Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-19-2005, 04:28 AM   #131
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: What it doesn't have!

Mine doesn't need a reverse. I can move it just fine. Cars need reverse. Yes, it does have the ability to plug in an MP3 or CD. I do it all the time. Check your facts. Plus mine actually has a casette player, and the new one a CD. Yours has that 1000 option to get a CD changer. What a deal! Boy, the latch thing you have me on! Oh, a "great" cruise control. Didn't see that one. Mine just has a cruise, but not a GREAT one. How often do you do that 0-60 thing. I bet never. Just like the top speeds, that is used once in a decade. I'll pass. With 500 bucks I could have 5 years unlimited and it's STILL cheaper than yours. You left out 3 other things mine doesn't have.

1. A consistent overheating problem.

2. A frame that breaks.

3. An ability to depreciate faster than you can go from 0-60!

I owned a Wing for 80,000 miles. The old one I had was a better tourer than the new one, hands down. The new one disappointed me. It got worse gas mileage, less storage space, tighter seating for the rider, worse weather protection, and a 3000 increase in base price, and wore out rear tires every 4000 miles. Not to mention the overheating problem and frame breakage they are dealing with. Dollar for dollar, the Classic is a better buy in my book.

You were the guy that was all eager to buy that V-Rod motored tourer. So that new bike would have all those things like a WIng?? Like I replied to you originally, Harley will NEVER make a bike like a GoldWing. It will NEVER have extra plastic or do-dads on it. That is why you bought your Wing. So you can have 3 latches and a reverse. Like I said, the Wing is a fine bike, but Honda went in the wrong direction with it. That's why it sells at about half the rate of the old model. Hope you like yours. It's a nice bike.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2005, 05:00 AM   #132
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Where do I even start.

1. I use the 0-60 all the time, my other bike is a modified Buell and I just sold a Ninja 900 so I have a need for speed.

1. Continued, I really use the 0-60 if I see a Harley in the next lane.

2. I live here in Mesa Arizona, and it's never once over heated. Don't even tell me you live somewhere hotter.

3. I am never trading it in, I expect to keep it for the rest of my life so trade in is not a factor.

4. Mine is a late model 04 and does not have the frame problem.

5. CD??? Who in the hell wants a CD player or changer, too limited, I need 200 or more songs along for my ride. Cassette??? What the hell is that???

6. Well only had it to 130 so far but I think it has more, I ride with some of my old sport rider friends sometimes.

7. How cheap is your bike??? I paid $17,345.

8. I love the extra plastic...

gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 04:59 PM   #133
Dixit
Registered Member

Default Re: 2006 Harley-Davidson StreetRod

What really surprises me is how close they are from stock: Frame, suspensions setting, engine... I hope they do well at Daytona.

It is obvious that the new StreetRod could never be made to race anything. No matter how you modify the thing. Frankly, I believe that if it wasn't for the Harley badge, nobody would pay much attention to it.
Dixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 05:05 PM   #134
Dixit
Registered Member

Default Re: Where do I even start.

I agree 100% with you, the Electra Glide is worth the money only if you have never ridden anything else: Against a Goldwing, it's slow, vibrates a lot, can't turn, can't brake.
Dixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 05:36 PM   #135
roadpilot
Founding Member

This seems like an enjoyable ride, but Harleys will never be the engineering equal of the other makes until people stop buying Harleys just because they are Harleys. Just remember- HD's aren't for everyone (Willy G and the sales dept make sure of that). America is supposed to be about opportunity for everyone. Too bad that doesn't apply to American Motorcycles.- Combat Veteran; I fought for the US, I have earned the right to complain.
roadpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 08:57 PM   #136
cptaebphd
Founding Member

What really bothers me about HD engineering (being an engineer myself) is that they went out of the country to engineer the V-rod engine. To me, that was a huge slap in the face.

The great thing about America is we have the opportunity to buy and ride whatever we want. It's just a shame that the American motorcycle companies aren't trying to compete in all the motorcycle niche markets. Same damn engine config in every American bike.

Thanks for your service. I'm AF active duty and a former Army 11B. Complain away. It's a great country!

cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 03:19 AM   #137
roadpilot
Founding Member

Thank you for your service as well.
roadpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:58 PM   #138
tomhorn
Registered Member

Looks like HD "engineers" tried to copy the old Suzuki VX800, and botched it up.
tomhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #139
James_Brown
Registered Member

Default Re: If I get the Gist...of, the Crux...of, the Point...of Things:

While many of us would kill for a nice example of 50s or 60s (and even some 70s) American automotive engineering, I wonder if anybody will be shelling out their cash for restored Camrys, Accords or Tauruses in 30 years.
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:23 AM   #140
lukam
Founding Member

Man you know the entire rank and file HD owners to pull that kind of generalization out of your A$$?
lukam is offline   Reply With Quote