Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Spring Helmet Bazaar (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2789-spring-helmet-bazaar.html)

mile_eater 05-13-2005 03:57 AM

Re: Spring Helmet Bazaar

That VR-1 is cool.. and by cool I mean totally sweet!

sarnali 05-13-2005 05:23 AM

I just keep a roll in my saddle bag and make a little skull cap each time I ride. The tinfoil deteriorates after it absorbs enough signals anyway.

A good trick is to super-glue a piece of copper wire around the circumfrence of the helmet even with your temple, that makes the signal break up and helps the tinfoil last longer...

sarnali 05-13-2005 05:38 AM

Beat me to it airdale, the grapes are the ones you flip cigerettes at

Easy to tell a snipe, OD green cover-alls with FTN stenciled above your name, smelling like Naval Distillate

mscuddy 05-13-2005 06:38 AM

Yeah, not to mention snipes are about 5 feet tall, so they can fit through those boiler pipes.

edward44 05-13-2005 07:43 AM

Would you believe MO deleted my post! Can I get a refund?

Re: Spring Helmet Bazaar (Score: 0, Dipstick)

by edward44 on Friday, May 13 @ 04:03:26 PDT

(User Info | Send a Message)

Uh Oh, MO. Bad timing. Your Mickey Mouse (TM) helmet review has to to go head to head with a definitive investigation by Motorcyclist Magazine.

No time for more, I'm off to Manny, Moe, and Jack's for a new helmet.

longride 05-13-2005 09:56 AM

You didn't get deleted Eddie, you just got a "0 Dipstick" ranking. All you nrrd to do is adjust the filter at the top. Then you can giggle at your post once again as it shows up.

sportbike_pilot 05-13-2005 10:11 AM

Sage Longride,

Is this an example of what it means to be "hoisted by your own petard?"

-sbp

longride 05-13-2005 01:27 PM

Martin, you always have the right words for the moment, plus you are a feisty SOB lately. I like it!

FrankGrimes 05-13-2005 04:31 PM

When to replace helmets?

Most of my experience with helmets is with high end bikes(the kind that cost more than [some]motorcycles) Most manufactures reccomend replacing your helmets every 2 years, or one year. It is because the foam absorbs moisture in the air making unable to absorb as much of an impact.

It would seem that buying a new quality, low-end, non-snell apporved helmet each year would be the safest way to go.

nbyers 05-13-2005 06:21 PM

Helmet Replacement

This is a post generated by frankgrimes, above.

For a long manufacturers have been recommending that you replace your helmet every five years.

Now frankgrimes suggests every TWO years due to the fragile, delicate foam liners. This is a tough device made to absorb impact! If the liners deteriorate that fast, the helmet makers' lawyers would have big warning stickers all over saying "do not use for longer than 24 months" or some such.

C'mon, guys, the helmet manufacturers are in business to sell helmets. What do you think they're gonna say, one helmet and you're set for life? If they could make it stick they'd tell you you need a fresh Arai Signet-priced helmet twice a year!

For my dollar, every five years is probably a good idea if you ride much (say more than 3000 miles/year). In that much riding time your shiny lid is bound to catch a few drops and scrapes, not to mention an occasional musty smell. You don't have to be a metrosexual to think a fresh hat would be due.