Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Gabe's Manifesto (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2751-gabes-manifesto.html)

pdad13 04-21-2005 01:39 PM

Re: Some ya'll might be missin' the boat

I ride to work as much as possible, too. Actually makes the commute fun (except on bad traffic days). No doubt motorcycling is more popular today than it's been in 20 years. But you'll always hear the positive stuff from people who, at least on some level, approve. It's the negative stuff that you're not as likely to hear. And I'm sure the San Fran area has a more accepting culture as a whole.

While motorcycling has become more accepted, there is still a love/hate thing going on. A lot of people seem to think it's a cool thing to do, but still think you must be a bit nuts if you ride. Several people I've known said that they really dislike most motorcyclists--we've got a squid epidemic around here--and some others are really, really disturbed by excessively loud pipes. I've even known people who think that motorcycles should be outlawed and more than a few who simply cannot fathom why I would "risk my life." So all is certainly not rosy in this neck of the woods.

It seems to me that when something as controversial as motorcycling gains popularity, the opponents are likely to become more adverse to it. You could argue if that we let these stereotypes persist and grow, we're missing a good opportunity to improve our image.

Just that fact that these two friends fear that they may be seen as, say, unprofessional or wreckless can be seen as some evidence that there is still a pretty significant image problem hanging about.

johnnyb 04-21-2005 02:20 PM

Re: Gabe's Manifesto

right, gas prices have to go up and income has to go do down. damn, maybe G. Bush had it in mind to protect the environment the whole time and we were unable to divine his methodology!! soon a clapped out citroen 2CV will be a sign of wealth in US too..

mile_eater 04-21-2005 02:32 PM

Re: Yeah, that's brilliant!

Quick moron... take the entire world's population... around 6 billion right? good. Now divide by the number of acres in the continental US.

Got it?

Maybe now you realize that the world doesn't have anything resembling a population problem, or a traffic problem.

Only certain small segments of it do, and you choose to live in one of them.

jungkvist 04-21-2005 06:35 PM

We're number one! We're number one!

In prison population.

fizzchem 04-22-2005 02:15 AM

Re: Drink much Kool-Aid?

Fidel still jails dissidents. Still murders families. Still keeps his people impoverished.

No one is fleeing on leaky vessels TO CUBA.

Numbnuts.

fizzchem 04-22-2005 02:17 AM

One: that's false, see: China.

Two: That's because other countries kill their "criminals."

Suppose Mugabe imprisoned his enemies instead of eating them.

Three: Put down the Kool-Aid.

Stonedog 04-22-2005 03:46 AM

Re: Too late

"...or do something really stupid on a bike..."

Yes!

If anyone reading this lives in Atlanta and rides I-20 east popping monos at 80+mph and/or lane splits at 11pm - STOP. I don't care if you guys kill yourselves but you're ruining it for the rest of us!

Sorry, had to say that.

Jon

jungkvist 04-22-2005 04:21 AM

Re: Some ya'll might be missin' the boat

Good lord! Yes, I think we could use more-positive coverage. But, I don't see that happening. Trends being what they are, motorcycles will have an outlaw image for the foreseeable future; it's just too tasty to go away. Too bad, the conflict between image and actions - looking from the ourside in - isn't that far off, sometimes.

Motorcycling is a broad-spectrum activity; we know it but the gerenal public doesn't. Cant' really blame the Gen-Pub for what they think, since some of us give them plenty of ammunition: squids, loud pipes and rows of bikes in front of bars. After all, it's kinda hard to deny being a lunatic, when you're wearing a live chicken on your head.

Changing that image will be almost impossible, it's been cultivated and commented on for too long. Besides - and you know this better than most - manufacturers know it SELLS (give any dog a bone, that big, and it ain\'t likely to let go.

However, while motorcycles have been tarred with a really, really, nasty brush, scooters are way below the radar and could be promoted, and possibly accepted, as family friendly. They\'re just too cute for anyone to seriously hate.

dogcatfud 04-22-2005 04:25 AM

Re: Gabe\'s Manifesto

Don\'t the Euros also sneer at automatic transmissions?

My pipe dream: All SUVs and minivans are sold with stick shift. Soccer moms and dads learn to drive instead of playing with electronic gizmos, applying makeup, reading books, scolding rugrats, etc.

tumbler 04-22-2005 04:28 AM

Re: Gabe\'s Manifesto

I live in a much different riding environment than east and particularly west coasters. I ride the bike when I can, but weather is often the determining factor. I think microcars are a much more realistic answer to this problem just because of their all-weather potential, almost equivalent gas mileage, easy of use, and less preparation time to use.