Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-22-2005, 04:41 AM   #111
djamora
Founding Member

Default Re: Gabe's Manifesto

You article is insightful, but preaches to an already knowing community. There are several flaws with this solution that IÂ’d like to point out. First, at a high level motorcycles and scooters are a logical common sense choice. However, common sense is not common even amongst scholars. Secondly, a vast majority of people in the US view motorcycling as fatally dangerous. Even beginner riders who crashed in there first few years, typically donÂ’t ride again and have a negative attitude towards the safety of bikes. Thirdly, as a motorcyclist for 17 years I find commuting a very dangerous choice. Why? Driver skills (not education) in the US is a joke. Because of this drivers are inattentive, make unsafe mindless maneuvers, and already have problems processing the volume of large vehicles around them. Imagine if there were even more motorcycles with the cars. It would be panic for many of them. Ever been to Italy where there are more scooters on the road than cars? It is busy in deed! Sure there are solutions to these problems, but they are long term and would not provide appreciable benefits in the near future and Americans are typically not long term thinkers.
djamora is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2005, 04:43 AM   #112
jungkvist
Founding Member

Guess I should have quilfied things by saying, in the "civilized" world. Here, you can steal billions and get-off with minor restitution and some bad press, while a couple ounces of weed can get you a pretty-good stretch.

Sorry, I didn't realize that having a larger percentage of our populatioin in prison than Russia was something to be proud of.

Thank you. Be assured that I have been properly chastised, and shamed.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:29 AM   #113
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: Drink much Kool-Aid?

Oh golly, you've been listening to the tales of a right wing kook exile community.

Ya gotta watch what you believe from those kinda people .... imagine what might happen if ya had an administration incompetent enough to let those kind of paid liars lead the country into a pointless quagmire that cost $300 billion dollars and the lives of 1,600 soldiers.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:35 AM   #114
me262le
Registered Member

As many of you already stated, the answer is just to ride. The more bikers that commute to work, the more visibility for our cause. After a 15 year break from riding, I decided to start up again, mainly because of gas prices and traffic, a least thatÂ’s what I told my wife. The main reason was that I just missed the sport.

About a year ago, I picked up a used 81 Yamaha Seca in good shape for $1500 (only 4K on the clock) because no one makes a sport/standard middleweight with a shaft anymore (wanted something that could easily split lanes). I commute 140 miles to & from work, rain or shine (I love my Fieldsheer riding suit), I get 55mpg and look forward to the ride. And the best stress reliever for me is taking the long way home on one of the many canyon roads we have here in Southern Kalifornia.

Now after a year of commuting, my department went from 0 to 5 bikers commuting to work. This is mainly from co-workers coming up to me asking about commuting on my bike. I recommended, and they all pasted the Motorcycle Safety Course before getting their bikes. Now we routinely have rides thru the canyons and down to the beach during lunch, to break up the day.

Like I said just ride, people will come to you..

Cheers,

me262le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:41 AM   #115
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Unibomber Manifesto

Real men breathe air that you can cut with a knife!
Old 04-22-2005, 05:47 AM   #116
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Drink much Kool-Aid?

As opposed to Democrat administrations that have led us into wars that have killed hundreds of thousands of soldiers?

Glass houses , y' know.

I think it was PJ O'Rourke who commented that Castro had reduced one of the most productive cultures in the world to a level where they boil rocks for soup.

It is true that everyone in Cuba gets to see a doctor for free! Of course those doctors can't even get aspirin......

And people who risk their lives to be free of communist murders are now all right wing kooks, eh?

Well, someone is a kook. That's sure.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:54 AM   #117
seruzawa
The Toad

Get with the program, man. Republicans under George Bush, Jr are a greater danger and more evil than Josef Stalin or Pol Pot! Don't you know anything?

And people who flee totalitarian tyranny are all right wing kooks.

You deal with people who try to kill you by sending good vibes.

Jeez. Don't you know anything?
Old 04-22-2005, 05:54 AM   #118
aspd
Registered Member

Gabe's right in many ways, and the Che image is great: I'd buy that T-Shirt, especially as a part of a motorcycle transportation publicity campaign. But I'd echo the other posters who point out that there are cars (Jetta TDI, Toyota Prius, Honda Civic Hybrid, etc.) whose gas mileage is at least as good as my motorcycle's and whose emissions are far less due to the stringent emissions controls to which cars must adhere. Like frankiejr, I live in a city (much smaller than Boston) and commute, whenever I can, on my bicycle. I'm in better shape as a result, I enjoy my commute more, bicycling sharpens my motorcycling balance and reflexes, I spend much less money, and parking is no issue at all (I park my bike in a corner of my office). Motorcycles are an important part of the solution, but I think that what we're looking at here is a multidimensional problem. As Gabe points out, more highways simply lead to greater strain on the infrastructure, and our nation has developed into its current state largely because of cars and freeways. My personal solution is to think in terms of what I'm doing that day: my first choice is my bicycle. If I can't use that for whatever logistical reasons, I prefer the motorcycle. If not that, then the last choice is my car. (Public transport in this town is not much faster than walking, so that's out.)

Anyway, viva Gabe!
aspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:14 AM   #119
gniewko
Registered Member

Just because lane splitting is illegal doesn't mean that you can't do it. I live in NY and do it all the time. You just have to keep an eye out for cops, which is pretty easy in heavy traffic, since they can't sneak up on you from behind.
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:32 AM   #120
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Some ya'll might be missin' the boat

Honda has been selling millions of motorcycles for decades with a positioning that is the antethesis of the outlaw/bad boy biker, so I don't really agree that Honda, among others, is really cultivating or profiting from a wholly negative or "outlaw" image.

Yes, part of motorcycling's appeal is that it is somewhat risky and adventureous (God, I hope that never changes), but that doesn't mean we have to be viewed as a bunch of crazies and thugs.

I don't accept the idea that the image of motocyclists is set in stone. That fact that it has become so fashionable among more and more people is proof of that things are changing. Perceptions can and do change.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote