Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-21-2005, 08:19 AM   #71
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Gabe's Manifesto

Was this before or after he murdered countless thousands in Cuba's concentration camps?
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2005, 08:32 AM   #72
vanion2
Founding Member

While education always sounds like a great idea, I still think incentives will do far more than any positive propoganda. Marked parking, tax incentives and rebates.

The main reason I ride to school and work is because I can park right next to where I need to be and a motorcycle parking permit on campus costs 30% less than the cheapest car permit you can get (which you have to commute to the campus via a shuttle = 30 minutes). And at the gas station I have had people approach me about my mileage as well. When it costs $7 to fill up a tank of 91 Octane on an R6 vs $24 of 86 Octane on a 04 Toyota Corolla why would I not ride? I still get better mileage on the bike than my 38 mpg car.

For those who feel suit-up time + commute takes too long then stick with your car. Suit-up + warm up + commute takes me 10 minutes less time than just jumping in my car and going on average. And I wear full protective gearing.

Tell someone about the positives and they will say "that's interesting." Offer them incentives and they will actually pay attention. Money always talks louder than any politician (just ask the politicians).
vanion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:41 AM   #73
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Hey Guys

You guys are starting to give me the willies. The finger smelling thing is getting to me! LOL
Old 04-21-2005, 09:09 AM   #74
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Great idea, but unless there is a major change in the mindset of the average American, itÂ’ll never happen. A look at the current crop of gas guzzling behemoths affirms that the average Joe could care less about mileage, the environment or that motorcycle in the rear view mirror.

We could work it like Europe, where you actually park your automobile on a railway flat car, and the train takes you to your destination. See, youÂ’ll never get the average American out of his or her car, but you can make the car a "delivery vehicle" to get it off the road at peak congestion times. The driver can read the paper, drink coffee, and listen to the radio. Relax. Once the train hits the depot, the car drives off the platform and to the ultimate destination. Unlike the current system where the train dumps you off in the middle of nowhere, and you have to take the bus or cab to the ultimate destination. I know one person who parks a decrepit Pinto close to the depot, so they can make it to work without taking the bus (after arriving in Inglewood from Simi via commuter train).

But the insurance companies and other weasels that make big bucks out of traffic congestion will never let that happen. ItÂ’s like the drug problem. Far too many people with big buck careers and special interests in the root cause to really want to find a solution.

Until then, get a cheap fast motorcycle and learn to split lanes. Also, one with forward-looking radar, what with all the mattresses, ladders, wood pallets, bumpers, etc. on the freeways anymore.

Old 04-21-2005, 09:10 AM   #75
kdfman
Registered Member

well no, not really. I just leave in the bare nick-of-time in the morning and evening to beat the pile-up. (I-64/US 40 from Kingshighway to I-270 in St. Louis if you're familiar).

If something sets me back as little as 5 minutes (such as a stalled bus on Kingshighway likeyesterday) it takes almost an hour to drive.

Once on the highway, traffic is typically moving 75mph in the fast-lane despite a 55mph speed limit. I don't ride 75mph even on my one bike capable of such a speed, especially when surrounded by half-asleep insane cagers.

My motorcycles include a Ural, a Royal Enfield, a Moto Guzzi v50 and a Guzzi Breva 750. The Breva willl do 75mph easily, but for the others 60mph is it. That means staying in the right lane and extending my commute a good 15 minutes since my average moving speed drops to like 40mph.

My riding gear is a one-peice Aerostich Roadcrafter, so I don't know how you could possibly improve on that. Plus I can wear jeans and my boots at work. Suiting up an donning all the sundries still takes longer than just walking out the door into my car and bolting. - My garage is un-attached and 50 yards from the house, so going back-and-forth getting the bike out and suiting up, etc is unfeasable.

with the scooters (60's Vespas) I am relegated to surface streets and thus takes an hour or more.

It's just not practical as a time-saver for me. I understand that for many poeple - ie those who can lane-split - it would be, or those who risk riding at extra-legal speed in rush hour or who don't wear proper riding gear - it can be, just not for me.

And yeah - I could totally benefit from lane-splitting. I've of those 19 miles 6 are stop-and-go city streets that I could filter to the head of the queue at, or when some small disturbance causes a pile-up on the highway, or when I get stuck on a phone call and I'm 3 minutes getting out from work in the evening.

-B
Old 04-21-2005, 09:13 AM   #76
Haird
Founding Member

A few things I noticed on a trip to Paris last year:

1) Gasoline cost the equivalent of about $5/gallon; diesel about $4.

2) Lots of people wearing suits rode motorcycles and scooters.

3) Many motorcycles and scooters have insullated cuffs around the hand controls and/or windshields that extend up and back over the head.

4) At almost any stoplight there are 5-10 motorcycles at the head of th line.

5) Motorcycles are parked everywhere you look on the sidewalk.

6) When driving on the freeway, lane-splitting motorcycles pass left and right even when you are doing 70-80 mph.

7) Half the cars on the road are diesels.

My conclusion: motorcycles and diesel cars can be taken seriously as transporation -- if gas prices get high enough.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:26 AM   #77
tonyharrah
Founding Member

You get better than 38mpg on your R6? I only get 33mpg on my 6R--my Saturn gets 38-42. I still ride the bike because the fun I have going to and from work more than makes up for it.
tonyharrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:27 AM   #78
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Amen. (Except for #2)
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:29 AM   #79
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Although I agree with Gabe as the distance increases and especially when the only route is a congested freeway where you have the ability to lane-split, I don't ride to work for some of the same reasons as this. I live about 6 miles from work and the time it takes to get suited up, warm up the bike, close the garage door, etc., then change once I get to work (I'm not going to wear dress shoes on my bike), makes riding impractical for me in particular. It would take more actual time and effort to ride than it would to drive.

Although as the price of gas has gone up I have considered it on those grounds alone, substituting my time for money.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:32 AM   #80
kdfman
Registered Member

why these people don't understand that anything their non-boat/horse trailer/rv towing SUV can do, a minivan can do BETTER, at about twice the mileage. AND fit a motorcycle or two inside when not hauling snot-nosed spawn. *sigh*

B