Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-16-2005, 06:32 AM   #71
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Re: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

I don't rip fairings off! Please round up some short people and send them over to MO so we can check it out.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2005, 06:35 AM   #72
cptaebphd
Founding Member

It's not your imagination, the industry IS power crazy. Fortunately, the byproduct of this is I can get a drop-dead reliable 70 HP 650 that does everything I ask of it.

I've been riding on and off for 30ish years and am not infatuated with power lust. Could afford to buy anything, but spent my money on a new DL650 last year. Best modern bike on the market for me and my commuting needs. Aftermarket is pretty strong for it.

My advice to you is to think about how you're going to use your next bike, set some performance/looks/price/reliability priorities and then go see what's out in the market, new and used. Get what YOU want -- ignore everyone else! HP is a small part of the equation.
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:35 AM   #73
Gabe
Registered Member

Thank u fer showing me the errors of my ways. I will be shure to axe you for ritin' advise frum here on out.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:36 AM   #74
Gabe
Registered Member

Thanks very much!

Old 03-16-2005, 06:46 AM   #75
RonXX
Founding Member

The FZ1 may have 140 crankshaft hp, but it comes out to about 122 at the rear wheel using an inertial dyno. The FZ1 most likely weighs about 35-40 lbs. more than the Kawi, so it won't be too much faster overall.

I have a 2002 FZ1, and I can tell you that the power does not 'hit' in an abrupt way so as to make it scary. I'll be putting my Ivan's jet kit in later this month (which I have had sitting in a box for over a year), and that will hopefully make it a bit more lively.

Either way you'll be quite satisfied. 2 bikes ago I had an SV650 that I loved because it did everything I expected a bike to do. The Z750S will be very similar for intermediate riders.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:12 AM   #76
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Too Much Power?

You're right, we don't cover less-powerful bikes as much as we should (in my opinion), but I would say that is because the motorcycle industry in this country doesn't really offer that many motorcycles with less than 80 or 90 hp, and those that are pretty old, stale machines like the GS500 and the EX500. Honda offers a 250 rebel and then you jump to...what? Unless you want a cruiser (of which they have seven under 1200cc), the next step up from a 250 Rebel or Nighthawk is a CBR600F4i, which is a very fast, expert level sportbike, even if it does have an ugly seat. Heck, you might as well go to the 919, as it doesn't make too much more power and is actually a pretty docile ride.

Yamaha also has nothing in between the Virago 250 (each dealership gets maybe four or five per year, by the way) and the FZ-6. Kawasaki has the EX500, but that thing needs a facelift worse than Madeline Albright. (just kidding, Madeline, I love you!)

You might have noted that I wrote that "I wouldn't really recommend this bike to inexperienced motorcyclists" in the article, but it clearly will be recommended as a first or re-entry ride by Kawasaki salesmen. But it's not the salespeople's fault- it's the fault of a marketplace that snubs anything that isn't extreme in some way. The easiest way to be extreme is with horsepower, and that trickles down to almost every market segment and niche.

I would tell you to look at an SV650 or a leftover 599. You can read the review I helped with of some of these bikes here:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...?ArticleID=790

Old 03-16-2005, 07:16 AM   #77
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Cripes!

It does have twin discs, sorry that wasn't clearer.

Where this bike is better than the Bandit 1200 is that it is lighter and more manageable. The B12 is fun but a lot of bike, especially for a smaller rider or one who just wants to commute and ride around town.

Maybe a shootout is in order!

Old 03-16-2005, 07:25 AM   #78
tomk2
Founding Member

There is more to life than the spec sheet. My VTEC Civic is an excellent car, well built and reliable, economical, good performance... a very sensible transportation choice. Just very ordinary.

That's the same way I felt on the Kawi... there is nothing I could find fault with, especially at that price point. If ya like it go ahead and buy it, you won't be making a mistake but there's sure nothing there to get passionate about.

Motos like Buells and Moto Guzzis are designed and built by people who love motorcycles and it shows. This Kawi was designed by a team of engineers with a spec sheet... and it shows.

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:03 AM   #79
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: New name?

Highside Harry?
Old 03-16-2005, 08:07 AM   #80
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Cripes!

That's an excellent idea, a cheapy standard shootout.

Just off the top of my head I can think of this, the Bandit, SV650, 599 Honda, maybe a Bonneville T100 all under $8k otd and all fun as a pillow case full of puppies

sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote