Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #91
91vmi
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 BMW R 1200 ST and RT

The RT in person is much better than the pictures. I bought one before the crate was delivered and was somewhat nervous. Very nice looks, a headturner whether you think it a beaut or fugly, it turns heads.

Next weekend it gets the shakedown: 1400 mile roundtrip from Savannah to New Orleans and a side stops.
91vmi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2005, 10:33 AM   #92
91vmi
Founding Member

Perhaps I have not yet tweaked mine properly yet as I see my handle bars in the tops. Very weird looking down into the mirrors also, 1st bike like that for me.

However, I was stunned to see those handlebars just as clear at 95MPH as at 0MPH. After the suzukis, hondas, yamaha, vespa and Harleys I have had/ridden, this clarity at all speeds is a pleasure.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:09 PM   #93
91vmi
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 BMW R 1200 RT brakes

Just had the 300-750 drive-in check on my 1200RT. I had 2 incidences of the "break failure" light. Amazingly the 2nd was in the dealer parking lot this a.m. After 6 hours, the mechanic couldn't get the computer to clear the fault or make it reapply brake assit when he changed speeds; e.g. braking at 35MPH lightly then suddenly increasing lever pressure yields zero brake assist. Now that could be a problem in a tight spot. So, they kept the bike and sent me home on a used Ducati 990 promising to deliver the bike 150 miles to me the day it is fixed. Grrr, a new toy I can't play with, but great service from the Dealer and hot Italian machine to prowl the streets with in the meantime....
Old 04-15-2005, 05:12 AM   #94
jarv
Founding Member

Looks like my wait for a high speed sport touring bike with the emphasis on touring is finally over, Ive checked the bike over (no ride yet) and so far my only concern is the tight shifter/footpeg dimension. Its a little uncomfortable for my size 13 foot. Grassroots BMW has offered to throw in another shift lever for me to modify to my liking which after the buying frenzy means a purchase for me.
jarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:48 PM   #95
91vmi
Founding Member

Default big feet on RT

size 14 here, and no probs except with one pair of hiking boots.

filth flarn filth, they had to send for a new brake computer to replace mine, hopefully it will be returned to me on Monday evening.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:20 PM   #96
Sliver
Founding Member

Just before attending the Spring Fling in Kirkland WA on Saturday I went to Ride West BMW and test rode the new BMW R1200RT.

They were happy to allow a test ride. Just a copy of my license and a signature on the form and they handed over the key. The salesman went over a few of the basics and turned me loose.

There is no choke to mess with. Just turn the key and push the button.

The front of the tank seemed wide but it narrowed for a place for my knee bones.

Picking the bike up off the side stand felt light. Much lighter than my '82 Gold Wing. The controls fit me well. (I'm 6 foot 2 inches with boots on.) I could straddle the seat and flat foot the bike easy.

I took off through the city streets to get used to the bike. Signal lights worked well with one on each thumb, cancel on the right. The brakes were most awesome. Easy squeeze and speed was scrubbed. I had to make sure I let up near the end of the stop just to stay smooth. I liked them.

Mirrors are low and did not cover much to the sides. I think they are too small.

Went up to the 405 freeway and shot right up the on ramp. Kinda buzzy motor when I am used to the smoothness of a 4 cylinder but past about 4k rpm I didn't notice it.

Handling was superb. Just a thought would steer the bike where ever you wanted. Road bumps were just swallowed without a hiccup. I fought traffic for a while until I found some open space ahead. Grab a half twist of throttle and plenty of power brought me to what I thought was a normal, comfortable speed. I cruised there a few moments and told myself how good it felt. A glance down at the speedometer showed me at 80mph. I didn't think that was right and I looked around at other traffic and agreed I was passing most of the cages. Still, it didn't seem right as it felt so normal. Still some open lane ahead so I grabbed more throttle. The motor had a strong, rapid pull and soon I was wondering if I should back off. I saw the speedometer pass 90mph and the bike was just starting to get to where it was asking to go. Here comes a corner. Press a little on the right and the bike was steady all the way around. I know I could have gone way faster and still felt comfortable. I backed off and got into more traffic.

Every time I wanted to change lanes I checked the mirrors and hesitated because I was not getting enough information from the small mirrors. It might be because I was not used to the lower position of the mirrors. I used a double head check before I opened the throttle and went for it. Every time I did that the power was there so long as I was above 4k rpm. Steady gain all the way up. Well, I never really did get to the upper part of the rpm range as I was going to fast to use it. Two shifts up and I was putting at a steady speed. Every lane change felt sure and steady. I joined back up with I-5 north and headed back. Stuck in traffic now, I had to hold my position. One fellow decided he needed my lane and the space I was in. He swung over right in front of me. Quick easy pull on the brake lever and I was safe again. (Nice brakes!) Two shifts down, signal and a head check and I was flying into the open spot next lane over and gone.

I did not want to bring the bike back to the dealer just yet as it begged for an open road. I could easily see a long ride with this bike.

Windshield adjustment was fast and easy on-the-fly. Great feature.

Disturbing things: Small mirrors; A buzzy motor. (I might be able to get used to it.) Not sure about the digital fuel meter info display. It might not be easy to read in some light. My legs were a bit in the weather compared to a full fairing Gold Wing. How will I stretch my legs out on a longer ride? I also felt like I sank down into the narrow seat. A few more miles might tell me if I would need a different seat.

I did like it better than the '02 K1100LT. It is NOT as smooth as a GL1800 by any means but it is so very much lighter and very easy to handle. I like the power but would it still be fine in a two up condition?

After I got back to Ride West the sales-rep did not push me. He just gave me his card, thanked me for coming in to test ride and wished me a good day.

Now, where shall I put this Christmas list I just started?

Mario

LDComfort.com

Old 07-22-2005, 10:20 PM   #97
skater69
Founding Member

Just don't see what the appeal is for the Beemer bikes. I've test ridden almost all of them.....dealer are nice enough to allow that. None of them were very impressive to me and one is uglier than the next. The new RT is pretty ugly too.....the ST's front looks like the result of 10 guys smoking crack on a deadline...holy crap is that thing homely up front! $18K + for an RT?

After every Beemer I've tested.....I've always come home to my '04 GL1800 and '02 CBR1100XX and thought.....no way in hell any BMW can replace these......not in power, reliability, price...or looks. Maybe BMW should put a liquid cooled 4cyl in the RT...instead of the buzzy opposed twin....
skater69 is offline   Reply With Quote