Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-06-2005, 10:22 AM   #11
tumbler
Founding Member

Default Re: Let's Hear It

fz6 with a less buzzy engine and more bottom end. hydraulic valve lash adjusters (I like riding much more than wrenching). Oh and analog gauges, digital sucks! And the most comfortable seat you can get. I have simple needs.
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2005, 10:40 AM   #13
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Yearning is an inherently human condition. And that’s what we’re talking about here – the constant yearning for a bike that satisfies us, theoretically, better than the one we already have (or have conquered, if you like). We mortals have fiscal constraints on our yearning, so we can’t recreate Jay Leno’s garage. My constraint is I can only have one bike if I want to keep my one wife.

When I went into the market last year to pick a bike, I put yearning aside and thought about the deficiencies in all the bikes IÂ’ve had and came up with a list of requirements. Had to be lighter than a CB900, better wind protection than a VF500, more comfortable than a 750 ACE, and good ergos like a 250 dirtbike. Other stuff I wanted: drop-dead reliability, low initial & recurring costs, ready dealer support throughout the US, FI, good mpg, good range, great lights, and ability to carry lots oÂ’ stuff. And, oh yeah, it had to be fun to ride.

I ended up with a 650 Strom and added bags, a bigger windshield, and Home Depot lowers onto the crash bars. This bike has kept my yearning in check. I still find myself relapsing and lusting after bikes (and now track days, thanks MO), but the gotta-have-it-now, drool cup response is tempered when I think of the shortcomings of my "lust bike" de jour. Throughout the lust episodes, I happily commute rain or shine on the Wee Strom and have never regretted buying it.

To improve the bike, Suzuki should add an ABS option and redesign it – I’m a firm believer that it costs just as much to make an ugly bike as a good looking one. Pity the Strom – it’s a bike only engineers can love (and we do).

For me, the 650 Strom (with some add-ons) is the synthesis of the SV650, VFR, and Connie.

cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:46 AM   #14
cptaebphd
Founding Member

The gauges were a deal-breaker for me. What were they thinking?
Old 02-06-2005, 11:04 AM   #15
qidude
Founding Member

Default standard bike/lopey V-twin

sounds exactly like the Yamaha MT-01 - if we could get it here.
qidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:17 AM   #16
roadpilot
Founding Member

Never mind the foray into never-to-be-built perfect bikes. If I had the money, I'd pay twice the price of a new bike to buy contentment with the bike I now have. 0-60 in about 3.65 seconds. All the clearance one could ever need on a deserted back road. The most unpeaky power curve of an engine. Unfortunately, contentment isn't for sale anywhere (you can't tell that to weekly Wal-Mart shoppers).As soon as Anybody makes the perfect bike for anyone, they'll price it out of reach of most riders. The few riders that can afford it will love it for a week or so, then go online to look for "better" exhuast, carb kits and/or power commanders. I really like my bike. Content with it? Well, not exactly. The worst 2 things about my bike are 1) it didn't make it into the "trinity," and 2) it is no longer in production. Nighthawk 750. Enjoy whatever bike you have and, please, do us used bike buyers a favor by never screwing with the carbs (unless you are the carb guy at the local bike shop).
roadpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:30 AM   #17
qidude
Founding Member

Default 650 V-Strom

I too have a 650 Strom, and regard it as the best all-arounder I have ever owned. I've added a few things like cptaebphd above, but I pretty much like it as is and don't want to mess with it too much. Its looks have even grown on me - go figure. On the days when I do fantasize about other more project-oriented bikes, there are a couple of things that I'd love to have.

Practicality notwithstanding, about the most fun I ever had buzzing around town, when I lived in the Bay Area, was on my '86 Yamaha SRX600. It was stock with a Supertrapp pipe (noticeable power gain, but more importantly, made it not sound quite so much like a lawn mower) and was a great, light, nimble, tractable bike for zipping around, lane splitting, and all that suicidal urban stuff I did in my misspent youth. Plus, I've always had a soft spot for thumpers.

Well, I happened to read recently about the MZ Scorpion Sport Cup. This bike seems just like the SRX but modernized - torquey Yamaha thumper engine, super light, great handling. My bike lust lit up like a Christmas tree. What a pity they just stopped making them a couple of years ago.

As a result, my fantasies are now revolving around an SV-650S (what the hell, love the engine in the Strom) to make into a barely street-legal trackday tool. Not a high priority, because the Strom satisfies so well on a daily basis. I'm just not sure I could stand to be seen on it at the track.
qidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:53 AM   #18
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Default Re: 650 V-Strom

But just think of the advantage we'll have riding the Stroms on the track -- the other riders will be laughing too hard to ride effectively.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:12 PM   #19
GreyOne
Registered Member

I'm on my 3rd VFR which pretty much answers the question about a favourite overall bike. Multi 8 -10 hour day trips are a pleasure as is the sound and overall goodness of the Honda.

My coolest bike was the 1971 Kawasaki H1A triple 2 stroke. No matter who I ride with or what a I am on, no other bike brought more attention from both cruiser and sport bike riders. Three months gone and it is missed.

Friends own a variety of HD and metric cruisers and it prompted me to purchse my first bike of this type, the Suzuki Volusia. I have been amazed at how well this MC handles and how much enjoyment it provides.

An enduro or dirt bike is next on the list to keep the VFR and VL800 company.
GreyOne is offline   Reply With Quote