Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-26-2005, 06:38 PM   #31
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Proposal

Can I pay you $10 to not post?

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2005, 07:47 PM   #32
Wambo
Founding Member

Default Re: 5 Years With An Aerostich

I've had my Aerostich probably about 9 months but I given it a good workout. I can tollerate 80-85 degree days, but above that is a bit too warm for me with the suit. In the cold down to 34 degrees with layered clothes works fine for up to 2 hours (hands get the coldest and are the biggest problem). Rain (in Oregon?), as advertised: 30-60min in hard rain. Actually, 60 minutes for me today in very hard rain and wind. The crotch didn't leak, but the butt felt a bit damp and the suit was saturated. Even my gore-tex gloves were soaked! However, I didn't any leaks anywere else. So far I've avoided testing the armour, but I feel very sercure with it. I have the Hi-viz yellow with black armour and people do see me. Yes, they may laugh at me (expecially with the Aerostich duck butt) but they do see me!
Wambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:57 PM   #33
skeepee
Registered Member

Default Re: I tried the Roadcrafter and then went back to my JR

If Andy won't re-engineer his product to suit you, to hell with him. For me the Roadcrafter works great and I didn't have to buy water proof liners and replacement armor to make it right.
skeepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 01:27 AM   #34
cyclesteve
Registered Member

Default Re: T-Pro

Does the T pro seem to mold to your body like the stock stich armor?

Bohn makes a nice back protector just for the stich. It far exceeds the aerostich piece it even velcros in the stich at the same points as the aerostich piece.
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 04:00 AM   #35
mheathman
Founding Member

Default Re: 5 Years With An Aerostich

My grey roadcrafter is 10 years old and has almost 200,000 miles on it. I've used it for year-round commuting here in Indiana, as well as riding in all of the lower 48 states. It's a well-traveled 'Stich. It looks alot worse than Sean's though.

It has leaked on me a couple times, but only after riding in a hard rain all day on an un-faired bike. It is great in the winter, as long as you layer underneath. A Gerbing jacket and a Stich will get you through almost anything. It is hot in the summer, no way around that. I've ridden in the 100's a couple times and used the ice trick, but it's damn hot. Anything but mesh gear will be hot at that temperature.

I've had to replace the zipper pulls on the main zippers at least 3 times, but the zippers themselves have held up fine. I have replaced the pads a few times as well. Riding in sub-freezing weather really speeds up the disintegration of the pad material.

My Stich is getting just a little snug now and is too tight across the shoulders to work well on my SV1000S. It still functions fairly well on my Concours, but it really does need to be replaced. I picked up a Roadgear jacket and pants at the Chicago motorcycle show and I'm currently trying them out for awhile. I miss the convenience of the Roadcrafter though, it went on and off so fast. I'll probably keep the Roadgear stuff, as it is nice to have separate jacket and pants, but I'm probably going to buy another Roadcrafter sometime down the road.
mheathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 04:42 AM   #36
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Proposal

Ha ha! You may have been had by the spell checker. Since 'material' and 'materiel' are both valid english words the spell checker won't tag it.

I've noticed an increase in mispelled words in many books and magazines since the advent of spell checkers. Things like 'deer' instead of 'dear' or 'two' instead of 'too'.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:43 AM   #37
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default 'stich alternatives

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the new Alpinestars oversuit? I believe it's called the DryStar 360 or some such. The only product review I've seen was one of those blurby pieces in Cycle World, in which they avoided direct comparison to its obvious competitor, the venerable 'Stich. If someone on staff or anyone here with direct 'Stich knowledge could provide some pertinent A/B details, that would sure be nice.
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:31 AM   #38
Wambo
Founding Member

Default Re: 'stich alternatives

I saw the same ad. It looks good and a little less than my Aerostich. I like Alpinestars products and would consider this as a great alternative. My only complaint: It is only available in the black and gray. I like the hi-viz yellow. People do see me.
Wambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:15 AM   #39
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: 'stich alternatives

That's one thing I do like about the Aerostitch. My JR is red n black, but it's still more black than red. The HI-Viz yellow on the legs as well as the trunk makes the 'stich stand out well.

I think they're excellent suits, it's just for that much money I think a wet butt and crumby zippers is unacceptable.

When my JR is no longer serviceable I might try out a Belstaff or First Gear textile suit. I was checking them out at the bike show and online, they seem to be pretty well made.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:39 AM   #40
sportriderjed
Founding Member

Default Re: roadcrafter fit on sportbikes

Get the sportbike arm rotation on the next one. I got the alteration done on mine and it rotates the arms forward a little so its not so tight across the shoulders when you are leaning forward. You will also loose the crinkle and tightness in the front shoulder so that if you stand and put your arms up in front of you at about 20 degrees the suit feels natural instead of tight. I dont recall that alteration being listed...I called and told them what I didnt like about riding it with my Superhawk and they suggested that alteration...it works great.

BTW I have an SV1000S too...I like it alot better with heli bars but other that a really great bike. Sort of a more up to date Superhawk. I cant believe what a huge difference Micron cans and a PCIII made either!
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote