Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-21-2005, 05:44 AM   #51
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Texas Lanesplitting

The AMA rep told me that they are supporting bills legalizing lanesplitting in TX and WA. You can use the HOV lane because the Federal Governement requires states to allow motorcycles to use them as part of freeway act funding.

Keep riding! I'm glad you enjoyed my article.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2005, 05:58 AM   #52
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Down This Road...

Really all I'm asking is for current motorcyclists (of which there are about 4 million registered owners) to join the ranks of regular PTW commuters. (of which there are only 178,000 or 4% of motorcylicts, or one tenth of one percent of the total commuters- more people walk to work!)

I know that most people don't want to ride motorcycles. That's fine. But if we show them that it's safe, fun, practical and economical to ride motorcycles to work, maybe after a few years-or decades- motorcycles will be regarded differently.

Ride to work!

Old 04-21-2005, 06:00 AM   #53
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Gabe's Manifesto

"here is one factor working to reduce traffic and I predict that it will have an exponential impact in coming years, and that is telecommuting. "

Been there done that for 2 years before I went into management. Remember the old saying "We can't base an economy on everyone selling hamburgers and tacos to each other" this was during the time when we were (still are losing) manufacturing jobs at record rates. People said we were turning into a info based/services economy. I submit that a new saying is "we can't base a economy on selling information to each other". The company I work for, 100,000 employees +, went through a period of promoting telecomuting as means to reduce office space. Problem was that even folks in the IS jobs found their productivity slipped etc. Now folks are coming back to traditional ways in large numbers. The savings to the company were overblown as well. The savings in rent vs lost productivity, company paid cell phones and high speed connections. We engineers which tend to collaborate via white boards etc found using tools like Net Meeting were great for marketing Power Point stuff but insufficient for our uses... Keep in mind even Bill Gate's Microsoft maintains large campus' because they don't believe everything can be done effectively virtually. Not everyone uses a keyboard for living even in the non-maual labor caste.... So I disagree with your point 3 but the other points are good..
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:02 AM   #54
pdad13
Founding Member

You make some good points, but they are a bit micro-focused. I live in a state (NY where lane splitting is not legal, so I am forced to cue up in line. But being that almost every vehicle has only one occupant, I spend a lot of time waiting on a long line of cars at traffic lights (and jams), sometimes for up to three cycles of the light. Now assuming you can fit approximately two to three bikes in the same space as a car/SUV, how much of an impact could be made if 10 or 15% of those cars on line were converted to two-wheelers? My guess is that it would be pretty significant just that that small respect.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:03 AM   #55
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Excellent Points. Like the motorcycle lane idea....
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:03 AM   #56
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Would that mean I could only have phone sex with the Overstock.com girl?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:05 AM   #57
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Yeah, that's brilliant!

We'll move 150 million people to the uncrowded, bucolic wilderness. Of course, we'll have to build lots of massive freeways, shopping centers, industrial parks and 50 million 3000 square foot houses on 1/8 acre lots, as that's how Americans like to live.

Soon you will also live in a "hive". Of course you can always move again. I'd like to suggest Antarctica.

Problem solved! I wish I wasn't "dumb" and had as much "sense" as you do, but I've lived in San Francisco my whole life and will only leave permenantly to go to Colma (you San Franciscans know what I'm talking about!)

Thanks for reading!

Old 04-21-2005, 06:23 AM   #58
pdad13
Founding Member

Buzz, I agree.

WeÂ’ve got an HOV lane on the L.I.E., once known at "The worldÂ’s largest parking lot," and while it hasnÂ’t enticed too many people to carpool, it can be really handy on a bike, assuming to donÂ’t get stuck behind some codger who wonÂ’t go over 50mph. But even thatÂ’s better than sitting in stop and go traffic.

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:23 AM   #59
allthatwanders
Founding Member

I like the way they do it in India. Saw a family of 4 (maybe 5) on a 100 cc motorcycle going against traffic on and off the side walk that looked like an earthquake had hit it. It really reminded me of a video game with a whole lot of people between the bicycles, three-wheelers, mopeds, motorcycles, random pigs, horse drawn carts, stray children, lorrys, buses....but they kept moving and with few accidents (well, thats relative).

Ah Rochester NY, heavy traffic means a 10-15 min wait, but still has the advantages of a city. Problem is it was in the eighties this week, but next week snow is forcasted. Even if you popularized motorcycles in northern cities, you'd only get a few crazies doing it in the winter months. It might be fun, cheap, easy whatever, but freezing your digits off takes all of the mojo out of it.
allthatwanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:27 AM   #60
allthatwanders
Founding Member

Default Re: Some ya'll might be missin' the boat

Really motorcycles just face a PR problem that won't go away until some rich and or powerful people decide to work on it.
allthatwanders is offline   Reply With Quote