Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-08-2005, 07:39 PM   #11
Somnus
Founding Member

Default She has a website

http://www.elenamyers.com/
Somnus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2005, 07:48 PM   #12
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Re: Yer Right N' Wrong...

True if you are racing. If you are just playing at a track day and have left at home your urge to compete with people other than yourself, then the real thrill is in the corners. It doesn't really matter how fast you make it down the straight other than as a braking exercise before the turn.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #13
Pgbexr
Registered Member

Default Re: She has a website

If I wasn't so secure in myself I'd tell you how emasculating it is for some riders to have a seemingly mild mannered, 12 year old GIRL caning it past you just when you think you've stepped up your game since the last lap.
Pgbexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:20 PM   #14
Brent_Meeker
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Open Supersports Shootout!

Another confused misleading discussion of torque vs power. The transimission on a motorcycle INCREASES torque - not "decreases". The torque at the rear wheel is higher by whatever the overall gear ratio is. Which should also tell you why torque is meaningless. You can have any torque you want at the rear wheell - all it takes is the right gearing. On the other hand power is approximately constant from the engine to the rear wheel; regardless of gearing. Your "area under the curve" theory has a grain of truth in it. If you plot power versus road speed for all the gears on the same plot you find that at any given speed there's one gear that provides the most power. The area under the power curve, always taking the gear that provides the most power at each speed, is a meaningful quantity.
Brent_Meeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:31 PM   #15
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I didn't feel too confused when I wrote it. And a transmission can increase or decrease torque.

I am however, very confused over your point. Are you going somewhere with all of this or just kinda running a parade lap??

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 10:05 PM   #16
ggraham22
Founding Member

Default I made the right choice...

I bought a new bike a week ago after being out of riding for about 7 years. For awhile I was considering the GSXR-1000, but ultimately decided on the SV1000S. The "most fun package that terrifying power comes in" sums it up quite well. Overall I chose the SV because it was more than $3k less out the door, almost half the insurance, and not quite as scary (in theory). I kept telling myself I wanted the 1000 because it would have "torque like a twin". Finally I decided why not just go get a twin! My first bike was a new 95 Kawi Vulcan 750 which was a lot of fun, which is when I fell in love with twins originally. I also owned a new 2001 GSXR-750 for about a month (no crash involved, long story!). I've got about 200 miles on the SV now and I love it. Even staying within the break in constraints (5500 rpm) I can tell it's much faster than I'll ever "need", and the sounds it makes are incredible! Hopefully it has a healthy intake honk at the higher RPMs, but I'll find that out in another 800 miles or so. For now I'll leave the monster liter bikes to the MO masters...
ggraham22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 11:46 PM   #17
nbyers
Registered Member

Default 2005 Open Supersports Shootout! Wow.

Gentlemen (and Sean), this is a wonderful piece of journalism. I can only marvel at the amount of work that went into this....well, I was going to say "article" but there's video, too.

And Martin's physics lesson is like an on-line course. But cheaper.

In 2002 Hackfu and Burns did a similarly super job, but it took them three installments, and there wasn't nearly as much information.

Great work. Thanks.

(and the R1 rules due to pure sex appeal)
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 02:17 AM   #18
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Default Re: I made the right choice...

Yeah, the break in period sucks because you are constanly being teased by the sweet noise. 5500 rpm is barely getting warmed up to the sounds to come. The wail at 9,000 rpm (as well as the thrust) is exciting and addictive. You made a fantastic buying decision with the SV. Enjoy your new ride!
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:19 AM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Best review I've seen on these bikes. Can't beat the vids and pics. I don't think one could go wrong with any of these bikes. They are all waaaaaay better than I could ever be. For me the ZX-10 has the look and feel from a showroom perspective, but these bikes are all so tiny that fitting on them is the trick. I have been looking hard at the Busa LE and may have to take the plunge. I just can't help myself sometimes. A big plus to this story is all you guys are the best looking in all of moto-journalism. (Cough Cough)
Old 05-09-2005, 03:23 AM   #20
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Great article guys. Do you think that the Suzuki would make a successful racing platform?
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote