Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-07-2005, 07:52 AM   #21
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Honda VTX 1800 F

The Suzuki without question. But instead of either one, I'd buy an 883R if it were my own money and I just had to buy a new cruiser.
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2005, 08:34 AM   #22
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Two up suspension travel

It was mostly the medium g maneuver with an elephant with a monkey on its back for passengers.

How'd we look, were we Medium Pimpin?
Old 04-07-2005, 08:37 AM   #23
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Victory 8-Ball or Sportster 1200R, if forced to ride a "cruiser".

If you're payin and forcing me to choose between the VTX and M50, I'd take the VTX because it will at least allow me to spin the tire whe I'm bored.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:42 AM   #24
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Not my cup of tea, but I have to give some credit: it's actually a decent looking cruiser.

Then again, I know from experience that Fonzie and his camera can make things appear better than real life.

Anyway, good story, Gabe, and good pics, Fonz.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:51 AM   #25
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Hey, Sean...

Regarding the VTX 1800, you said, "I think it's a shame that a motor with this much potential is saddled with so much weight and so little ground clearance."

Does this mean you think the MT01 will be a good ride?
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:17 AM   #26
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default 734lbs for this, 540lbs for the 800cc suzook

Can someone explain to me why cruisers have to weigh so much?

I admit I don't get the cruiser thing, gyno position, lousy handling, sub par brakes, etc. (I know I'm generalizing). I can understand someone wanting the "look", but why do the cruiser guys let these things come in at weights approaching a small car?

I've ridden a bunch over the years and always come away with a very blah feeling. Thats me, but why do they weigh so much?
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:18 AM   #27
Haird
Founding Member

OK, can someone explain why these bikes have to weigh so much, have such limited cornering clearance, awkward riding position and short rear wheel travel? I just don't get it, particularly for 15K+. Is "style" really that important? To whom? I would thik for this kind of money you coul dbuild something nice-looking that was a wee bit more functional.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:21 AM   #28
Gabe
Registered Member

Default VTX or M50

I would absolutely want the Suzuki for most of my trips, although I might change my tune if the Honda had a windscreen. The Suzuki was just more fun to ride around on...except when you really get on the throttle. Then the VTX is tremendously entertaining. But because the chassis gets a little overwhelmed on the VTX when you goose it, the Suzuki is just a more pleasant, happy thing to ride in general, for me at least.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:25 AM   #29
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: VTX or M50

see there that's what i'm talking about. anybody thinking bout buying one o these should def. axe for a ride on the small version first.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #30
Gabe
Registered Member

Default OK, I'll go over this ONE MORE TIME

I wish! But it's a matter of economics and market demand. The cruiser rider likes a heavy bike, and a torquey, low-revving, long-stroke motor. This means that you have a heavy crankshaft, heavy flywheel, heavy cases, heavy transmission, and on and on and on, all the way to wheels, shocks and frame.

The Road Star Warrior changes this formula a bit with an aluminum frame and sportbike spec components, but is still saddled with a heavy cruiser engine. And while it sells out every year at most dealers, it's still not the hottest cruiser on the market.

Another reason is the "SUV Theory". Just as auto manufacturers make big profits on low-tech SUV's to offset low-profit sedans and sportscars, the motorcycle companies can afford to sell a newly designed, cutting-edge 600cc sportbike every two years for $8k by selling restyled old technology cruisers for $10k. This statement isn't fair to the present bike, as the technology is fresher and a little more remarkable than some older designs, but a CBR600RR it ain't, tech-wise!

Nothing is for free!!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote