Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-29-2005, 08:06 AM   #31
Ian_Leadley
Registered Member

Default Re: OK, I really don't get it...

I agree on the DL650, but disagree on the 883. I think the C50/Volusia and especially the Honda ACE750 with the two into one pipe look better than the Sportster. I've never ridden the sportster and am not comparing bikes, just looks.
Ian_Leadley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2005, 08:11 AM   #32
Pgbexr
Registered Member

Default Re: 2005 Suzuki M50 Boulevard

"So I wasn't completely bummed out when herr magazinenfuhrer Alexander told me to take the horribly rickety and doubtless OSHA-violating MO Van through an hour of rush-hour traffic to retrieve the -new for 2005- Suzuki M50 Boulevard Black."

"Just take the MO van up to Santa Maria..." he says. Sheesh!
Pgbexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:01 AM   #33
theDuke
Founding Member

I can understand the appeal to shorter riders of a low-seat cruiser. I'm 5'6" and find most sport bikes horribly uncomfortable with their high seats and because of my arm length, long low stretch to the bars. However, the far-forward foot controls on many of these cruisers would seem to make them exceedingly uncomfortable for inseam-challenged riders who can't easily use the pegs for leverage. On some cruisers I can't even reach the brake pedal without lifting myself off of the seat (Triumph Speedmaster comes to mind).

Perhaps the "C" versions of these bikes have more reasonably placed foot controls?

I haven't ridden the Suzuki cruisers but was able to test ride the Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic and found the floor-boards to be in a comfortable position for me. That was a really pleasant bike for the short ride I had on it.

theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:06 AM   #34
nweaver
Founding Member

Except that Pose value is not just about looks. The Eagle Emblem on the HD vastly improves the pose value.

Looks wise, yeah, a tossup (although I like the sportster looks).

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:15 AM   #35
anrajala
Founding Member

A very short friend of mine had a 650 Yamaha Drag Star (I believe V-Star in the States). He was very happy about the height - looked as big as a HD but very low. In comparison EX500 does not only look crap, it is also much worse and much higher.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:12 AM   #36
christian_gates
Founding Member

Did you test the compatability with the Harley Davidson-branded flame gear from a while back?
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:39 AM   #37
anrajala
Founding Member

I never rode this son of Vulvasia but I surely have ridden the Worster. My God that is awful bike to ride. Surely, it has some new rubber mounting nowadays, but I find it very hard to believe the ride quality can be even compared to a modern nip middleweight.

- cruiz-euro
Old 03-29-2005, 10:47 AM   #38
pdad13
Founding Member

EX500: Looks very dated. Kawi should at least give it a cosmetic makeover, but I suppose that doesn't fit into the P&L statement. Much higher, yes. Much worse? I can't say because I've never ridden a V-Star. What's it weigh? What's the wheelbase? How's it handle? We're talking about people that are smaller, and presumably, not as physically strong, and with not much riding experience.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:07 AM   #39
anrajala
Founding Member

Hmmm… Sporster´s pose value? In fact most people don´t recognize HD, even less Sporster which looks like an eastern european industrial product. Thus the more flashy cruiser, Shadow for example, has bigger pose value among "most people".

Then there are those that do spot a harley when they see one. Among them there are hog owners, who mostly (me being an exception because I know something about bikes) appreciate Sporster more, but even them only to the level of shark $hit. Nip cruiser would be even worse of course.

Of the other people in the know, I would say Worster´s score is even, at best.

- cruiz-euro

Old 03-29-2005, 11:32 AM   #40
nokneedragin
Founding Member

As for this bike, it gets a big eh, so what else ya got. I admit its not my style but the price is toooo close to the HD version, and most people interested in a cruiser are leaning to a HD first. The style has to wow them to get their money, or the extras need to hit (IMO). The Only thing this bike has is USD forks, not a proven benefit in a cruiser layout, but it does give braging rights.

Zook needs to pare down its cruiser line, and put the savings into extra shiney parts to catch the cruisers aftermarket eye.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote