Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-21-2005, 06:27 AM   #61
ebass
Founding Member

Default Re: Gabe's Manifesto

The issues you point out relative to telecommuting are in some cases valid relative to the need for at least occasional collaboration, and if that is a major part of one's function then maybe a telecommute is not well suited to their job. If a weekly meeting would suffice then you still lopped off 4 out of 5 commuting days. Most of the problems in efficiency that you describe are indicative of old dogs trying to learn new tricks. And like old dogs, if they don't want to learn, then they can just keep getting beat on (in this case by a 2-3 hour per day commute). Future generations (and forward thinking present ones) won't have these kinds of "resistance to change issues". They'll learn to manage their time and work effectively electronically from practically the moment they leave the womb. The direction of the future is clear, and it ain't back into the office.
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2005, 06:29 AM   #62
ebass
Founding Member

Sure, if that's your thing, but I'm gonna hafta pass on smelling your fingers afterwards.
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:35 AM   #63
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Down This Road...

I currently ride to work at least 2 to 3 times a week most of the year. I do agree we need to be more visible as a group.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:45 AM   #64
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Moto-Economics

I agree that maintaining a Ducati 998 or GSXR1000 would run more than maintaining a Honda Civic, but how about per-mile costs of a Nighthhawk 750 compared to a gas-guzzler like a VW Touareg? The VW gets 15 mpg (in real life, not the EPA test loop), is $400 a month to lease and another $200 a month to insure. If it has the summer performance 18" tires that will cost you big bucks every 20k.

The Honda gets 50mpg, costs about $20 a year to insure, and payments are almost nothing if you find a clean used one for $3000 and put it on your credit card. You can use cheng-chin tires for $90 a set and do oil changes yourself in 10 minutes.

I don't have time to do the math, but I'm guessing if you compare apples to apples (economy car to economy bike, luxury/sports car to luxury/sports bike), bikes are marginally cheaper.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:46 AM   #65
Tigercub
Founding Member

We could consume less. Take a job only within walking distence of home. I think if we all tried to get along on about $10,000 a year, still more income that most people in the world, we'd delay the destruction of the planet as we know it.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. Just kidding!! I'm all for the Bush doctrine of consume as much and as fast as possible and pray to The Almighty for forgiveness during the Second Coming!

Ha, ha, ha,ha,ha. No really, our tenure on this planet is going to be very short. Intelligent life has no record of success. We're alone in this Universe!

Enjoy it while you can exploit it!!

Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:48 AM   #66
rsleeper
Registered Member

It's about a 35 min (16 mile) commute for me wheather I drive or ride, all city streets for the most part. I'm a desk-jockey, so as long as I have my PDA and Nextel I'm good to go.

I'm a nOOb and I ride a '90 VTR 250 Interceptor (30+ HP / 65 MPG). Insurance is dirt cheap and when I do decide to get a bigger bike, I'll still keep the "two-fiddy" to commute on.

Living in NW Indiana you see a ton of cruisers all over the place on the weekends. If just a fraction of those started to commute, I'm sure it would help...although the noise level would be deafening
rsleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:49 AM   #67
Tigercub
Founding Member

The debate would just confirm everone's fears, suspiciouns and hatred that motorcycles are no good, useless at best and a drag on society. Let's not get into the limelight.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:50 AM   #68
rsleeper
Registered Member

Default Re: Sorry mate...

I define my Neon...my Neon does not define me!

And you're spot on about dem fries!!
rsleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:52 AM   #69
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Disagree..... Nothing to do with old dogs... Again look at the actual of % of jobs that could be done remotely.....I think you are overstating the impact by a mega amount....Again look at Microsoft. Go to Redmond... Ask them ......Ok course they will probably tout their Net Meeting software.... Nothing to do with resistance to change but has everthing to do with productivity and daily collaboration.. I work in a industry that changes daily.....Weekly meetings hardly sufficed. Perhaps in your occupation ... writer/indivdual contributor... You should do an article about ... Do some research ...I bet you will surprised we (management) were. i.e. we believed the hype at first (spent mega amout of bucks on it).
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:18 AM   #70
dogcatfud
Registered Member

Default Re: Yeah, that's brilliant!

Gabe, nicely written manifesto. I went to San Francisco for vacation last month and was amazed at the motorcycling culture there. Never before have I seen so many dedicated spots to park motorcycles/scooters, and for only 10 cents an hour. Riders were everywhere, not only on the weekend and they seem to prefer standards and dual-sports. And I noticed that they have lane-splitting down to an art form.

It seems as though the Bay Area is more motorcycle tolerant than most other places I have been to. I live in Pennsylvania and the only place where I have seen "motorcycle only" spots were in State College, and even those were far in between. Lane-splitting will result in bodily and motorcycle damage since cagers will actively subvert any rider brave enough to attempt it.
dogcatfud is offline   Reply With Quote