Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-01-2005, 06:37 AM   #21
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 BMW R 1200 ST and RT

"Where is your bike?"

"It's that ugly Beemer over by those other 5000 bikes"

"Okay, I see it"

Gotta hand it to you LR, that is really fargin' funny.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2005, 06:44 AM   #22
ValkBandit
Registered Member

work like this is why i subscribe. you guys scooped the rags and offered a wealth of vid, pics, and solid reviews.

please follow up with more detail on the new beemers. maybe a shootout? i think bmw is on the brink of some truly great things.

can anyone confirm the rumor that bmw's bike division will soon launch a high-performance division (similar to the M division for the four wheelers)?
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 06:45 AM   #23
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Thanks for the excellent reviews Sean. Love the yeehaw video. I am always first attracted to BMWs because their sales brochures are cool and they are offer nice accessories. However, when I see the sticker price at the dealer, I stop and say to myself "How much is the Yamaha FJR1300?" At $13,199 for ABS model its hard for me to justify the extra money for the BMW. Or am I missing something? Thanks again Sean great job!!!
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 06:47 AM   #24
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Default WOW! The ST...now THAT'S a headlight!

I had to state the obvious.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 06:56 AM   #25
pdad13
Founding Member

Well, I was going to reserve judgment on the aesthetics of the new Beemers until I see one in person. But after seeing more pics of the ST, I can't see how it could be anything but butt-ugly, at best, in the flesh. The K is easily the best looking of the bunch (it's okay, nothing stunning, or offensive), the RT is significantly better looking than the ST (but that's not saying a whole helluva lot.) And the ST...well, I'm trying to purge the unpleasant images from my mind.

Where's that issue of Maxim? Hmnnn...must be around here somewhere...

(I had a nightmare that I put my bike to bed only to find a hideous ST in its place the next morning. AAAAHHHHH!!! A machine that Stephen King could write a novella about. Maybe a mini-series.)

That being said, the most important thing is that BMW got these bikes mostly right. Mind you, I would never pay the kind of coin our Teutonic neighbors demand, but it's good to know that all of the manufacturers are stepping up their games. Good for us.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:04 AM   #26
ValkBandit
Registered Member

i used to think beemers were overpriced, too. then i bought a K1200LT as an escape pod for myself and the missus. i did it because gold wing frames were cracking and the new GL was apparently wracked with quaility issued. plus i test rode the LT and fell in love with the handling (for such a big bike).

in the two years i've owned the LT i have come to understand why beemers are priced so much more. all you have to do is work on one. the quality of the fasteners and the castings are a notch above what you find on other bikes. the stuff is really meant to last.

i'll admit that beemers are as prone to niggling parts failures, just like every bike. but if you take care of them they will last a long, long, long time. they are designed to be worked on and to last.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:25 AM   #27
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default ... and if you must have an "affordable" BMW

We also tested the <a href="http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/04_Mid_Standards">$8,690 BMW F 650CS, in last year's Middleweight Standards Comparo.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:26 AM   #28
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Great reviews, Sean.

I'm looking forward to demo-ing these bikes next weekend.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:35 AM   #29
Fenton
Founding Member

My suit was only $727, but if I bought a bike for $17k, I would see my kids everyother week.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:43 AM   #30
Fenton
Founding Member

It is reviews like this that make me indifferent to the "One issue left" notice from the print magazines. What a great way to spend my time at work.

I have to stick with my Futura until I see what Honda has planned for the '06 VFR.

Any word if the 1200 motor is going to show up in the R1150R model? That may be a hard one to pass on.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote