Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-24-2005, 03:08 AM   #11
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: Brit Euro Classic Motorcycle Day

I'd love indulging myself but it gets me in trouble. Actually, the W-30 Kaw would be more up my ally. Okay, it ain't the real thing; but as a painless commuter and short tourer it would be fine. It might be one of the few bikes that I could climb on and still keep my promise, not to go over 100-mph. Personally, I think it looks more like a mid-sixties Triumph than the Hinkley Bonneville.

What's cool is that the W-30 didn't sell worth beans and, anymore, that's pretty close to the asking price.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2005, 06:51 PM   #12
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

LOL..I mean jeez, how many whitworth screws are left on this planet? How much towrope? Isn't zeiner (Znr2) an outlawed substance?

And they shut down the babbet mines long ago...

Cheers!

Old 04-25-2005, 05:43 AM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

I actually have an old double box end whitworth wrench in a dark dank musty recess of my rollaway. It's a handmedown from some relative who worked in a coal mine in the 1800s. It's a simply amazing tool. Neither end will fit any nut be it SAE or metric. Simply fantastic. I should have it bronzed. I keep it next to my old ducati 250 piston with the head of the exhaust valve buried in the crown.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:06 AM   #14
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I've got 3 whitworth box-open end combos that read XXX, 9, and 1/8 ( the 1/8th is about the size of a 19mm wrench).

They don't fit anything either, but are fun to lend to people when they want to borrow tools. Always seem to get 'em back, btw.

Old 04-25-2005, 06:18 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

I think there's some sort of joke in here about how many mototcycle geeks it takes to make up a full set of whitworth tools.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:08 AM   #16
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Had a '58 T110 with the six pack rack & Smiths ammeter in the headlight shell. Green with white stripes and a Cobra seat. Lucas mag. That was back when I could shift on the right with no problem.

A buddy of mine has it sitting in his garage. Won't sell it back. Bummer.

Old 04-25-2005, 12:20 PM   #17
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

On a completely unrelated topic, this last Saturday I went riding with a buddy who forsake his Â’91 KX500 for a 1 year old KTM EXC 525. Paid big $$$ for it.

This is a guy IÂ’ve been riding with for about 20 years. He always rode open class two strokes. No slouch. One weekend IÂ’d smoke him; next weekend it was the other way around.

So after a few easy rides he goads me into a drag race on the dry lake (El Mirage). I tried to change the subject (knowing this guyÂ’s the ultimate competitive big-bore desert rider, and how heÂ’d feel about getting smoked) but he persisted.

Anyway, my ratty 18-year-old CR500 beat that new 4 striker by 10-15 bike lengths at least. Not even close. Even on top end where you figure a 4 stroke has the advantage.

Later, I rode the Katoom, and it reminded me of a Bucyrus Erie 795. Not impressive. In fact, if that was an example of the "four stroke revolution" IÂ’ll keep my antiquated 500cc 2 stroke, thank you.

It was kind of quite on the ride back homeÂ…

Old 04-25-2005, 07:39 PM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

Oh yeah. My IT175 is quite competitive powerwise against the latest "hot" 4-stroke 250s. There's a lot of self-deception going on because people don't want to admit what a huge step backwards competiton 4strokes are on both track and dirt.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:44 AM   #19
bystander
Founding Member

Love the drily humorous event description and knowledgeable tidbits of bike lore. Sounds like a wonderful event--I hope I can come this year. Please ask David to report on it for those of us who may not make it, though.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote