Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-12-2005, 12:22 AM   #1
Somnus
Founding Member

Default Re: Spring Helmet Bazaar

First post. Why? Because I'm grading labs.

I own the KBC TK-8. Solid construction and design, comfy removable liner, perfect fit. Venting is good, and one can always find a no-fog solution by modulating the vents and visor. Can get loud at extra-legal speeds, even with earplugs -- nothing harmful, you just wouldn't be able to hear a comm that well.
Somnus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2005, 02:51 AM   #2
bod
Founding Member

Hey what including some flip face helmets in your review I have long been interested in one of those so i can smoke a cig and drink some beer while riding and be like my harley neighbors but yet still have the protection of a full face helmet
bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:39 AM   #3
mhertz17
Founding Member

June 2005 issue of Motorcyclist magazine has an extensive article on helmets. They investigate helmet design, helmet standards and actual head protection. The article is very long and detailed and gets into the debate of too-hard helmets. The bottom line appears to be that a less expensive helmet may actually be safer if it is DOT approved. Too long and complex an article to summarize in this post but suggest if you are in the market for a helmet to read this article.
mhertz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:17 AM   #4
jhinton
Founding Member

Default Motorcycylist Helmet Article

I highly recommend that anyone that rides a motorcycle read this article. As the message above says, the article is way to detailed to cover here. But the basic theme is, that the less G's your brain takes the better. The Snell test requires a helmet to take two huge hits in the same place on a spherical object. To pass the Snell test helmets must designed to be very stiff. This doesn't allow them to crush and absorb energy effectively, therefore passing high G forces to your brain. During the lab testing a $100 DOT only helmet did significantly better than the $500 DOT/Snell helmets. My wife and I will be getting new helmets shortly, and they wonÂ’t be Snell approved.
jhinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:42 AM   #5
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Great article. Too bad I bought my new helmet before reading it. I bought a Shoei RF-1000 to replace my Shoei RF-800. I actually like the fit of the 800 better but my vents are broke and it is more than 5 years old... A friend of mine recently bought an Icon and is real happy with it. The Scorpion looks interesting. Thanks MO Good stuff
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:53 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Since I read that Motorcycist article, I have a new saying. "If you have a $10 head, buy a $500 helmet." I thought it was very strange that the low buck helmets significantly out performed the expensive ones.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:16 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Do any of these come with a removable foil liner? I need to quiet down the radio commands coming from above.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:17 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Motorcyclist did a similar article back in the '80s and came up with the same conclusion. The harder lining in the racing helmets can be less effective at lower speeds, the speeds most people travel at, than the softer DOT style linings. It's simple physics.

Of course, if you are incompetent it won't matter what helmet you wear or even if you wear a helmet at all.

Old 05-12-2005, 06:28 AM   #9
SRMark
Founding Member

That KBC would have gone well with an '01 KLR. I don't think I would have had the stones to wear it though.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:45 AM   #10
allbikesbiker
Founding Member

I have the Icon Alliance. (Black gloss finish)

good helmet.

not great.

wind noise is a little higher than the Shoei I had before this.

for the price you can't beat it.
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote