Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-01-2005, 07:16 AM   #1
VR1000racer
Founding Member

Default Re: Stuff That Really Works...How 'bout it?

You are right..... I would never be caught with one of the many Crescent wrenches I own in my own hands. (they are "loaners"!)

I would have to say the cheapie $ 2.39 tubeless tire patch kits found at every gas station on the planet, to fix the flat tire on your kids car at 11:30 pm in the rain.

And a few other actually useful inventions, like the portable jumpstart battery with built-in air compressor for said flat tire.

Next person..........
VR1000racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2005, 07:27 AM   #2
Fenton
Founding Member

The zip-lock bag in any size. Sandwich=insurance & reg. papers under the seat. A paper towel with windex sprayed on it in the jacket pocket.

1Gallon=Repackage the 25 chicken breasts and 15lbs of hamburger after going to Costco. Keeps all the kids cereal fresh and they actually like the "blue and green make purple" game. Oh yea, they are great for keeping socks and underwear dry in your bike bag.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 07:53 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Duct tape and baling wire. It's the de-facto toolkit for any Harley rider, and can fix anything, anywhere, anytime. Oil-Dry would be a distant third, but necessary to keep the garage oil puddles to a minimum.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:00 AM   #4
SRMark
Founding Member

Zip ties, broadband internet connections, Toyotas, Martin guitars, leatherman tool, dishwashers, microwaves, snowblowers, brick siding, intel processors, rechargable batteries, a week in Ouray, Colorado and decaf. There is now way I could hold a job without decaf.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:04 AM   #5
teapotdome
Registered Member

Vice grips, definitely. Good for a third hand, handier than a second wife. I've used them to replace broken pegs, to shoot drum brake springs to the moon (old timers will know what I'm talking about), to hold a roach, to repair plumbing. Elegant? Nah, but then we're talking about Stuff that Works, right? The elegance is built right in...
teapotdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:21 AM   #6
Anti-ChickenStrip
Founding Member

Uh, how about a good tire pressure guage? Scribing around on little contact patches anyone? I try to be dilligent with proper inflation...anyone else?

"The Absorber" for quickly mopping rain or dew moisture off the Corbin.

Proper torque wrench for do-it-yourself maintenance (chain tightening being perhaps the most frequent).

Quality coin holder to be stowed away in the tank bag for paying Chicago tolls (though I'll need to get an I-Pass now since they've doubled the rates to $.80 if you don't have one).

Also - how about tankbags in general? I never ride without mine - chock full of all my "what if" and "be prepared" stuff - Is that geeky of me? Maybe. Does it give me effective grief insurance? Yes.

Anti-ChickenStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:27 AM   #7
ebass
Founding Member

Uh, slow news day, eh SA?
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:31 AM   #8
sconley
Founding Member

Default Paying Homage:

1.) Front and Rear stands... Stupidly simple and unbreakable, yet I couldn't own a track bike without 'em.

2.) Check Valves 0>- Makes bleeding your brakes/clutch a one-man job.

3.) Zip Ties, need I say more?

4.) Maguire's Wax... Lasts forever.

5a.) Conical Split-Keys that are used to attach valve stems to the retainer... This is perhaps the greatest invention ever made. We should have a national holiday for this guy. Please advise if you know who it was?

5b.) Valve removal tool/spring compressor (couldn't use conical split-keys without it)

Honorable mentions: Modern Oil technology, modern tire compounds, aftermarket clutch slave cylinders (ducati riders only), Water Dispersion Test #40, kangaroo leather, back protectors.

sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:45 AM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Urologists
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:58 AM   #10
GrufRude
Registered Member

Camelbacks. Don't leave home on a summer tour without one for you and your passenger.
GrufRude is offline   Reply With Quote