Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-18-2005, 05:31 AM   #11
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Gimmie a minute to stop laughing!

The crack about the 70s Saabs just-about floored me. Ask the owner of a 96 Series Saab about thier car and you'd better be prepared for a lecture of monumental length, depth and boredom. If you don't have the good sense to fake a stroke - and lay motionless, until the paramedics to arrive - you'll treated to: early ice-racing expliots, extensive details about the 3cylinder-2cycle engine, and how the the Sonnet was the greatest-sports-car ever.

In my experience, Guzzi owner aren't that bad. But, if an apparel company ever decides to make a wool motorcycle jacket, with leather elbow patches, A Guzzi rider will be first-in-line.

A few weeks ago, I actually met a guy riding a Coppa Italia. He was about my age (older that dirt) and he'd just-bought the Guzzi, after 15-years away from riding, because of a bad wreck. After listening to the guy and taking a gander at the bike, the Guzzi seemed to make sense. His Guzzi was a lump but it was a well appointed lump; what it lacked in engine, it made-up-for in chassis components. The guy wanted a bike he could ride and have fun on, but he also knew that his Ricky road-racer-days were over. The price was high and the engine technology wasn't there, but the Guzzi made more sense than a Gyno-Glide.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2005, 05:33 AM   #12
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: State of the Guzzi

I had a 1957 Auto Union-DKW. A quart of outboard oil with every fill up (worked out to about 15.1). A transverse leaf spring in front held it all together. 3 cyl 750.

Neat little car, wish I still had it.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:45 AM   #13
steven_1
Founding Member

I just reread the story and read " ill-handling beast of yesterday"? How far back are you going? Dr, Johns Guzzi team winning endurance races in the mid 80's on pretty stock LeMan's. Mike Baldwin racing on Guzzis in the 70's? Maybe the 16" front wheeled bikes but even those where not bad.

Any review of the Guzzi EV, California line always talk about how well they handel, and you can trace the Tonti Frame back to the V7 Sport. and 850 LeMans.

steven_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:28 AM   #14
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

A Zundap engined Rickman won the vintage class at Adelanto this year. Beeyootiful bike.

Shifts almost as good as a DKW too.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:32 AM   #15
tomk2
Founding Member

A guy I ride with has a V11 LeMans that he occasionally swaps rides with and Duc owners, Japanese superbike owners, everyone who's ridden it raves about it.

I've seen personally two real inline-4 liter bike bigots take that bike over Skaggs Springs Road & come back saying they loved it.

But of course the spec sheet racers will tell the Guzzi sucks and any modern supersport will produce more power at 12,500 rpm.

P.S. Anybody who complains about the Guzzi transmission clearly hasn't spent enough time on a Buell.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:54 AM   #16
theDuke
Founding Member

I rode a Breva 750 a while back and thought that it felt like a lot more fun than the spec sheet would lead one to believe. Perhaps it was the more "standard" riding position, but I thought the suspension felt very comfortable and the engine very smooth at 70+ MPH speeds on the freeway. The motor sounded great and I personally prefer the styling to the Nevada which just seems somewhat odd to my eye.

Like many others, I suppose, I came "this close" to buying one but didn't. I stumbled across a barely used (and much less expensive) Kawi W650 that just stole my heart at the last minute. I still think about that Guzzi, though. The local dealer must be sick of my nose prints on his front glass.

I would have to assume that the current U.S. Dollar/Euro exchange rate has priced these small-block Guzzis much higher than the factory originally intended.

theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:15 AM   #17
travisyoung
Founding Member

Default Re: Gimmie a minute to stop laughing!

I have a newer Saab (and of course a Guzzi) now, but

don't get me started...driving a two-stroke 96 is like flying a plane...really a hoot at 10,000 RPM too
travisyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:24 AM   #18
g-bear
Founding Member

Good job, another review on bikes that are not in the mainstream.

Now, if only could get your hands on an easy-to-find Vulcan 750 and give us a nice review, that would be great. I've been waiting for years for a good review on the unique VN750, including dynos. Now, since I bought one, I dare you to write one before I send you one!

Jokes aside, please include it in your next budget bikecruiserstandardtourings or whatever you want to call it.

G
g-bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:18 AM   #19
James_Brown
Registered Member

I think the Breva is a great looking bike. Guzzi has been hinting about producing an 1100 Breva ever since they came out with 750. They've shown pre-production versions in brochures that include bags and a small flyscreen. When the company gets back on firm footing and puts that bike into production, I'll be interested.
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:28 AM   #20
sarnali
Founding Member

My dad had one of those when we lived in Montreal, the a/c two stroke made it perfect for those brisk -15* days, didn't have to worry about anti-freeze and by the time you shoveled snow out of the way it was warmed up.

They decided we needed a bigger car so we got a '59 Beetle.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote