Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-29-2005, 05:08 AM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Suzuki M50 Boulevard

You're either a Suzuki dealer or spent way too much time studying that brochure!

The story would have been much more interesting with photos of a Maruder riding a Savage.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2005, 05:52 AM   #22
SRMark
Founding Member

Not a bad price for an enema. I think Fleet's product is even less. And I'm not sure I like the look of Batman sticking out of the butt-end of the bike. The designers must have had an anal fixation.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:10 AM   #23
Ian_Leadley
Registered Member

I had a Honda ACE 750 in 1999 and it was a great way to get back into motorcycling after many years. I've moved on to a BMW R1150R but am pleased to see Suzuki has put pressure on Honda with the Volusia, C50 and M50. The shaft drive and additional power made it more competitive in that important mid-sized category. I couldn't afford more at that time. Many are in that category. So a tough, good looking powerful enough bike is great - even if it is a cruiser. Interestingly, my son bought an SV650 for starters a couple of years ago- with my endorsement.
Ian_Leadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:15 AM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default These are all new Suzukis

some of 'em are kawasakis
Old 03-29-2005, 06:41 AM   #25
pdad13
Founding Member

Yeah, it is a shame that there aren't too many reasonable bikes for the more petit and fairer sex. Something like a first generation SV650 has more than enough power, (I'm assuming your wife has some riding experience) is fairly inexpensive, but the seat height is way too high, even when lowered. An XB9SL is probably still too high (Buells XBs do have a fairly high seat height) and the torque can be scary for a newer rider. An EX500 is a pretty good choice, but I seem to remember them not being all that low either, even though they're fairly narrow.

I don't take issue with the 50-odd hp, I just think the excessive weight and relatively poor handling characteristics could be a problem. Hell, a fairly light 35 hp bike is probably better for the less experienced.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:11 AM   #26
johnnyb
Founding Member

CEASE AND DESIST REFERRING TO ME IN MO, RE: VERY LITTLE PERSON WITH FREAKISHLY LARGE GENITALIA. NICE WORK GABE. STRANGELY ENOUGH, WHEN IT COMES TO CRUISERS I ALWAYS DID LIKE THE SMALLER ONES BETTER. THOSE BIG 1800S AND STUFF ARE JUST STUPID, WHICH IS WHY THEY SELL SO MANY MORE OF `EM. EVERYBODY DOESN'T LIKE TO, OR GET TO, TEAR AROUND CURVY MOUNTAIN ROADS. IN THAT CASE, A CRUISER IS JUST AS GOOD AS A SPORTBIKE.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:28 AM   #27
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

This is a very nice article, Gabe.

Did u buff out the plastic??

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:41 AM   #28
nweaver
Founding Member

Default OK, I really don't get it...

Let's see. For $6.8k you can get:

a: A vanilla, Japanese cruiser, which somehow manages to get only 44 hp out of an 800 cc , liquid cooled engine.

b: A genuine Harley Davidson Sportster 883, which is only a couple of HP less, but has vastly better pose value, and no shaft jacking/torque effects.

c: A DL650, which out-handles-out-accelerates-out-rides-out-brakes-out-distances-out-ranges the metric cruiser, and true, it can't pose worth S@#)$(*, but if you want to pose, why not get the genuine HD?

So I just don't get it. The Sporster vastly out-poses the Boulevald for the same price/handling/etc. The DL vastly outperforms the Boulevard in all other ways except for pose value.
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:57 AM   #29
Tigercub
Founding Member

Style? Looks like a Jap cruiser.

Why buy one? You like the seating position.

Drums brakes? If it locks up the rear wheel, there's no need for a disc.

Next bike?

Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:03 AM   #30
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: OK, I really don't get it...

Plus the Sporty has the vast H-D aftermarket behind it. You can't even change the wheels on the BM50 or whatever the hell it is becuase of the dumb shaft drive.