Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-29-2005, 01:59 AM   #11
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Suzuki M50 Boulevard

The bike isn't my cup of tea. However, I did enjoy reading this well written review. Gabe you have great writing style. In addition I feel you successfully conveyed the essence of this bike in a very entertaining manner. Thanks again.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2005, 02:02 AM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

Jeeez, Gabe. The magazinefuehrer wouldn't spring for a pair of faarken stirrups to keep your pants from blowing up? Next thing you know he'll take away your fringed armchaps.

Time to start a Federal Labor Act case!
Old 03-29-2005, 02:30 AM   #13
pdad13
Founding Member

Well, lets just say my tongue was somewhat planted in my cheek. I've always maintained that everyone should ride what they like. But I've ridden several cruisers, and, while I can say that you're absolutely right that any ride is better than no ride, it's hard to escape the puzzling feeling, and overwhelming relief, I'm taken by when I hop back on one of my bikes. To me, the experience doesn't compare.

I'm not one of the I-gotta-have-the-fastest-lightest-bike-on-the-street guys. But I don't think an overweight, relatively bad handling bike is the best choice for new riders either.

Aside from the height issue, I can't see how these things are really good for someone with very limited experience. Lowering a standard is probably a better option (but yes, at 5'2" that could even be a problem.)

By the way, both of my bikes are, in reality, senseless overkill.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:34 AM   #14
RosevilleRod
Registered Member

I agree, thanks for a well written article. Now, about that "MO "initiation" party"...

I used to think it would be fun to work there.
RosevilleRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:40 AM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I enjoyed your discussion of the bike's "centre" of gravity. It gives MO a hip, British feel that's been so sorely lacking.

Wasn't this baby at one time called a Volusia?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:09 AM   #16
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

Nice cruiser.

I'm also, not.. a cruiser person.

I do own an 883R so I understand the low power 'fun factor'.

I just don't get the forward control rationale.

It limits the leverage you need to turn and more importantly, LIFT for those nasty bumps.

Now, to the drum brakes...

I see nothing wrong with them.

If it slows the bike down and in fact, locks up the rear wheel, what more can you ask for?
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:11 AM   #17
lwatcdr
Founding Member

My wife is even shorter at 4'11" and she has an even more limited selection. She is thinking about a Buell Blast or maybe a Honda Rebel. Small, light motorcycles are hard to come by in the US and it is a shame. Way to many people get a CBR600 or even an SV650 as a first bike.

lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:21 AM   #18
robb_millett
Registered Member

no, that bike is now called the C50. the M50 is the replacement for the old Marauder 800. THe S40 is the Savage, the S50 is the old Intruder 800, the S83 is the old Intruder 1400, and C90 is the INtruder LC1500. The M95 is the rebadged Kawi Mean Streak that was known as the Marauder 1600 for a single model year, until Suzuki reidentified the entire cruiser line under the name "Boulevard"
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:44 AM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

I do have a crusier, a 700 Magna. But it's world's lighter than any of the new "middleweights". It's a great bike for around town, even with the too soft suspension. With boots and the fork tubes pushed up my wife can ride it, but she has to tippytoe at stoplights and she's not comfortable enough.

She used to fit pretty well on some of the mid-80's customs like the 550 LTD with the fork tubes pushed up. Sadly there is absolutely nothing available like that any more. The only bikes I've seen around like that are too thrashed for me to be willing to pick up to fix up for her.

We're so used to high horespower bikes now that we've seemed to forgotten that a 50odd hp 550 is perfectly capable of riding across the continent and still is capable of humiliating most any car.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:50 AM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Oh yeah. I remember now. The Boulevards were promoted in ad copy as the greatest advancement in cruisers in the history of the known universe.

Well, they did meet the HD criteria for a "new model". That's something.