Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Hansen Dam Britbike Rally (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2633-hansen-dam-britbike-rally.html)

seruzawa 01-19-2005 11:57 AM

Re: I gotta agree with both of you...

I bought a Ksaki W2650SS when I was in Japan in '70 and brought it home. It was a copy of the pre-unit BSA 650. It was a heavy bike compared to the Beezers or Trumpets and thus a bit slower. However with Mikuni carbs, Nippondenso electrics and the better quality control it ran fairly reliably for many years. I only had to trailer it home twice in the 60K miles I put on it. It was so worn out by then that I could start it by hand! It finally backfired through the leaky valves and caught on fire. A fitting funeral.

seruzawa 01-19-2005 12:02 PM

Re: Hansen Dam Britbike Rally

If you really want to stir the pot do some research on the "Medieval Climate Optimum". It kind of makes the worries about warming a bit moot. We already know what the world was like when it is much warmer than today.

captainwhoopass 01-19-2005 12:16 PM

They were nice, but nothing cranks my motor like a BSA Gold Star or Norton Manx as far as styling goes. I'd take one of them over a pre-unit Triumph 650 any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

SeanAlexander 01-19-2005 01:38 PM

Amen!

ofreen 01-19-2005 02:31 PM

There is something being overlooked in this discussion about a Britbike rally. The debate over global warming involves at least two suppositions. One is whether or not it is an actual long term tendency. The other is that if the warming is actual, it is because of human activity. That is where politics enter into it. Those who accept both suppositions as factual tend to want to give governments (national and international) power to do something about it. This is a real bag of worms with huge political and economic consequences. Those that would like to keep government off of our backs (because of govt's bungling and murderous tendencies) tend not to want to acknowledge either supposition as actual.

seruzawa 01-19-2005 02:43 PM

Dang. It is a tough choice. I could stare at any one of 'em for hours if it were in my garage.

dylanmo 01-19-2005 06:27 PM

Try micro- or nano-bikes or bike-on-a-chip, maybe the NIH and NSF will send you garbage bags full of $20s

We're working on micro engines, we should probably heed KPauls advice and try to make micro inline fours.

pdad13 01-19-2005 07:31 PM

You know, after I finished that post I realized that I hadn't addressed the causation issue, which is really the crux of the problem. When I referenced the "Global Warming" theory as we know it, I assumed the proposed human causation (ozone depletion by hydro carbons, etc.) was implicit. I just had to get back to work and didn't clarify.

Yes, SBP, you're right. There seems to be evidence of a warming trend. But to insist, as some have done, that this is entirely due to industrialization over the last 100 hundred years, seems to me to be a flimsy premise at best. I also question how accurate our temperature data from earlier eras can possibly be. Can methods like studying the interior of trees (I'll call them geological forensics) really get us accurately within a half of a degree of the average temperature with any amount of certainty? I don't know; you man certainly know better.

Just as a silly anecdotal aside, I get different temparture readings from the local weather sources almost every day that vary between 1-3 degrees F. Obviously, serious scientists use very sophisticated means to figure out historical temperatures, but can we really be certain that these are accurate to within fractions of a degree over hundreds years or hundreds of thousands of years?

pdad13 01-19-2005 07:52 PM

I did understand your point, Sean. I'm sorry, I didn't clarify my point. What I meant by "the Global Warming theory as we know it today" was the theory of a comprehensive temperature increase caused by human industrialization. If the Earth has been undergoing warming and cooling cycles for millions of years, I don't see how we can realistically attribute a warming trend that has been taking place, in geological terms, for a blink of an eye to any human cause in particular. And since the theory is based, as some sources claim, on a half of degree of average temperature, and we don't have reliable weather records beyond the last century, I question if we can really be certain that our temperature history is accurate enough to be sure that we're even in a significant warming trend. Even a small margin of error, say .00001 of a degree over thousands of years, could put us well off of the mark.

I woudn't say that global warming by human causation definitely doesn't exist, either. Just that no one seems to have any real compelling evidence yet.

pdad13 01-19-2005 08:02 PM

I'm not questioning that at all. You're right. What I'm questioning is how accurate our historical data is. Seems to me that even if the margin of era is only a tiny fraction of a degree over hundreds of thousands of years, we could be significantly off of the mark. I don't have a lot of faith in weather records from 100, 200, or 1000 years ago. And I wonder even if modern forensic methods can really get us that close enough to be sure about anything.