Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-22-2005, 08:55 AM   #151
Gabe
Registered Member

Default I never rode it to reserve!

They keep them topped off for you at press intros, and I rode at least 120 miles before I filled it. I never saw a reserve light.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2005, 09:43 AM   #152
rags23
Registered Member

Default Re: I never rode it to reserve!

do you remember how much gas you put in @ about 120 miles?
rags23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:10 PM   #153
DesertwolfZR7
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Kawasaki ZR7-s

Really thinking of upgrading to this bike.

I have a 2000 ZR-7, that ws the R&D bike for the Factory Jet kit (Thanks for the hookup guyz!!!) With the TiPro kit, (and EGR removal) the lagg in the lower RPM's is non exsistant.

They have one down in South Bay Motorsports in Chula Vista (San Diego), and after looking at it in person, there is only a couple of thing I can find that I would be uncomfortable with (Good call on the seat Sean, wholly agree).

I will probably keep my ZR-7 for a while (almost paid for), and am trying to find a way to get an akropovic pipe for it (They make one, however none of the U.S. importers have that part number on thier list)

I like riding standards, have always like riding standards (my first bike was a Honda CB400), and probably continue to buy standards. Personally (and please note I said PERSONALLY :>) this is my idea of what riding is. Anywhere, anytime, and any weather (funny note, I picked up my ZR-7 from Factory in December and rode it down to San Diego. You can geuss what the weather was like).

Rubber Down!
DesertwolfZR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:34 AM   #154
draffety
Registered Member

Default Re: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Ditto that. I finally got my uncle's '76 CB750K (last of the "real" K series - bought it for a song) running last weekend. It would die at every stop (need to clean the slow jets) but it was one of the funnest rides I have been on in a long time. Can't wait to get it back to 100% mechanically.

draffety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:55 PM   #155
MW1000
Founding Member

I really don't think this IS a newbie bike. An earlier post under this topic said the same thing. I don't even think a newbie should buy a NEW bike at all.

As for me, this bike is absolutely perfect, save for some subjective styling issues which are minor. I have 10 years experience and can only have one bike. I wouldn't want a bike that only does one thing well. I want a bike that can "do-it-all" just as the opening paragraph said. I AM the demographic Kaw is aiming for. If I want a bike to function better in one aspect or another, I can move it in that direction using the aftermarket. After having my latest and best bike, an 03 SV1000 naked, I will never go back to a carburated, air-cooled bike again. IMO this thing offers performance that approaches that of the DL1000 or the "antiquated" Bandit 1200 for the DL650's price. Personally I can't wait for the next FZ1 to come out, with some styling tweaks and FI.

Matt
MW1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:15 AM   #156
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Couldn't agree with your post more. My starter bike was a used '95 Nighthawk 750. What an awesome starter bike it was! I had it for almost two years before I stepped up to my present bike, an '03 SV1000 naked like yours. I think in a few more years, I will give a 600 supersport a try. Until then, my love affair with my SV continues to this minute.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:12 PM   #157
DonM
Founding Member

The vibes of a 90 degree v-twin are much more pleasing than an inline four. The days of the carburator are indeed numbered as are tube tires, air cooling, steel frames, and unsealed batteries. But what are the manufacturers adding to the motorcycle package to make it better for a wider audience? Who looks forward to paying $300-$500 for a comfortable seat?
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:36 PM   #158
DonM
Founding Member

If you buy into the Sporty Standard name tag then the Z750S is a great bike.

One of the advantages of buying a used motorcycle is that it is already accesorised to take out the rough edges.

Here in the Northeast it takes a little more than a "bikini" fairing to keep warm eleven months out of the year. I agree that aftermarket soft luggage would solve the storage problem but it's difficult to pick the perfect-fit luggage out of a catalog. Are factory soft bags available for this bike? The poor passenger accomodations rule out the young married guys. The weight/power/footpegs are a detriment to beginners.

The most likely buyer it seems to me would be an older midlife crisis type.

Did you guys buy your SV1000 new?

Ride Safe.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 06:41 PM   #159
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Hey DonM. Yeah, bought mine new in April '04 for a pittance (I know, I know...everybody says that thinking that they are the winner of "I drove the hardest bargain contest"). I agree with you though about buying used. It makes the most sense by far, but some unfortunate souls like me have that disease "new bike high". Fortunately however, the new hasn't worn off my SV and I've had her for about a year now. A medium sized tank bank and a Nelson-Rigg tailpack have worked exceptionally well for my travels. But the thing that sold me on the SV besides the price and the fact it's a naked bike (love going naked!) was that V-twin rumble. GOD what a sound! But I'm glad I got my "learner" legs under me with that Nighthawk.

Ride safe yourself.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:39 PM   #160
MW1000
Founding Member

Yeah, I too bought mine new in 04 for a steal. I haven't done a thing to mine so far. I guess I like it just the way it is for the most part. I've had UJMs from the start and see no reason to change...yet.

Matt
MW1000 is offline   Reply With Quote