Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-17-2005, 04:21 AM   #31
triumph900
Founding Member

Default Damn!

I wanted "First Post", since I was one of the "*****ers"!
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2005, 04:45 AM   #32
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: At last a sort-of-new Harley to use the V-ROD engine

I'm guessing the current Wing frame isn't suited to your "curb weight."
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 04:50 AM   #33
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: At last a sort-of-new Harley to use the V-ROD engine

Correct...Im thinking more an E-Glide equivalent with a VROD motor tuned for more low end torque.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 04:51 AM   #34
smithrob75
Founding Member

Default Re: 2006 Harley-Davidson StreetRod

Why is it that sportbike guys are always posers but Harley riders, never. Riding straight to the bar and straight home, trailering their bikes to Sturgis, dressing up like a member of the Village people. By the way I'm currently looking at a Multistada so I really don't care what other people think about what I ride.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:58 AM   #35
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: If I get the Gist...of, the Crux...of, the Point...of Things:

You're missing the point. If you want a S-rod it doesn't matter that the Warrior is cheaper, it's still a Yamaha. At that level, if it has to be a Harley then that ends it.

If I wanted a "performance " cruiser, (an oxymoron if ever there was one) It'd have to be a Rocket 3 or an S-rod. The price really wouldn't be an issue, I'd figure out a way to budget for a $400 a month bike payment and sign up.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:04 AM   #36
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Harley-Davidson StreetRod

By the time you were through you could go buy a Bandit 1200 and have the same thing with a little better frame geometry and suspension, plus no shaft drive. I think that era of big in line A/O cooled Suzuki's are the bees knees, the GSX1100G, and GS1100E and Bandits are among the most useable and buildable bikes on the rode.

Don't worry about racing Sean, just pull a Biaggi on him at the start and you're away...
Old 02-17-2005, 05:11 AM   #37
sarnali
Founding Member

That's interesting because when I saw this in person I though how much better it would look with XLCR type exhaust. I like this one myself, but It's still not quite right style wise.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:17 AM   #38
christian_gates
Founding Member

Tighten the geometry, put on a smaller front wheel, lose a bunch of weight and I'd be pretty interested. It's a neat looking bike that almost gets there.

It's a classic example of a half-measure - a conservative approach that will probably not expand Harley's base as much as a more radical departure, but it also won't alienate folks that want a Harley, either.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:22 AM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

I'm afraid that it wouldn't matter how many Screaming Eagle upgrades one installed on a V/Street Rod. An '85 GS1150E would still humiliate it. Stock GS1150Es turned in a sub-11 sec 1/4 mile as I recall. To be fair one would have to allow the GS1150E owner to modify his bike as well. That particular engine block is arguably the best dragbike block ever built. Apparently Suzuki has worn out the dies that punch this block and they are no longer available. How many other engines can make that claim?

The GS1150E was rated at 119HP and 80ft-lbs. This was achieved with a broad powerband as well. It also weighed around 80 lbs less than a V/Street Rod (560lbs) and had a monoshock chassis.

Even today a GS1150E is a potent street weapon.... as long as one carries around some spare stators. Maybe things haven't changed as much as we think.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:27 AM   #40
seruzawa
The Toad

Posing is a malady that infects every area of motorcycling. Cruiser riders pose as Marlon Brando... but they at least are cruising. Many Sportbikers pretend they are Kenny Roberts and are often seen crusing as well. Double posers!

Goldwing riders pose as motorcyclists at all (heh heh).

Perhaps the American Medical Association should engage in research for a cure for this widespread malady.