Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-19-2005, 03:40 AM   #11
gr8shandini
Registered Member

Default Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

I've only ridden the VA portion, but I can tell you that 45 mph is NOT fast enough up that way. It's miles of back to back sweepers varying from 50 to 75 mph. My friend and I even had a humourous run in with John (well, Jane) Law. We were doing about 85 down one of the rare straights when we noticed that the one of those tourist cagers was actually a lightly marked ranger car when the lights came on. We pulled over at the next available stop and she asked us how fast we were going. My buddy flat out lied and said 50 and I thought we were going to go to jail for pissing her off with a stupid statement like that. Luckily, she said that she "just couldn't believe" the 75 mph she clocked us at so she ran the self-test on the gun and it was reporting a problem. She just thanked us for not running and said she wanted to tell us why she started to pull us over "by mistake." Yup, that gun was busted, but I wasn't about to tell her that it's because it's reading 10 mph slow!
gr8shandini is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2005, 04:00 AM   #12
sarnali
Founding Member

That does look like a beautiful area to ride . When I was stationed in Virginia I got out and traveld around to see the country side in a VW bug, which was fun but no where near as nice as a bike would have been
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 04:10 AM   #13
Snacktime
Founding Member

Pics of our parkway trip.
http://www.kcplazasportbikes.com/pho...0_03/index.htm
Snacktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 04:19 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I too have ridden the BRP but all I found during my time on it was rain, rain and more rain. I hung in there for a while on my rented Geezer Glide, but knowing that just off the mountain was sunshine and equally curvy roads, I took a side road down the mountain to dry out.

Very scenic for sure. I might recommend a higher speed limit.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 04:59 AM   #15
SRMark
Founding Member

Nice write up. Do stay away from the Parkway on the weekends in the fall. That is the official gathering of the anti-destination league. And do ride the parkway before you die.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:05 AM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You don't even own a motorcycle that could make it that far Harley guy.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:54 AM   #17
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Cool write-up. Looks like I've got to get to the parkway, too. Thanks.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:02 AM   #18
LA
Registered Member

I'd recommene staying away from the Blue Ridge Mts. alltogether. The roads are not as well paved and as curvey as they look in those pictures and the people are just not very freindly here .... I mean there.
LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:05 AM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I can dream, can't I????
Old 04-19-2005, 06:10 AM   #20
oldtim
Founding Member

I have driven, sadly not ridden, on the Blue Ridge and it is everything the author says it is. Here is Idaho we have some really great riding too but it is not a civilized as it is back east or in CA. The roads are not as good and many of them have a mountain on one side and nothing on the other! Plus our mountains are very high (7,000 – 10,000+feet) and the roads are very narrow and twisty and prone to rock fall but some of the vistas are just breath taking! One time I was driving my family around and a guy on a sport bike came screaming ‘round my car and blasted off around the next turn. My family was horrified but I was jealous! Hah!
oldtim is offline   Reply With Quote