Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-20-2005, 04:19 PM   #1
staff
Registered Member

Default Re: Gabe's Manifesto

Fsck'ing first post! So there!
staff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2005, 04:47 PM   #2
pdad13
Founding Member

You guys want to propose some kind of ad campaign to promote this idea? I'm in. That's the business I'm in. You get someone to listen, I'll make the campaign happen. Serious.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:51 PM   #3
pdad13
Founding Member

Default You can start here.

Contact some of your manufacturer reps and see if they'll support it in some way. Obviously, It'll be good for them. And MO will get all sorts of publicity and good will throughout the motorcycling community.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:28 PM   #4
bradbarker738
Registered Member

I agree competely. But what can be done? Of the 50-60 people I work with maybe 1 other person would consider using a PTW. What would you offer, a 1% tax reduction, a $200 per year savings in gas? It will get worse before it gets better. Heck, most people I work with wouldn't use one because their hair would be messed up. Like I said, I agree, but it's like trying to dig to the center of the earth with a spoon.

bb

97 Honda Nighthawk 750
Old 04-20-2005, 05:37 PM   #5
tomk2
Founding Member

Like Che Guevera said, "we're more free because we're motorcyclists and we're motorcyclists because we're more free"

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
Aero_Doc
Registered Member

I feel sorry for u guys in the USA, when will ur government figure out more bikes on the road equate to less congestion! - very stupid.

I've riden my bikes 24/7 for the the past 16yrs, clock up 20,000 km per year, save on petrol, get to work quicker and dont have the congestion troubles car drives face.

Aero_doc (Perth Western Australia)

'01 Sprint ST
Old 04-20-2005, 05:44 PM   #7
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Gabe for president! Too bad there's no room for common sense in politics. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:46 PM   #8
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

You've got congestion in Perth? VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:53 PM   #9
sivacor
Registered Member

Default The Utilitarian Motorcyclist

Right on, brother! I couldn't agree with Gabe more, but I really don't see the current situation changing.

Here in South Florida you can ride to work all year round. The sad thing is that I work in a building full of healthy, smart people, yet out of about 500 people, exactly 3 of us regularly commute to work on our bikes. It used to be 4, but one guy had a kid and so he sold his bike - go figure!.

I really think the biggest problem is one of perception. Let's face it, the vast majority of Americans think you have to be nuts or borderline criminal to ride. The media, as usual, plays this drum constantly and thus we only see negative portrayals of people who ride (i.e., recent crap like Torque or Biker Boys). With all due respect, I also believe the media's recent fixation with Choppers also plays to this negative stereotype.

Honestly, I don't see this changing anytime soon, which means that politicians, corporations, and others that decide transportation policy issues are going to continue ignoring all of the valid points made in Gabe's Manifesto.

Of course, I really hope I'm wrong about this. Perhaps the combination of big gas price increases and the steadily increasing frustration among commuters will cause people to consider motorcycles as a viable transportation alternative. But again, I don't think so.

Instead, I've come to accept my minority within a minority status. I'm just a utilitarian motorcyclist. 99% of Americans will never understand my reasons for riding to work, which in the end is fine with me.

sivacor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:54 PM   #10
kdfman
Registered Member

Get up *later*??? What planet is this guy from? Oh yeah, Kalifornia - where it is legal to lane-split.

For the rest of us, it takes LONGER to commute on a motorcycle - getting suited up, earplugs, helmet, gloves, boots on, motorccyle out of the garage, get off, close up garage, sit in traffic like a chump just like the cagers.... repeate in reverse order once at work... If I drive I just walk out the door, jump in the car, twist the key and GO.

And because I drive a modern diesel car I get nearly just as good mileage as the bikes I own, and BETTER than many liter-plus hogs (ha!) on the road.

Commute distance 19 miles

Commute time for me in a car: 20 minutes & 50mpg

on one of my motorcycles: 35 minutes & 42-70mpg depending on bike

on one of the scooters: 1 hour & 50-70mpg depending on which. (plus expensive 2T oil)

Plus motorcycles are far FAR dirtier in emissions per mile travelled than modern passenger cars, even new FI & CAT equipped bikes.

Of course I still do it because I LOVE to ride.. but certainly not for any sort of time savings or mileage.

Brian in StL