Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-16-2005, 02:30 PM   #111
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Yup, exactly. There was a time way back when where the oils did need to be changed more frequently, but certainly not today. The 5500 mile duration was still very conservative 10 years ago for conventional oils. The additive packages are so good now. Synthetics will be effective for tens of thousands of miles, maybe 20+. And the semi-synthetics are just about as good as the full synthetics. Just get a current API standard oil and it should work great. I usually use sythetics or semis because they usually contain some fantastic anti-wear additives that really reduce engine wear to practically nothing.

And don't fall for the "super-special and expensive motorcycle formula" nonsense. Any good automotive oil will work just fine.

Of course, it never hurts to change your oil. Just don't go overboard.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2005, 03:17 PM   #112
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Z750 v Triumph

It would have been a harder call, but I still would have gone with my Triumph, as the suspension and brakes are so much better. The Kawi does have a nicer engine, I must say, although it is a bit more buzzy.

If you don't do any track or sport type riding I would go with the Z.

JohnnyB, you left your ritalin in the MO medicine cabinet! Please come and pick it up.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 12:25 AM   #113
rem42
Registered Member

Default Re: Too Much Power?

It's fine advice, gents. At the risk of being tiresome, my deal with this post is that I've been in the Peace Corps in West Africa for close to two years and it's mandated that I can't ride. That fact combined with the fact that I have rather a lot of spare time means that I've been obsessing over what to get for longer than is really healthy. Gabe- I've already read everything in the archives here, including the Bultaco review. It comes down to this- I've got around 6K to spend, I've got a passenger, I'll probably use it to commute, and it would be fun to be able to ride it cross-country once in a while. I have taken the MSF course and put in a thousand miles on the '80 Honda. I also don't want to buy a new bike anytime soon. Oh yeah, and I'm 6' 2", and from what you all have to say about the 599 it's not a tall man's bike.

This question of the jump from little to huge is a pretty interesting one. It's clear that a lot of the stepping-stone bikes like the EX500 are just that, and anyone with a lust for speed is going to be thinking about selling them after a year (the Be-Last comes to mind here). There was an earlier post that America's all about excess, but this seems like a case of smoking three packs a day- you can be sure that hopping off the Nighthawk 250 MSF beater and onto an R1 is going to result in getting smeared under the wheels of a new enviro-friendly hybrid SUV. Common sense, I admit, isn't really at issue here- but self-preservation seems like it ought to be. I guess what I'm wondering about here is what the long-experience perspective is- how do you get used to riding something with a 1hp:3.5lb ratio and feel safe on it?

Oh, and the usual kudos- thanks for the lengthy replies and for maintaining a really entertaining site. You guys certainly have far more interesting personalities than your competitors...

rem42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:21 AM   #114
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Default Re: Thanks Kawasaki

But the DL650 has such a winning personality! I don't think there is any other bike more in need of an extreme makeover. Yes, my baby is ugly, but it's still the best of the bunch.
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:39 AM   #115
BikerdudeRider
Founding Member

The additional cost of insurance would then put it out of reach for Kawasaki's target market. Also, that would be the same thing as putting the larger fairing on the Z1k.
BikerdudeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:39 AM   #116
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Default Re: Too Much Power?

The only way to feel safe on an uberbike is to slowly work your way up to it. There is no replacement for years of experience. And to safely experience the full performance of an uberbike, the track, with professional instruction, is the only place to be. There are no shortcuts.

BTW, if you can get over its looks, the DLsix-fiddy could be the bike for you. It's nice seeing eye-to-eye with SUVs.
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:41 AM   #117
BikerdudeRider
Founding Member

Yes, but the price difference becomes huge when you add the cost of insurance in.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:46 AM   #118
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

And your sarcasm is a thin veil for your jealousy. Grow up.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:48 AM   #119
BikerdudeRider
Founding Member

So, are you saying it weighs somewhere between a tricycle and an M1 tank?
Old 03-17-2005, 01:57 AM   #120
BikerdudeRider
Founding Member

Just read the 2004 middleweight standards comparo. That should tell you all you need to know about the FZ6.