Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-12-2005, 07:51 AM   #11
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Spring Helmet Bazaar

Re the KBC VR1 that's the one for me. Matches my flight jacket.

BTW it's F-4 Phantom, and deck ape ABH types wear brown jerseys. Purple jerseys are worn by ABFs (aviation bosuns mate fuel). Green for maintenance, red for ordinance, white for QA. Pink for pecker checkers (corpsmen). Ha ha..

With all the leaking vehicles in my driveway it already looks like the flight deck on the Indy anyway, where the tow tractors use to park. Can you say speedy dry?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2005, 07:55 AM   #12
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Don't you watch South Park? Drinking and riding is dangerous.... you might spill your beer.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:44 AM   #13
Pinkslip
Founding Member

The KBC VR-2 replaced the VR-1. They fit different heads, though, so I suppose they shouldn't consider it a direct replacement.

It should be noted that most retail locations (and obviously, e-tail locations) do not charge MSRP for the higher end helmets like Arai and Shoei. Even the lower priced KBC are often on discount.
Pinkslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:11 AM   #14
Gabe
Registered Member

Default I just like purple

And it's MY aircraft carrier, so the guy will wear a purple shirt.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:14 AM   #15
pattonme
Founding Member

I've got the article in color and BW PDF but alas, damn copyright won't let me distribute it. VERY good article though.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:15 AM   #16
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Agreed. As with most motorcycle apparel these days MSPR is a fantasy. I paid a little more than half MSRP for the AGV.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:14 PM   #17
skeepee
Registered Member

Default Re: Motorcycylist Helmet Article

Motorcyclist's article also stated that cheaper plastic shells have an edge over fiberglass in that plastic will deform under impact, absorbing and distributing energy in the process.
skeepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:30 PM   #18
Chango
Founding Member

I tried to make the same jump you did - RF800 to RF1000. I didn't much like the 1000. In fact, it was quite painful to wear for more than twnety minutes, so I kept using the 800 for longer trips. I loved my 800, but it was getting old, and one day I left it sitting on the seat of the bike and the wind blew it up and over the seat and it landed on the ground with a nice, loud, sickening crunch.

So after selling the 1000 on eBay, I wanted to try an Arai. The closest dealer to me was 40 miles away, but I'm glad I made the trip. I tried on a Quantum, a Signet, and an Astral, not only to find out which shape fit me, but also to find out which size I needed. Apparently I wear an XL in everything except Shoei, where a large is right. Anyway, after trying the various Arai's, I found the Astral to have the best shape for me. I even like it better than my old RF800. I think the Arai is a little bit quieter, but I'm not certain. I always wear earplugs anyway, so I don't worry about it much.

I guess the point of this is, if you liked the RF800 then you might like the Arai Astral. And you can find them on eBay for about $300 brand new, which is a lot cheaper than any dealership.

Chango

Old 05-13-2005, 02:03 AM   #19
edward44
Founding Member

Uh Oh, MO. Bad timing. Your Mickey Mouse (TM) helmet review has to to go head to head with a definitive investigation by Motorcyclist Magazine.

No time for more, I'm off to Manny, Moe, and Jack's for a new helmet.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:30 AM   #20
VFRJunkie
Founding Member

Same problem, RF-800 fit great, RF-1000 pinched my head and gave me a headache after only 5 min. After trying various helments on, found that the Shoei X-11 fits like the RF-800 did. In general a much better helmet then the RF-800, lighter, better ventilation, no head buffeting at speed.
VFRJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote