Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-02-2005, 07:49 AM   #81
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Concours & Interceptor

I think the reviews of the VFR I have read for years: "hang with the supersports Sunday morning, commute all week and two up tour next weekend" don't apply anymore.The supersports are lightyears ahead, commuting is about the same and according to reports, everyone is as fat as ever. Hey, 2/3 of my study requires more power

I learned on a 1985 VFR750. Since then, I have owned a'90, '97 and '99 with some 10+ bikes thrown in between. I decided to skip the vtec generation of price, performance and service. I really would put a deposit down today for an '06 with 110rwp at less than 520lbs. That isn't even asking for forward thinking.

I bought an Aprilia Futura ('02 w/4k miles) to ride until honda ups the cc's and drops some weight. I must say, it is a fantastic bike.

Has anyone else noticed how sexy the white wheels were on the 1990 VFR?
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2005, 08:58 AM   #82
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Enjoy it while it lasts. It'll be gone soon. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:39 AM   #83
seruzawa
The Toad

Heck, I think it's great that you are starting to ride in your 40s and DIDN'T get a big forking cruiser.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:27 AM   #84
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Yes, the white and pearl white VFRs were far and away the best looking of the lot. Although, back in 85 I did have a poster over my bed of the "new" VFR 750 White with red & blue trim, magnesium side covers.... oh I can remember the drool clearly.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:32 AM   #85
pdad13
Founding Member

I second that.

(Although the VFR could be a stretch for a first bike, too. But much better than big cruiser.)
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #86
Fenton
Founding Member

The Interceptor (85) is not a bike I would recommend for learning to ride. I rode circles in a church parking lot for two days before my friend (bike owner) let me take it down the street. It maybe that experience that has kept the VFR among my favorite. Every time I see a "new" bike I think, buy a yellow 2000, throw some Ohlins on and go.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 01:42 PM   #87
kowalke67
Founding Member

Default Re: Mini Comparo: Concours vs. Interceptor

Yep, the Bandit is another great bang for the buck motorcycle. Look at this one. It belongs to a guy on the www.ducati.ms forum I logon to sometimes. Not exactly the one I'd tour on but it looks like a fun one for the track or some hooligan fun.

<a href="http://www.timmfamily.com/Bikes/Bikes-Bandit1200S/bikes-bandit1200.html">
Naked Bandit</a>
Old 01-02-2005, 02:20 PM   #88
Hipshot
Registered Member

Holy Cow! Do we need some more catagories for motos? I'm partial to that class called Sportouring, but some is one and some ain't. I bought my old ST-1100 back in '96 because is was s'posed to be one, but in fact, it ain't a whole lot sportier than my Goldwing I bought next, and we all KNOW a Wing ain't a sportourer. Why then could I make a familiar bunch of roads in Colorado about as fast on the wing as on the ST? I also had a big K-bike set up as a tourer. Eh... 'bout the same as the ST. I guess what I would suggest is sport touring - which is any bike that handles well and is pretty fast, but not a race replica. Then it would be Light Tourer - which might include the Concours, the ST, the R/RT, etc, and finally, Heavy Tourer - you know who they are.

Anyhow, I like the head to head tests, though I would appreciate them more if they were more objective than just the opinion of some addle headed motojournalist.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 03:23 PM   #89
dylanmo
Founding Member

I like the head to head tests, though I would appreciate them more if they were more objective than just the opinion of some addle headed motojournalist.

I think what you're looking for is ConsumerReports.org
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 03:52 PM   #90
rider_md
Founding Member

Default Re: VTEC valve noise ?

the vfr800 is my ride and nope, not sure what you're talking about. when vtec kicks in around 6.5-7k you feel and hear something... but it kinda gets lost in the kick of the pull.

speaking of which, im personally not a big fan of the vtec pull... i mean its nice at first, but can get kinda annoying over the long term... i like smooth transitions in power.
rider_md is offline   Reply With Quote