Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-28-2005, 06:51 PM   #71
27ray
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Street

I put 16000 iles on my 2002 954 in 11 months, freeway to work, canyons to work, and canyons, it was a great bike but honestly too much bike, i ALWAYS had to watch it and unless i was on an entrance ramp with no traffic couldn't hold the throttle open for more than a few seconds. 20-110+ on before even getting on the highway. I loved it but sold it and got a '99 VFR 800.

i went just as fast on the VFR ('cept getting on the highway) as the 954, but it was so heavy, and I know they say it has midrange but the power was so bland it bored me to tears, plus kind'a pushed the front end. In the end I sold it too. to heavy and kind's ugly.

Well I bought a red one (I like to be seen by car drivers if at all possible) last week for 9K OTD. I have ridden it twice. Once to work on the 10 to the 405 to the 101 to the 134 (26 miles each way) and it was fine, can't say much about the power since i didn't get it over 8500 or so but it didn't have much trouble getting out of it's own way so that was good. There was a bit of a buzz on the free way and it was a bit taunt but i haven't played with the suspention. The steering is sharp, sharper than the 954, very tight and direct an lots of feel (think holding the axel in your hands kind of feel, amazing really)

The other time was up in the SSM (where the photos were taken) and yes the roads were for sh*t lots of rock and wet patches and a general film of dirt on the road, add that i haden't ridden in about 4 months and i was pretty slow.

Still i was able to get a taste of the bike at the top of piuma and a the far side of mohulland, and i can see great potential.

it has a wild rush like the 954 had but enough grunt to run a gear higher as long as you aren't afraid to carry some corner speed in. And it feels very adjustable, in the corner, all be it i was going at some pretty low speeds.

As far as this bring a started bike.... I have been riding sport bikes almost every day exclusivly since '87 i.e. this last 4 months was just about the longest span I have gone with out riding since i started, and i thought I always wanted the bigger CBr 600 size, 100 HP. I have to say not much fun, not much fun at all. It had tons of power and I could wheelie any time I wanted but i was ALWAYS, ALWAYS on my mind how mcu power i had and how easy it was to break the back end loose, or lift the front coming out of a turn or a quick transition. Even this 600 can go way faster than 97% of the guys out there (including me) and 100% of the safety zone for the roads we ride on. maybe i am getting old but to think of this bike as a "starter" to ride for a year till you cab get 1000 HP just smacks of insanity. This from a guy who uesd to pass 1000's all the time on my SRX 250 (air cooled single) on the crest (on the way down that is, honestly could get much over 70 going up the crest, but i didn't go much less that 70 either

Any way great bike, love it can't wait to take it for a 400 mile shake down cruise this weekend, look for the bike number 27 on my jacket.

-ray

27ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2005, 09:26 PM   #74
imported_g_k
Founding Member

Good point. I also agree about the benefit of articles about a broad range of bikes - I think the MO article about the Husky SMR was what really got me interested in buying one - the print mags sure didn't have any riding reviews.

I think the "racetrack focus" comments are a tad overblown, though. I've owned a few 4-cyl sportbikes (CBR900 & 929, GSXR750) and a Ducati 748, and they were all pretty comfortable on the freeway or any highway with speeds above 75 or so, which has been pretty common for my commuting over the years. None of them were all that great in stop & go traffic, especially the 748, but the wind protection and feeling of stability on all of them felt better the faster I travelled. And I'm a 58 year old geezer, although my runs are generally longer than 3 miles.
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 01:25 AM   #75
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: I honestly don't dislike you, Kpaul, but...

We were all wondering how long it would take for you to finally see the truth.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:40 AM   #76
seruzawa
The Toad

Going to the gym makes perfect sense for someone like KPile who spends a maximum of 30 minutes on a bike every week. He has no idea what it means to spend 10 hours in the saddle in a day.

Now, if KPile would just add 7 minutes with his head in a bucket of his own MO effluvient to his workout.......

No time to go to the gym today. Gotta snowshoe to the cabin and fell a couple of trees.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:57 AM   #77
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default You'd think I'd know better, wouldn'g ya?

Oye! That I should live so long, to learn my lessons.

Is it too late to vote Good-Bye: or, at least, to keep him in his coffin until sun-set?

Old 01-29-2005, 03:16 AM   #78
jungkvist
Founding Member

Brie: Now, that's a great illustration! Brie costs a rediculous price, but it tastes like cream-cheese that's been sitting around too long.

I like mixing Colby into my pancake-batter. It sounds awful,until you try it (I'm sucha low-brow).
Old 01-29-2005, 03:50 AM   #79
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default About that, spending more time in the gym...

Golly, I never knew I was sucha slugg. Guess my tennis trophies magically appeared. And, my memories of playing tournaments (in 100 degree heat, in my late-forties) must be a fantasy. But, since, I wasn't playing on clay (hitting sixty-ball rallies) I'd have been a puss, anyway.

Now, I wonder why so many Yuppies dislike me? After all, since it was a fantasy, I couldn't have hit them with a tennis ball, after they hit a short-lob and were dumb-enough to stay at the net (Hmmm, must be my personality).

And, just think of all the competition I could have had, if I'd been standing in front of a mirror, in the gym, instead of being off in dream-land. Building a manly physique, and posing for girls, must be so taxing; it makes one wonder, how anyone can do it.

Hey, if nothing else, I must have a good imagination!

Oh well, back to the recliner...Wonder what Buggs Bunny is doing today? :-0
Old 01-29-2005, 03:56 AM   #80
fdavis
Founding Member

I am a 44 year motorcyclist, riding since 10, and I love the sporting middleweights from the Japanese manufacturers. Something about spooling a motor up to go fast and the feel of less crankshaft mass is fun to me.

I also like lots of other types of bikes, but all limited to bikes that actually work like motorcycles (bikes that can accelerate, turn and stop well). I guess part of what makes motorcyles fun is that they mean different things to different people.
fdavis is offline   Reply With Quote