Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-20-2005, 03:34 AM   #51
wolfpack_fan
Registered Member

Default Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

On the flip side, because it's a federal ticket it does not effect your license/insurance unless you refuse to pay it. Just pay the ticket and you're done--unlike your typical North Carolina ticket where you pay the fines then pay your insurance agent. And pay, and pay and pay again...

My buddies and I have always treated the BRP with a bit of respect. More blue-hairs are going to be relaxing and sight seeing on the parkway, and they have just as much right to be there as motorcyclist do. We try to keep the speed down, not pi$$ anyone off, and, as others have said, use the side roads off the parkway for more spirited riding. The Parkway is not particularly tight anyway--you'd have to do 80+ on a modern sport-tourer to make it challenging.
wolfpack_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2005, 03:38 AM   #52
seruzawa
The Toad

Yes, keep it up. I'll help you.

Idaho also has marauding bands of wild Indians and is populated entirely by gun-toting white supremacists. There is no running water in most hotels either.

Utah is owned and operated by polygamists and you will be required to undergo a short quarantine period at the border.

Wyoming is overrun with drunken cowboys in pickups who wear rubber dildos on their noses and delight in running tourists off the road.

So be warned. Stay away from all the Mountain States! Go to wonderful civilized California and ride all the wonderful roads there. Stay the f&^K away from here!
Old 04-20-2005, 04:22 AM   #53
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Never saw the movie, but the cartoon Betty was hot. And I blame Wilma for my preference for redheads.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:39 AM   #54
team222
Founding Member

Riding the Blue Ridge is alot like when I was a young kid on a Merry-Go-Round........after a few minutes it's the same ole, same ole, same ole.....over and over and over.

Views are the same more/less, 45mph speed limit is same more/less and all this wonder is filled with tourons in cars and trucks that once one gets behind....that is your new view of nature for what seems to be hours.

I say forget the Blue Ridge and spend a day graveling north or south on local rountes that connect the roads that go up to and down the other side of the Blue Ridge or if you want great views without the tourons get on over to the Gap area or Marlinton WV.

Blue Ridge Parkway = Same views for hundreds of miles and boredom.....

Mike
team222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:21 AM   #55
gr8shandini
Registered Member

Whoa, there. Easy with the S word. Yes, I ride quicker than the law would like. But I've never exceeded about 8/10 of my skill which translates into about 5/10 of what the bike is capable of. I've never wheelied, never stoppied, and never crossed a double yellow in a turn.

And yes, in an ideal world, a steady 60 would be a great pace. However, having just spent 20 miles waiting patiently behind a line of sightseers doing 30, we opened 'em up to get around. We had enough room to do well over the ton, but we happened to be at about 85 when we got done passing the four vehicles ahead of us. I don't know what you ride, but my bike is perfectly happy at that speed and it seemed reasonable to stay there until the next turn which was good for about 55 or 60. What can I say? Some of us actually enjoy downshifting and braking occasionally.

All I was trying to do was relate what I thought was an entertaining anecdote and make the point that if you want to do some peg scratchin' the Parkway ain't the mecca this article makes it out to be.
gr8shandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:20 AM   #56
tooths
Registered Member

I have the good fortune of living just N of Charlotte, NC, an hour south of the BRP. I've motorcycled and bicycled the entire length of the parkway many times, including Skyline Drive in VA. Some observations... Best views: 1. Linn Cove viaduct, 2. the section between Roanoke and VA 43 going toward the Peaks of Otter (a narrow ridge with views both N and S), 3. Mt. Pisgah to Maggie Valley, NC. Best time to go: 1. late May, early June - the Catawba rhododendron, flame azaleas, and mountain laurel can all be in bloom together and are an awesome site around Linn Cove, 2. midweek in early October, as the views are clear and you have the parkway to yourself. Best riding: OFF the parkway. Pick any of the "approach roads" in southern VA and NC (i.e., any US, or even better, state highway). Try NC 80 from Marion to the parkway. As fun as "The Dragon" without all the traffic. Best places to stay: try any of the NP concessionares on the parkway, such as at Mt. Pisgah, Peaks of Otter, and Big Meadows in VA. The food is actually pretty good and the views are awesome.
tooths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:40 AM   #57
yoavy11
Founding Member

You must be riding a cruiser, there's no such thing as a boring hi quality curvy road on a sportbike.

But I haven't been to this blue ridge pkwy yet.
yoavy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:38 PM   #58
pattonme
Founding Member

My bike is rock solid at 90 and up. That's NOT the point. 20miles behind 4 cars? You've got to be kidding. The stretches of the BRP I've ridden had plenty of legal passing opportunities. And maintaing a "steady" speed still allows for plenty of opportunities to use the shift and brake levers. Straights are for chilling out. If you want to banzai into T1 go to Summit or VIR.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 04:16 PM   #59
joediver
Registered Member

Just finished my own week long tour of the BRP with a side trip to the Dragon and obligatory stop at the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort. Great article and photos, have to say I agree totally with the author. BRP is a great road too bad two sections are still washed out but the detours are interesting to say the least! Will do it again but advise you wait until after 1 May when the facilities open.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:21 PM   #60
team222
Founding Member

If you have never been on the Blue Ridge Parkway..... why would you comment on my post that relates only to the Blue Ridge Parkway

Mike
team222 is offline   Reply With Quote