Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-02-2005, 03:24 AM   #21
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Dolomites Tour

LOL! Yeah, it's probably behind your 69 Mongomery Ward 125 and that pile of Hodaka parts. BTW, you would happen to have a set of forks from a Geeves, would you? I here there's a paleontologist looking for those.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2005, 04:39 AM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

No doubt the antiquing is great too!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:31 AM   #23
johnnyb
Founding Member

just different speed limits really. Hard to feel pain when you are clinging on at 100mph plus the whole time...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:49 AM   #24
GrufRude
Registered Member

Hoping to make it to Europe in 2007 (kids will be out of college then), but I have to say that the video reminded me of the week my wife and I spent last summer bagging passes in Colorado. 7 days of non-stop GORGEOUS -- the only problem being torn between the joy of railing the roads and the desire to stop to photograph the incredible vistas . . . I think I'm going to invest in a helmet cam!

GrufRude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:51 AM   #25
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

...no, hanging from the rafters, along with the 441, DT2, CL350, AT1MX, RT3 & other exhaust pipes yet to be indentfied.

I did have a '61 Greeves Hawkstone with the rubber doughnut sprung forks, come to think of it. It scattered while some fish was test riding it, but he bought it anyway for "static" display, much like the Jawa pictured. He painted it with silver spray-paint as a joke, even the tires and the seat. Everything.

I saw the bike years later with a 500cc Triumph twin stuck in it (a Grumph). Knew it was once mine from all the silver paint stuck in the nooks and crannies. Spoke nipples, levers..etc.

Nice to see someone has a sense of humor...

Old 05-02-2005, 06:53 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

The real "secret" is Canyonlands and the miles and miles and miles of BLM land. Spring and winter dirtbiking par excellence. The best thing about the Canyonlands area is that there are virtually no facilities. No water, no hookups, no RV dumps..... Keeps out the motorhomes. We've spent an entire week exploring without seeing hardly a single soul. Just stay away from Moab. Even better is the desert south of Wendover, NV.

Dang, now I've let the cat out of the bag.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:16 AM   #27
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yeah, pretty much the same for me, except I was in transit for 1 month trying to catch the Indy.

Went from Lakehurst to Rota, then to Sig, stayed in Sig for three weeks, after some big **** working in personnel insisted I was on the JFK. Flew to the JFK on a C1 (Cod), got an arrested landing, hauled all my shyte down to the mess deck, where they told me I should be on the Indy (?!?) Halued all my stuff back up to the flight deck, and right about then some brown shirt got sucked in an A7, and a Viggie ramp-striked and went over the side, right off the angle.

Could not wait to get off that boat. Got a cat shot off the JFK, flew back to SIG, waited around in SIG for another week (did you ever make the cat house in SIG with the giant red velvet sofas? Surreal).

Anyway, all this time in transit I had been ripping the pay records out of my "jacket" and by the time I hit the Independence, personnel called me down to pay me again. Man, I was rollin' in the green (for an E2 that is). Got paid about 8 times in one month. Hope no one out there works for NIS.

Ahh the sea stories don't stop...and get more interesting as the years go by...
Old 05-02-2005, 10:27 AM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

Ther best sense of humor ever displayed by the Brits was when that Greeves competitor was selling dirtbikes. Do you remember the Villers engined DOT? It was supposed to stand for "Devoid of Trouble".

Old 05-02-2005, 11:29 AM   #29
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yes, the Villers "Starmaker". On early ones (without fins on the transfer ports) the flywheel wasn't keyed on the crankshaft, it was just held on with a giant brass nut, that ran in it's own groove cut into the flywheel. You just got it "good and tight" somewhere around tdc.

I liked the hand-grenade pin ring (for the for foot peg) you had to use when kickstarting the beasts.

The 380 Griffon was neat though, with the giant fins and twin chrome headpipes.

About as relaiable as an intestinal disorder.

Old 05-02-2005, 11:52 AM   #30
maladg
Registered Member

looks like hard limestone rules!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote