Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-22-2005, 03:59 PM   #1
yoavy11
Founding Member

Default Re: Brit Euro Classic Motorcycle Day

My first 1st post!

What is the date for the 2005 happening?
yoavy11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
trumant
Founding Member

May 22nd from 10 - 6 in Germantown, MD. I'm going to try to go myself and will likely have coverage of the event available sometime before mid-June. Maybe I'll see David there.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:40 PM   #3
jungkvist
Founding Member

If I live to be 100 a Brit-bike will still be what comes to mind when I visualize a motorcycle. A classic BSA, candy-apple red, with chromed tank-sides; that's the ticket. One time, the Jones was so overpowering that I considered buying a Royal Enfield. Yeow! How crazy is that?

Yeah, I really admire all the new bikes: fast, reliable, and much more capable than I am. But, somehow they will always be missing something (probably, a puddle of oil).
Old 04-23-2005, 04:11 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Shouldn't all Britbike rallies be held in the geographical center of the country? I mean, how many people can spare the 3 months it would take to ride a BSA from Seattle to Maryland and back? How many people can afford to have someone follow them in a pickup filled with tools and spares?

Maybe it would help if the promoters placed caches of zener diodes around the country.

If you liked the idea that Sturgis is trailercity you'll looove this rally.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:14 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

For me it's the pre-unit Triumph twins with the accessory rack on the tank.

Why not indulge yourself? You can get parts for many of these 40 year old bikes more easily than you can for 14 year old Suzukis.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:56 AM   #6
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Great report - It's always nice to see an occasional article about the old bikes. I had a '64 Bonneville and a '69 Norton Mercury (the last of the Featherbeds), and loved them both. They can be made into reasonably reliable bikes if you are willing to do a bit of work. Nylock nuts are a big help!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:29 AM   #7
sarnali
Founding Member

Early 70's Bonnevilles and Tridents are to me, what a motorcycle should look like. The Hinkley Bonnies come close, especialy the all black version, but the tank seam and kink in the exhaust pipe are incorrect.

My ideal would be to have a new oil tight electricaly reliable version for a daily driver alongside my Trophy, then have an original purple and white '72 Trident for eye-candy and Sunday rides.

Did you ever get the Avons? Want to hear something else? I've got 30k miles in all weather on the stock chain and sprockets and it still doesn't need ajustment. I clean it about every 400 miles or so with CRC 3-36 ride around to fling it off, then spray with Honda Pro chain lube. and it's staying right around 1.5 in. slack. I've never heard of a open chain lasting this long. Amazing, shows the top notch componantes Triumph are using these days.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:14 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

It's hard to think of a more beautiful bike to grace my garage than a 60's Gold Star like this.

Got a couple more thousand miles to burn off the ol' D205 before I try the Avon. Probably be next month. I can't think of the last time I had to adjust, clean or lube the chain on my Suzuki.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:36 AM   #9
sarnali
Founding Member

You don't have to worry about it in Utah because it never rains........

That's a cool website, I'll have to add that to my favorites when I get home.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 01:29 AM   #10
jungkvist
Founding Member

LOL! Good point. Hey! I gotta an idea. You find out where the largest contengent is coming from and follow them. You could make a fortune on Ebay, from the parts you pick-up along side the road.