Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-10-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Helmet Roundup

Enjoyable article...hard to make helmets a fun topic but you did it. I didnt know Fullmer still made helmets....the chrome strip trimmed Arthur Fullmer 3/4 helmet(in sparkle paint of course) was the helmet to have in the 70's. I had to settle for the 10 buck special bought at the local 5 and Dime but several of my more affluent(defined as having steady jobs) friends had Fullmers ......course their bikes usually actually ran too!
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Most of those graphics look like a bad batch of orange sunshine. Yikes!
Old 02-10-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
Betamax
Founding Member

He'll pull more chics with the fullface.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 01:59 AM   #5
kowalke67
Founding Member

I'd never heard of Fulmer until now. For the price it looks like a nice helmet. If the venting works even just so-so, aerodynamics are adequate, and it doesn't weigh over 3.8 lbs I'd be interested in one, just not as my main helmet. I have a hard time believing it would surpass my Shoei RF-1000 for comfort, noise reduction, venting, and function (i.e. visor removal, peripheral vision, venting that actually works, etc.)

I've never considered wild graphics up my alley for an everyday helmet. You pay out the arse for graphics on helmets and my like and dislike for graphics comes and goes. Plus, the graphics on inexpensive helmets usually look pretty...well...inexpensive. The AFS7 though looks pretty good. At $135 I might be willing to buy it and have some fun with the look.

Suomy makes the most kick butt graphics that IÂ’ve seen on helmets to date. But IÂ’m not at the point where IÂ’m willing to drop five bills on a helmet (after looking at SuomyÂ’s website IÂ’m not sure if itÂ’s the graphics IÂ’d be paying for or for the cost to develop that site).
Old 02-11-2005, 02:32 AM   #6
cstewart77
Registered Member

Difficult to compare; lots of options....however, I think a good lid is money well spent. I bought a new street lid (Shoei) and super-moto Arai (XD) last year with great results....local dealers have sales, over-stocks, etc so you don't have to pay MSRP....and when I needed different inserts both manufacturers were a pleasure to work with and shipped them to me at no cost.

Chris

cstewart77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:44 AM   #7
mile_eater
Founding Member

Where can I find the reviews of the Not-Ugly Helmets?
Old 02-11-2005, 03:02 AM   #8
SRMark
Founding Member

I have come to dearly love flip up helments. But I don't think I'd wear one that looked like it was eating my head when it was flipped up.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:23 AM   #9
memery748
Registered Member

Looks like you ripped this off in an afternoon. Come on: You need to do the review again with a wider variety of popular helmets - and with reporting that's easier to evaluate. First, what makes a good helmet? for example,Safety (first, of course), quality of finish, comfort, airflow, weight, sound suppression.... or whatever you, as experts, want to list. THen give us a chart with, if not a rating, a short sentence or two on how this helmet performs. That would have been really helpful.

As is is, nice little puff piece. You can do better.
memery748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:29 AM   #10
ddlewis
Registered Member

Both excellent choices. After probably 15 years of Shoei RF series, I switched to an Arai last spring and love it. My favorite helmet to date.

(Whichever you pick, the really important thing is that you line the inside w/ aluminum foil to keep the Bushies from reading your brain waves!
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote