Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-17-2005, 09:44 AM   #71
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Harley-Davidson StreetRod

You only have to look at the Polaris SportCruiser to see how bad 17" wheels look on a cruiser. They're horrible.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2005, 10:12 AM   #72
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: 2006 Harley-Davidson StreetRod

I think the Street Rod is cool.

The radiator intakes look like the intakes off an F4. Styling is reminiscent (to me) of a Vincent.

Great article. Nice wheelie too.

Old 02-17-2005, 10:13 AM   #73
maladg
Registered Member

Was out and about the other day, traveling with one of my charges....when finished, dropped in to a local dealer to check the StreetRod out.

Fair disclaimer: I'm no Harley fan, but I don't hate 'em either.

1. Pretty good fit & finish - no...very good fit & finish.

2. Not much more creaky knee room than a sport bike.

3. Yup, that ft end is still waaay out there.

4. Seat reminds me of something a Guzzi Importer rep was overheard to say when asked why the seat was too hard: "made from the finest Italian marble". Man, that seat was as hard as Stone Moutain.

BillH with an early post said it best for me: "first Harley ever I'd consider buying"...but not quite yet.

As us boomers continue to age - and move up the prosperity scale, it will be interesting to see how Harley continues to respond to the need to continue to grow market share.

Next 5 yrs should be mighty interesting regardless of your particular leanings.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 10:17 AM   #74
Neal
Founding Member

But dont forget there are a significant amount of folk(yours truly included) who are interested in a "performance/luxury" tourer vice a sport tourer(witness the amount of EGLIDES sold woth performance options. I agree Buell should make an honest sport tourer with a more modern powerplant,but I also think there is a ready built market for an EGLIDE equivalent with better suspension and the VROD motor(albeit in a different state of tune).
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 10:37 AM   #75
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: At last a sort-of-new Harley to use the V-ROD engine

What are you talking about, 1100cc V-2 tuned to low torque? Are you under 16 or over 75 years old?

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 10:38 AM   #76
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Vrods (and now Srods) are not the bigest sellers that HD has. So I think that a sportier S/T rig would sell, but not badged as a HD. Thats what Buell could get away with.

As for the tuning, it seems to work so far, I'd be happy with 107hp and decent torque.

The price point, and unique factor are what would drive sales of a Buell S/T. AHD badged S/T might attract some, but the old school style wouldn't cut it for me.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:02 AM   #77
FrankS1
Founding Member

As an old fart who rode a GSX-1100G for 120,000 trouble free miles, I can only say that Sean should have picked on another bike. When I passed it on to my son the cam chain tensioner was a bit loose, and the second set of carbs were showing signs of age. But it still rolled briskly down the highway.

If Sean had any guts, he'd ride that Hog same mileage and then race me. I'd even let him replace the fuel injectors. And put on new brakes pads and tires. I'll reclaim my Suzook and take him on at that time. Oh, sorry, Sean just thinking of those kind of miles make your Tushie sore, huh?
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:09 AM   #78
pdad13
Founding Member

V-Rods actually sell well in Europe. But I agree, it would be nice to see a Buell S/T with this motor if they could make it work.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:26 AM   #79
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: Let me see...that, works out to...

Well how ´bout this: Compared to Mr. Max the hyper modern V-Rod has less power and torque on ANY revs. Its all there on the dyno sheets.

Not very great progress considering Max is from the days when Joan Collins was still a virgin.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:27 AM   #80
eekadog
Founding Member

the truck is an overweight highpowered sports machine...kinda like the street rod.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote