Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-05-2005, 04:19 AM   #71
kowalke67
Founding Member

Default Re: Well done MO!!

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito."

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2005, 07:02 AM   #72
Hawkster
Founding Member

Default Re: Out of the Canyons & Onto the Track

Well, let me be the first: congratulations!

Are you going to keep racing?
Old 02-05-2005, 07:26 AM   #73
Hawkster
Founding Member

Pinkslip,

I think you've got it backwards. Don't limit your street riding, then try to make up for it at a track day. If you "try" too hard at a track day, you might end up in the crash truck. You still gotta ride within your limits. But, do a few track days and see how you feel about street riding after that.

I'm lucky to work with a track day organizer (www.thetrackclub.com -- shameless plug), so I get to do a bunch of track days in trade. But after doing a few, I scaled back my street riding for two reasons:

1) It doesn't compare to the track experience. I tell everyone I know how great it is, and they think I'm just trying to sell them on our track days. Nope, go to ANY responsibly run track day (they usually have a novice group so you're not on track with more experienced riders) and you'll have the time of your life! I still commute on my bike, but riding the twisties is now more of a social event to hang out with friends, or something to clear your head after a long day at work, than an adrenaline fix. And, knock on wood, I still don't have any speeding tickets while on my motorcycle. I probably ride closer to the speed limit now than before I did track days, even though my skills have improved significantly.

2) As your skills increase, your vision opens up and you begin to notice all of the road-side hazards, as well as the on-road hazards of the two- and four-wheel variety. (Well, YMMV, but I used to focus on where the asphalt went and what was about to enter my path. Not really tunnelvision, but I never paid much attention to things in the "run-off" area that could do some serious damage if I did end up sliding off the road. Now I see those things. They're really noticable... because they aren't there on the track. And they kind of take the fun out of the twisties.)

Of course, these are just my opinions. Others might ride more on the street after doing track days, or ride faster/more foolishly on the street. But my bet is that you won't.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:40 AM   #74
Hawkster
Founding Member

HobbleFoot,

Why not go do a track day and just ride within your limits? I've done 20+ track days and bike-to-bike incidents are FAR outnumbered by single-bike accidents. Responsible track day organizers emphasize safety at all times and remind their riders that a track day is not a free-for-all and not a race. Some do not allow passing in corners in the novice group; the one I work for (www.thetrackclub.com a.k.a., Club Desmo) only allows outside passing in the beginner and intermediate groups to prevent "stuff" passing.

Plus, if the track you choose has lots of smooth run-off area (Laguna Seca and Buttonwillow Raceway come to mind), you can always ride off the track (we call it "dirt-tracking") and try to keep it upright. Your bike might get dirty, but if you don't grab the front brake, there's a good chance you won't have anything to claim on your insurance.

It's your life and it's your bike, but IMO, you face more risks beyond your control on the street than on the track. Crashing sucks whether your insurance company covers it or not.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:50 AM   #75
Hawkster
Founding Member

Default Re: I've been wondering...

Just a nit here, but track days are not races. But I think that sounds like a great idea! Fortunately, we have two ideal subjects in Pete and Steve. They both have racing licenses and probably a record of their lap times. Send one to a multi-day STAR or CSS or Freddie Spencer, let the other do his thing at a couple of track days. Then enter them in the same race on similar (if not identical) bikes and see who does better. And see how much their lap times have come down after more track time!
Old 02-05-2005, 08:01 AM   #76
Hawkster
Founding Member

DO IT! It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. Or so I'm told. I'm not that fast

I ride my 1988 Honda Hawk GT at the track and have a blast (um, pardon the bad pun) every single time. But I've only ridden my friends' faster bikes at the track, so I was extra careful and rode slower than I do on my Hawk.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:06 AM   #77
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Wait! Wait! Don't give up, so soon...

Yeah, but, I bet if ya told the committee they might have a chance to apply electric shock (as part of the experiment, of couse) they might cotton-to the idea (I'll work our the detail, you get the batteries).

Hold it...Almost forgot...Today, is my and William S. Bourroughs' birthday (I'm fifty-one, he's still dead; we both, scare me, sometimes)...

No, no, you keep the applause (and, the singing of that awful song) for yourself; IÂ’ve had too much joy in my life, alreadyÂ…

Here's to another year of laughing with you-all, and your abundant humor, and sometimes at myself. Even if I really had a life, I'd still be here (just not as much). So, happy birthday to me...thank you MOs...and Mo staff, and if you guys keep me laughing, I'll be around next year, too (lucky you).
Old 02-05-2005, 08:23 AM   #78
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: Wait! Wait! Don't give up, so soon...

Happy Birthday. Go have a Naked Lunch and be sure to listen to some Steely Dan.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 08:26 AM   #79
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Thanks, man.

As a matter of fact, I bought my own FZR400.

Going to keep racing? Yup.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 10:37 AM   #80
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Ode to Uncle Billy and the Boys...

So few know the dildo...So few know the truth.

Steely Dan is afoot...The appendage uncouth.

Fagen and Becker, and Billy amused.

Chaos and frenzy, and syntax abused.

Read it don't eat it, the lunch that's laid bare.

Stare not at your plate, It's yourself that lays there.

Whoa, don't know where that came from...took 5 mins, though