Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-10-2005, 05:59 PM   #91
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Open Supersports Shootout!

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2005, 07:08 PM   #92
killer5280
Registered Member

Hey Sean, not to hammer you guys too hard or anything, but were y'all around when Doug Chandler helped Cycle World with their test? Doug did a 1:57 and change around Thunderhill on the ZX-10. I know Doug is a world class rider, although admittedly he's not British.-)
killer5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:28 PM   #93
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Yep, Doug is a fantastic rider.

Of course it doesn't hurt that he lives near Thunderhill, has about 100x more laps around the place and wasn't riding on bowling ball-hard tires with a cold....

If you really wanted to rub salt in it.... you could simply point out that mere club racers lap at 1:50.9 on a regular basis and Doug and I are both capable of times in the 1:50 range on a non-obstructed track with a bike that is properly race-prepped. Bottom line... different tires, different days, different lap-traffic situations et cetera...et cetera... ad nauseum.

PS did I forget to mention that Doug Chandler IS more talented than I am? I wonder how his writing skills are.... think he needs a job?

-Sean
Old 05-10-2005, 08:04 PM   #94
ebass
Founding Member

While I didn't get to test 'em on a track or dragstrip, and will readily stipulate that those are crucial components to a thorough assessment, I did spend a dawn until well past dusk 300 mile plus day of flogging these bikes from San Diego to Palm Springs and back through the most twisty routes possible, including Palomar Mountain.

The verdict amongst our crew was unanimous. If you buy anything other than the Gixxer this year, you bought the wrong bike. It was that decisive.
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 04:43 AM   #95
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Did the others have training wheels too?

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 05:24 AM   #96
johnnyb
Founding Member

EEK A SNAKE!! Quick, smother it with your butt!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 05:27 AM   #97
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Dude, you are heinous

-sbp
Old 05-11-2005, 06:31 AM   #98
killer5280
Registered Member

I wonder why the CW article said that Doug's time was only 4 seconds off the outright motorcycle lap record?

Hey, I didn't mean to hurt any feelings; I knew there was a good explantion for the lap time disparity.

I have talked to Doug and he's nowhere near as funny as you are, plus he'd get tobacco chaw juice all over the testbikes.
killer5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 07:30 AM   #99
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Slow traffic was an issue for all of us. I never had a clear lap in a dozen or so sessions over a day and a half. Guys like Sean are fast enough to pass at will but guys like me have to pick our spots more carefully. Lots of traffic, even if I am a little faster than most of them, will slow me down.

Two of us had never been to this track before. In a way that is more honest because at least my lap times reflect more honestly my modest skills rather than home field advantage.

-sbp
Old 05-11-2005, 07:57 AM   #100
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default 100!

One hundredth post!! woooohoooooo!! except for the R1, these things are all ridiculous. U want a Buell. Even mitch boehm likes buells now, as read in Motorcyclist magazine.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote