Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-05-2005, 02:41 PM   #31
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Buying a Motorcycle for the Compulsive or Impulsive- Part I

I fixed up a '73 XS650 for a friend of mine a few years back in exchange for his '78 IT175. When I road tested it I was very impressed with just how crude a motorcycle it was. Ill-handling, weak brakes, enough vibration to make an AMF Sportster seem turbine smooth.

Owning old Japanese bikes is not all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes nostalgia should remain a memory.

Now if I could just find that perfect old Titan I still want.....

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2005, 03:00 PM   #32
saaz
Registered Member

I have mine in the garage too. Lets see how many modern bikes are around in 35 years time..plastic does not degrade as well in landfills!
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 03:31 PM   #33
rmdower
Founding Member

First bike, I bought a 650 V-star Classic. I had it three days before trading it in a V-star 1100. Realized i wanted something faster, so three weeks later I bought my first sports bike: A Yamaha YZF-600r. That wasnt fast enough, so three weeks later I bought a Yamaha YZF-R1. Seven months from the first bike, I bought a Suzuki Hayabusa. Thats everything I had in a total of eight months.

Now, I want a Suzuki V-Strom 650 or a Suzuki DR650SE, and a Truimph Daytona 955i or Speed Triple.

Oh yeah, a Kawasaki ZX6R in monster green.

Then I will figure

All that in a year. Thats how you learn to ride!!! The formula for that is:

College+Skills+Work+Luck+SoCAL(HomeEquity)= Dough for Motorcycles.

Then you can ride all them and figure what to keep, and get some skills. By the way, i had my close calls, two Holy Jesus moments, and only one drop. I was backing out of my garage, and turn to look at some kid on a Razor. Dropped the YZF-R1...ohe well, it has Sliders and was used. No damage.

rmdower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 03:48 PM   #34
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Seven months of riding experience, and now you have a Hayabusa? Man you are really living the "it's better to be lucky than good" life style. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:47 PM   #35
rmdower
Founding Member

The Busa I treat like a Sport Touring machine, not a drag racer. It actually handles quite well on the open road.

I do have skills. I just said these are the bikes I bought. I rode motocross for ten years, but neighbors owned. Then women in my life said I couldnt ride. Dumped the women...made up for lost time. Gonna go to track school at Willow Springs next season. Did MSF Advanced a few months ago.
rmdower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:57 PM   #36
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

You didn't mention your dirt riding experience, which in my book means a lot. Congratulations on dumping the woman that said you couldn't ride. She obviously didn't understand who you are. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:08 PM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

Rule #1: A woman who won't let you ride is the WRONG WOMAN. Don't let your balls do your thinking... well not too much, anyhow.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:33 PM   #38
Fenton
Founding Member

Rm- I've been through 16 bikes in 16 years. Not with quite the hp jumps you have taken. Some days you'll miss the slower ones, some days you'll miss the faster ones. But one thing I found to be true for myself-- Get the bike you are passionate about and don't look back, it won't be your last.(provided the skill meets the demand)
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:29 PM   #39
drthompson65
Founding Member

Today's 600cc machines produce more power than a 1000cc of five years ago and five years ago they where saying those machines aren't for the novice rider either.. If you are looking to get into motorcycles first take a MSF course and use one of the bikes they have. If you like it and you pass your exam than get a SV650 or a Monster SR2, You can find some screaming deals on SV650's. Stay away from today's hyperbikes 1000cc or even the 600cc until you have some time and a track school under your belt. This way you wont be bug splat on some freeway.
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:20 PM   #40
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Dude!

I spent all that time writing my article like a sucker, when you could have presented your "Home Equity Line of Credit/Buy Every Freakin' Motorcycle Made" method of buying a first bike! Boy, did MO hire the wrong guy.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote