Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-21-2005, 08:37 AM   #81
VFR750SK
Founding Member

Default Re: Gabe's Manifesto

I worked in downtown Calgary for one summer and bikes were allowed to park on any sidewalk as long as it didn't interfere with pedestrians. Parking for a car was at least $10/day and you usually still had to walk a ways. I parked just outside my building for free. As far as saving time on the way to work, since lane splitting is illegal it doesn't make much difference. Still motorcycles are the best commuters, I would ride all year if it wasn't for -40°C and snow for 5 months of the year in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
VFR750SK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2005, 08:53 AM   #82
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Too late

We're already in the limelight. And for mostly all the wrong reasons. Everytime someone is killed on a motorcycle, or is involved in a high speed chase, or do something really stupid on a bike, the media snaps it up far sooner and with more relish than the exponentially higher of number incidents that are caused by people that use "safe" and "sensible" transportation.

I do understand your point, though. There are risks in opening such a debate. But it does provide a big opportunity to dispell some of the negative perceptions and wives tales that swirl around two-wheelers.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:58 AM   #83
pdad13
Founding Member

Totally agree. The education/information is just part of the package. It's usefull to give the public, especially non-riders, sound reasons as to why these things are being done.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:58 AM   #84
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Che lives!
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:05 AM   #85
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Good point...My buddy has a mini-van and it's easier to load his bike in his van than my brother-in-laws pickup... Chrysler had a good commerical once about why a minivan was better than a SUV. I think they pulled it when te new redesigned Durango came out. Of course there all those jokes and commericals about being stuck in minvan. I think Harley had one.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:13 AM   #86
tomk2
Founding Member

How ironic that the only concentration camp in present day Cuba is run by the US government and Fidel Castro has a lower percentage of his population in jail than any US state.

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:24 AM   #87
Chango
Founding Member

I generally average about 33-35 miles per gallon when I ride my GSX-R through town a lot, but I also only averaged about 33-35 in my car, back when I had one. But, I get more like 42 on the highway at legal speeds (same as the car), and (here's the funny part) I get even better mileage if I speed up. I get my best mileage at about 95 miles per hour, 53 miles per gallon, versus 23 from the car at 95. I guess it's something to do with where and how the engine makes the power. I honestly don't know, but I don't care. (Honestly, officer... I'm just trying to get better gas mileage...)
Old 04-21-2005, 09:31 AM   #88
Chango
Founding Member

He'll be fine in Bolivia, as long as he stays out of Vallegrande, a lovley city about halfway between Cochabamba and Santa Cruz. But the folks in Vallegrande talk funny anyway, so why would you want to go, even though it's quite lovely? Bolivian Spanish in general is interesting, at least according to my Spanish professors in college, but Vallegrande Spanish is particularly fun to listen to.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:35 AM   #89
abogado
Registered Member

Hey pattonme

Great comment. I will have to be wearing a suit almost daily at my new job, but as it will be in SF, I dread the idea of driving anywhere. I will be picking up an sv to commute on, keeping suits at the office, and finding a drycleaner nearby. (As an aside BART would be MUCH less expensive if we subsidized it the same way we subsidized roads).

However, I dont think that it is the only problem. I think the US has another fundimental problem, and that is the lack of infrastructure.

In the bay area, especially SF, motorcycles and scooters are a viable alternative. New york they are viable as well, but that is because there is a public transportation infrastructure as well, and for the rare occasion, hired taxi service. WIth this combination, cars become impractical, as every transportation need is sufficiently met.

However, many places in the US are simply not designed to make non-car based travel practical for the majority of the population. With LA being the biggest example of this.

Los Angeles (where I currently live) is the most tragic example (in the US) where the market (business interests) and, yes racism, propelled the development of a monstrosity of a city. Here, suburban sprawl, and the deliberate removal of public transportation, created an urban nightmare that makes the shape of the city fundemenatal to the diminishing of quality of life.

It is not too late though. Take Mexico City for example. Nightmare to drive, as the city really is not built for it, but the subway system is superb. The funny thing is that there is a huge class (and race) seperation, where the poorer citizens mainly take public transportation, but they are getting the really good end of the deal. Hop on the metro, accross the city in no time. (and it is a seriously big city)
abogado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:38 AM   #90
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Unibomber Manifesto

...and my boat gets a $110.00 "luxury" tax every year, and it's 25 years old!

If you ride a dirtbike in the forest, you better have a "forest pass" on the dashboard of your truck, 'cause if not a $200.00 ticket will greet you upon your return (this on top of the green sticker fee, your trucks registration, gas tax, tea tax, etc).

Thank I'll move to Mexico where anything goes. And you can get away with it, 'cause no one cares.

No more smog checks! Yes to loud Pipes! Yes to Volkswagens! Yes to no brake lights and high sulphur diesels! Yes to air you can see, as well as breathe.

Kalifornia Uberallis!