Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-04-2005, 02:49 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Out of the Canyons & Onto the Track

Reading this story is why I can't go to the track. It would result in another addiction, that would cost me whatever is left from my other 10 addictions, the biggest of them is owning 4 bikes. Track time would be a blast, and the way they wrote about it, I'm sure Steve and Pete are hooked for life. The only reason I would go to the track is just to say I know Martin. That alone would do it for me.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2005, 02:53 AM   #12
Chango
Founding Member

Default Daggum Southern Californians

Darn lucky people! If I lived in southern California and had access to multiple tracks, I would love to do track days. Unfortunately living in central Arkansas means a 6-hour trip to a track in the Dallas area, or a 9-hour trip to Barber or Talladega. Adding up the expenses of attending the school, tires (because I wouldn't want to spend money on new tires and square them off for 6 or 9 hours before taking them on track), renting a truck (like these two guys, I only have a bike), gas and so forth, a track day gets really expensive really quickly. Of course, I don't see the point in having a high performance bike and not doing a track day...

So who wants to come with me to the track? I'm hoping to go to Barber on June 11 and 12 with Sportbike Track Time (http://www.sportbiketracktime.com). I'm sure I'll be the slowest one there, but at least I'll get my track-day cherry popped.

Chango
Old 02-04-2005, 03:23 AM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

I take back what I said.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:02 AM   #14
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Well done MO!!

Well done MO!!

Little did I know how one day at the track would challenge my skills.

The first thing that struck me out on the track is how much I had been depending on the old suggested turn speed limit signs you see on most street corners. If I saw a sign that said 35 MPH I knew that I could probally easily take the corner at 65 to 70 and so forth.

Out on the track there are no suggested turn speed limit signs. All of a sudden I am having to evaluate corners by looking at them with no help. This new ability alone helped me on my next street ride.

Also all you Buell haters out there take note. While you are changing out your radiator anti-freeze for water I'm ready to hit the track.

Another note, another guy I saw at the track with a modified XB9S Buell (Stock engine, modifided suspension) was giving all comers a really hard time in all the corners.

And it wasn't just Buell's giving some of the high end sport bikes a challenge, I found out that a really good rider on a Triumph Tiger on stock street tires can just STOMP on a new guy on a new GSXR600 in the corners who was running his mouth off about how good his bike was.

Final story, it's not the bike guys, it's the rider!!
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 04:54 AM   #15
iamz
Founding Member

Default Re: Where it's at...

I would bet that as demand went up, limiting the available space and time slots on the track, the cost should actually go up, based on pure market economics. Just a guess though.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM   #16
Holy_Kaw
Founding Member

Default Re: Well done MO!!

"Final story, it's not the bike guys, it's the rider!!"? No way!, if that was true I'd feel like a MOron. Every year I have to take a big loss on last years bike so I can get the latest and greatest. That way I can be faster than ALL the guys riding around on last years antiques!
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:20 AM   #17
Holy_Kaw
Founding Member

You guys are SICK but I like that. Great job guys, another interesting and informative article. I rode the big track at Willow 28 years ago and remember it frequently. You HAD to get a good drive coming on to the front straight so everyone could see how fast you were, what scary foolishness. Pete you must have replaced that clutch by now, the REX wants some of that Bandit!
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:32 AM   #18
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default I would hope...

As the the popularity increased, more time would be purchased by different-companies who (if were lucky) would begin competing with each other...Or, it could just end-up costing more and be more crowded, like you pretty-much said.

Me, if I could get 4hrs of track time (spread over a month) that would be more than enough. After an hour of hard riding, I'M Wasted!
Old 02-04-2005, 05:38 AM   #19
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: Daggum Southern Californians

A six hour trip to the track would be a luxury for me. It is 825 miles from my home in Idaho to WSIR, one way.

Have fun in June!

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:39 AM   #20
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Well done MO!!

Technically then, the GSXR guy was right to run his mouth off about how good his bike was, as long as he didn't simultaneously run his mouth off about how good a rider he was. LOL
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote