliability means that you can hardly enjoy the bike. The guzzi websites have thread after thread describing the problems of various guzzis. Why spend $15,000 to buy a headache?
OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:33 PM   #40
OhioSteve
Founding Member

I can understand the appeal of something out of the ordinary. But manufacturers like KTM and Victory offer both originality and reliability.
OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote