Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-09-2005, 06:59 PM   #71
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Open Supersports Shootout!

Aren't these the same people we whupped because they wore red uniforms and marched in straight lines into battle?

Who's youngsters burned the White House.

Who's descendants begat English Bob (before Little Bill settled his hash).

Who descendants produce the most oil consuming and rust producing line of sports cars on the planet (that would be British Leyland)

And who currently think that eel pie is a delicacy!

Monty Python is funny tho.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2005, 07:42 PM   #72
Marin_Cycleworks
Registered Member

Default Re: She has a website

She was at the last Keigwins trackday I went to, in March. You tell yourself, "yeah, well, if I weighed 60 pounds and had a 120 pound bike, I'd be carrying corner speed like that, too."

Track days are great. After seeing guys on the latest literbikes get passed routinely by 12 year old girls, guys on vintage bikes, Ninja 250s, you realize that, for 98% of us, it ain't the bike that's holding us back.
Marin_Cycleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:49 PM   #73
Gabe
Registered Member

Default I don't see the

Unless you are referring to the English rock band. I don't think any of us are in love with the CBR (except Pete), but we all agreed the CBR was very composed and neutral on the track...and I have yet to read anything from any country that disagrees. We all (again, except for Pete) liked the R1 on the street...again, no clash. We also agreed the CBR felt a little slower than the GSXR and ZX-10...no clash.

They take motorcycle sport seriously in Europe, but from what I've heard, at press intros, the US journos are the fastest, smoothest and safest as a group...I'm not saying they don't know what they're talking about, or that they can't ride: I just want to make sure you understand that WE know what we're talking about, and we can ride, too.

The CBR is a great track bike! And anything that can gobble up a straightaway like the CBR is hardly "underpowered". Anyone using that term to describe a 152 hp streetbike is some kind of poser, looney, or idiot. I would be inclined to greatly doubt their credibility!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #74
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

ass kisser!
Old 05-10-2005, 12:12 AM   #75
Pgbexr
Registered Member

I'm stickin' my post under here so it comes up as close to the above comment as possible in re Euro[and some U.S. (alleged)] opinions.

The truth is that each one of these bikes is within a hair's breadth of one another when considering their scope of performance. When motojournalists set out to review bikes of this caliber it takes a finely honed skill set to discern the slightest nuance between them. Sean's abilities(and rather than recount his talents herewithin I'll leave the research to the doubtful and interested)more than qualify him for this task. European , U.S. , or other publications included. The rest of this crew exponentially decrease in riding abilities when measured against a scale of high performance as these bikes demand: Gabe, Martin then myself in that order. So what I perceive as an inference that European riders are somehow innately better suited to sort out the goats from the sheep is in fact the opinion of daithi and nothing more.

Nevertheless, I know many Limeys. And there motorcycle riding is very, very good. I attribuite this partially to the fact that motorbikes are substantially more integrated into society in the U.K. and Europe in general by virture of their acceptance as an important part of the transportation system rather than something of a convenience or luxury item of the select few. But that doesn't mean that someone born on the other side of the pond is naturally endowed with motorcycling prowess.

No one on this test would have been allowed to do what we did with tens of thousands of dollars worth of motorcycles that didn' t belong to us unless it was determined that we ALL had sufficent skills to participate. With that said we all brought varying degrees of skills, abilities, attitudes, etc. to the table. And that, in my opinion, is what helps shape the overall look of results of shootouts and/or reviews by Motorcycle.com. Otherwise, why not have Val Rossi test. Or Sean and Sean only test the machines.

As for myself, I was asked to give my views based upon my experience, physical stature and talent(or lack thereof)as to which bike I would pick as an overall winner when considering the unit that I would use as a motorcycle to do all things all the time. Hence the CBR, based on the amount of time I had with each machine. I can only speak for myself and those close in proximity to me. In this test I was somewhat in the minority. But consider the points awarded: with the exception of the R1 there was never more than two points between them. And only one point in one voting. Again I believe this speaks to the true nature of all these bikes and just how close they really are.

Here I would correct Gabe, that I didn't "love" the CBR but rather it conformed to what I was assessing for, based upon my view(s). Truth is that the difference between the CBR and GSXR was razor thin for me. Nevertheless, all things considered, I choose the Honda.

"...the Honda is the total opposite of the Uk tests, where the bike has been universally slated as being bland in the extreme, as well as being the heaviest and least powerful. A very `uninvolving` ride. "

To the above my comment is this: No motorcycle in this class is underpowered. When the consideration that most of the purchasers of these rides will spend the lion's share of their time on the street, such a statement by whomever is presumptuous. As for it being uninvolving I'm willing to speculate that what Honda was aiming for--and accomplished, was a 'compliant' ride. And if the above assessment is only focused on track use, then all the more that the Honda is as it is. What would you rather have: A bike that is stable and responsive at relatively high speeds or one that is willful and sometimes disobedient? I'll take the former.

"By the way, there is a very good reason why the R1 was by a huge margin the best selling bike in the UK last year."

And what is that reason? Please let us know so we can ascertain for ourselves that we Yanks are at least as good as the English.

With all that said, thanks for the kudos and the post.
Pgbexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:14 AM   #76
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default AW MAN!

I'Z DIZAPPOYNTED IN YOU DOG.

152 HP IZ UNDRPOWERD!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:33 AM   #77
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Hey man, don't candy coat it, give it to us straight.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:02 AM   #78
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Some how the first part of my post, in which I called you the most reprehensible reprobate on the planet, was deleted. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:26 AM   #79
xseal
Registered Member

Good review. I agree that with bikes like this, the primary focus should be on their utility as a track day bike and club racing. These bikes really don't have any business on the street, and frankly most club racers would (wisely) opt for a 600 or SV. If Suzuki updates its 750 to the same spec as the 1k though, I may be tempted to try that.
xseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:46 AM   #80
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: I don't see the

I've read the same thing about press intros, that the Euro guys are nutters and tend to bin the bikes, as well as be slower than many US journos.

This test does stand as kind of a contradiction to the Master Bike shootout which the 10R won over the Honda and Yamaha and that was populated primarily by experienced racers including (IIRC) a couple BSB riders and a 250GP rider (and though he didn't contribute to the test itself, Randy Mamola), so in that case I would say their testing field was deeper than anything else in motorcycle journalism.

It seems that the European way is to rank the bikes by two basic, but weighted, criteria, and leave it at that----#1 HP, and #2 looks. The Honda, of course, doesn't fare well when up against the others this way.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote