Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-16-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Harley-Davidson StreetRod

nice work!

if only it didn't cost so much...

i can't wait for the power cruiser shootout ;-0
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2005, 03:02 PM   #2
sarnali
Founding Member

Nice review, it's good to see Harley moving away from 50's style barges and offering something more rideable. Me and a bud went to Destination Harley in Tacoma the other day to check out Buells and they had a sunglo yellow one of these.

Looking at the castings and overall machine work and fit and finish it really is a quality piece. Pretty comfortable too, I wouldn't mind riding one or even (gasp) buying one at some point in the distant future though it wouldn't be from Destination. They still valiantly cling to the vasoline tax, when everyone else is selling at MSRP.

$17k Dynaglide anyone?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:11 PM   #3
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default At last a sort-of-new Harley to use the V-ROD engine

Great article Sean and MO!!

No need to start with the sport bike disclaimer in your article, I doubt many of the young squids will be reading this article anyway they are too busy worrying about which bike is a 1 tenth of a second faster in the ¼ mile or which bike is 2 mph faster on top end.

Anyway itÂ’s great to see that Harley didnÂ’t waste such a great engine on just one basic design even if itÂ’s just changed a little. The changes that were made from what you guys say seem to add up to a totally different motorcycle.

Now if Harley had only designed a new from the ground up touring motorcycle to go against the Honda Goldwing using the V-Rod engine I would have bought it instead.

Maybe in the future we will see even more radical or different designs using this great engine.

Keep up the great work!! Love the increased frequency of your articles!

gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Nice

If I only hadn't been sitting on a plane to Myrtle Beach I could have joined you. After watching you ride I realized that showing up on the geezer glide would have been a bad idea!

The Duc would have been the choice and we could have compared exhaust notes in the canyons.

Of course then I would have the fever again and would have spent the afternoon trying to figure out how to get a fourth bike in the garage!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:38 PM   #5
billhawley
Founding Member

To reiterate what I've said before:

1) It's the first Harley (non-Buell) I'd consider actually buying.

2) It's a great $12,500 motorcycle. But it's 17 plus (out the door). Why would I buy this bike instead of a Triumph Sprint S/T for 6K less?

Hell, I could use that savings to upgrade my GS750E (which is still 150 lbs lighter!), and this old phart will still give 90% of the Street Rod pilots fits on the right road. All I need to do is get in front of him just once... and then I empty my pockets of the ball bearings.

Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.
billhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #6
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: At last a sort-of-new Harley to use the V-ROD engine

Agreed.....Im holding onto my old EVO Geezer Glide until HD comes up with a VROD powered touring bike. I sat on a Street rod at a bike show this weekend and liked it much better than the current VROD. Ive considered trying to convert one to a tourer,but with the 16,500 buck starting point Id thin it would be cost prohibitive.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:07 PM   #7
humhead
Registered Member

When we asked why they didn't simply switch to 17" wheels for better clearance, geometry and handling, they replied: "Because it wouldn't look right."

I found this sentence sums up the reasons it must be a challenge to be an engineer at HD. I wonder how many times sound engineering is sacrificed at the atlar of "style". Harley has the Buell brand for sportbikes. Maybe they should create antother label for bikes like this. Maybe then we'd see a compact engine, 150 less pounds & a better seat.

Street Rod riders may indeed be faster than "Old geezers on GS 1100Gs", but an GS 1100E might just cause the Street Rod rider to cough up even more money on Screamin Eagle parts.
humhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:18 PM   #8
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Hey seruzawa "old farts on Suzuki GS-1100Gs should look out!" I think Sean may be laying down a challenge here. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:27 PM   #9
jeffreyc
Registered Member

Entering a school zone on a wheelie? I haven't done that in a long long time.

Shave off a hundred pounds and shorten the wheelbase to sub sixty inches and I'll buy it.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:45 PM   #10
Grover
Founding Member

As one who's been there, let me just say that it's nice to finally have someone recognize just how challenging it is to properly engineer a motorcycle when every radius you increase, every fillet you enlarge, and every angle you soften in the name of structural integrity is subject to the all powerful veto of the styling department.

The 17" wheel example provided in the story is merely the tip of a very large iceberg.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote