Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-28-2005, 03:57 PM   #1
AJT
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Suzuki M50 Boulevard

dRUM BRAKES?!!
AJT is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #2
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

yES

bUT oNLY oN tHE bACK!!!!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
abrandt
Registered Member

If their going to use plastic, why don't they fake carbon fiber instead of metal ? Decent bike though, I allways had a week spot for Suks
abrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
kowalke67
Founding Member

I think you summed this bike up when you said:

The majority of these will live hard, neglected lives by riders who will never even get close to the machine's performance limits. These customers simply want style and value, lots of it.

A budget cruiser and no reason for it to be disrespected. There are a lot of people who want a bike to ride and don't have $10 g's to drop on a "real" cruiser. It's great manufactures make that bike. That being said, in the $6500 - $7000 range, I'm buying an HD Sportster XL 883.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:30 PM   #5
pdad13
Founding Member

First off, Gabe: You seemed a little stiff in your debut (Z750). Nothing particulary wrong with that piece, I just knew you were being a little cautious on your first time out. Since then, we're starting to see some more of the personality that makes Mr. Allcaps so entertaining. Nice job and keep cranking out the stories.

Second: I'm trying to understand the appeal of cruisers. I really am. But 600 lbs., 44 hp and 43 ft. lbs.? And, to second the first poster, a freakin' drum brake? I know this bike is aimed at the semi-newbie market, but jeez, I can't help but think something lighter that you can actually ride comfortably at highway speeds and doesn't make your a$$ ache after 20 minutes should, I say, SHOUD, be a lot more appealing. You'd think I'd know better by now, though, huh?

On one hand I kinda understand the whole cruiser-fashion appeal, although I'll never GET it (and the M50 is kinda good looking, for a cruiser.) On the other hand, I just don't get it at all.

Is something wrong with me?
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:08 PM   #6
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Without a comprehensive physical exam...

I don't think I can answer your last question, especially since I'm not a medical doctor. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with your dislike of cruisers- I don't understand why a manufacturer would purposely reduce a product's performance and capability, nor do I understand why a customer would pick this over, say, a Z750.

However, having ridden a variety of these things, I can say that they do deliver a genuinely satisfying experience. They sound cool, look cool and impress passers-by and underage girls. I don't think I'd ever own a cruiser, but if I didn't have any twisty stuff to ride on, and just wanted to cruise around, I'd probably be more partial.

Thanks for your kind words!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:35 PM   #7
apwired
Registered Member

>> Is something wrong with me?

Nothing is wrong w/ you man, relax. No need to understand the appeal of cruisers if you don't already know. Agreed they are more likely be uncomfortable than a standard, but riders come in all flavors and sizes. It's called personal choice and very common... understood or not, its here to stay. And if you can "kinda understand", then you are ahead of many others out there that just wanna burn all cruiser bikes.

No need to "get it". Just buy what you want, marry whomever you wish, or what ever you wish, eat what you wish, paint your house the color you like and call it living your own life. We're all different. You'll be ok, just don't hurt yourself trying to figure it out, chances are those people don't need your help!

Btw, the appeal of cruisers is simple, they're motorcycles that don't hurt yer nuts when you ride 'em. [Sure, maybe the tailbone - but that's already sore from the chair at work.] And they're less likely to put me in jail when I get picked up for doing 55 in a 25 when trolling for dates in a school zone.... my parole officer would hate to hear that one ...again Otherwise, what can I afford?

-ap

Now, about them drum brakes...
apwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:05 PM   #8
Grum
Registered Member

ConGratulatIons on First Post aNd welcOme to thE First Post Club. (evEn if yOu did So with only TWo woRrds)
Old 03-28-2005, 11:08 PM   #9
Grum
Registered Member

Excellent choice.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:49 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

It's all viewpoint, dude. You might not understand why anyone would want to ride a bike that doesn't have the greatest possible perfromance. Someone else might consider your choice of bikes to be a senseless exercise in excess. Who gives a shyt? Any ride is better than no ride.

However, people like my wife (5'2") have few choices for full size motorcycles than middleweight crusiers. She's sat on a few bikes recently and bikes like the Boulevard are the only ones she could reasonably ride.