Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-06-2005, 11:27 AM   #61
imported_softail_1
Registered Member

Default Re: Buying a Motorcycle for the Compulsive or Impulsive- Part I

You will love it.

Sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
imported_softail_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2005, 01:08 PM   #62
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Default Re: Buying a Motorcycle, Part I

My first road bike was a 1980ish Honda Twinstar with 185cc of brute power!! I rode it while stationed at Panama in the 80s. Now, that was fun (the riding, not humping a ruck in the jungle)!

Keep preaching the gospel of small cc bikes for newbies.
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:19 PM   #63
SmokeU
Registered Member

Indeed!!

My dream woman rides her own bike like a pro and can show me up.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:55 PM   #64
TomSmith
Founding Member

Yep, a Whizzer was a motor, etc that you installed in/on a bicycle. It was belt drive to the rear wheel, just like a modern Harley big twin (sort of). The best bike to use was a Schwinn Excelsior (with a springer fork). I couldn't afford one, so I had a standard, rigid bicycle. About 1952, the rich kids could buy a special frame and forks that made Whizzers look almost like real motorcycles. Other kids had Cushman, Powell, or Salisbury scooters. Bob Laidlaw (later owner of a Harley dealership in So San Gabriel) had a Harley 74 big twin when he was a senior in high school - this beat us all. I still have a real Whizzer gas tank that I used for a while on a K-model Harley.
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:30 PM   #65
rmdower
Founding Member

No doubt...where can i find one. They are so scared. Standard question,"Aren't you afraid you'll get hurt." I always answer, "Not being afraid helps me not get hurt." That, and riding proactively (some might say a bit aggressively). Its all a matter of perception.
rmdower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 11:48 AM   #66
rmdower
Founding Member

Default Re: Dude!

your funny
rmdower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 06:22 PM   #67
steppenwoof
Registered Member

1966 Ducati Mach 250..clipons, megaphone, full fairing......clocked by Connecticut State police at 116mph on Rt 91.......Then a Dunstallized Norton Atlas & Bultaco Metralla....
steppenwoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:56 PM   #68
kbuckey
Registered Member

My fondest memory of an X-6 is from 1970. My buddy "Stash Krod" and I passed one in the middle of Crim Dell Corner (any William and Mary Grads out there? And yes I know they've closed the corner and I suspect Stash and I had a lot to do with that). Stash (on his CB-350) took the guy on the outside and I (on my Yamah R-3) got him on the inside. It's a darn good thing they didn't have R-6s back then 'cause I seriously suspect I wouldn't be here now if they did. (I'm much saner now -really)

The R-3 was my second bike and my first "real" motorcycle. My first bike was a Yamaha "Twin Jet 100". Which was also the first one I ever rode. No instruction of course, and you didn't even need a motorcycle endorsement in PA in those days.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:15 AM   #69
starry
Registered Member

Default Re: The Perfect Beginner Bike for sport riders...

I agree the Ninja 250 is a great starter bike. It may even be better than a starter bike I was thinking the Honda 25o nighthawk, inexpensive UJM kind of unsightly and if you drop it you probably won't loose any sleep. A 250 Ninja if I remeber has DIsc brakes front and rear, and a pretty low seat height and a six speed Tranny. THis is a pretty good combination since this is pretty close to what the mechanicals will be on the next bike. The motorcycle dealers sell 650 and small cruisers as starters becasue that is about all they carry. My local Kawasaski dealer will order a 250 ninja if you wnat one but he only has one in the place ditto for a Sherpa. However he as a wide variety of Higher displacement Ninjas scatterd around teh floor rom. I think a 250 sherpa is another good starter bike. Lower seat height than the KLR and is easy to ride.

In fact I think that dealers have a vested interest in providing good easy to ride starters since they maybe making a cusotmer for life if the first expierence is good. Also someday there maybe liability issues.
starry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 01:26 AM   #70
Bobgoblin
Registered Member

1. Learn to ride with Professional Instruction,

2. Identify your needs (reflect on your wants),

3. I ride to work every day in a business suit with a briefcase,

4. I bought a Yamaha Majesty MaxiScooter (auto trannie CVT) with topbox for rain gear...

it is the best thing.

5. I want an FJR 1300? Maybe a T-Max... nah, an FJR 1300... I am saving real hard.
Bobgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote