Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-02-2005, 01:32 AM   #71
designeraccd
Founding Member

Default Re: Concours & Interceptor

I haven't ridden the latest "hi-tech" VFR, but I did briefly own a '98. For my tastes way to much use of the gearbox was required to move down somewhat twisty backroads fast. OTOH until recently I had a '92 VFR 750F..WOW! GR8 fun to ride, and listen to; she definately moved and made "music". Superb combo of ride and handling, strong well modulated brakes. Of all the many Hondas I've had that bike definately was my favorite. However, she was recently traded for a new, unwanted '03 Suzook SV1000N, neat bike with a very strong engine that has lots of torque, good handling, strong brakes, so-so saddle. Nothing like a powerful Vtwin.

The Kaw sounds sort of interesting, but as I own a ST1300, which is one of the most capable bikes I've ever owned zzzzzzzzzz...oops. So good and refined that it's a snoozurr(talk about jaded...); maybe that is why the Kaws have such a following: character, fun to ride despite the "flaws"? DFO

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2005, 03:50 AM   #72
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Mini Comparo: Concours vs. Interceptor

For $8k I'd buy a 1200 Bandit and put GIVI's and a Rifle or Double Bubble windshield on it.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 04:42 AM   #73
obandoj
Founding Member

Did anybody notice how polite Kpaul has become?
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 05:01 AM   #74
seruzawa
The Toad

After all is said and done, even though "old and obsolete" the Concours is still an excellent Interstate eating device at a killer price. The VFR is "old and obsolete" as well, but why Honda gets a pass on this is a real head scratcher. Harley markets specifically for the people who like newly manufacturered old bikes. They get attacked by the sportbike crowd for this. Yet Honda does this with the VFR and gets raves for it.

The VFR is ridiculously over priced for an 800cc machine. Over $11K? Over $10K for non-ABS? Get real. It's also "old and obsolete" with an ancient powerplant only recently encumbered with an unneccessary and ineffective "technology for technology's sake" VTEC system. Perhaps this explains why Honda only sells 2000 of the "World's Greatest Motorcycle" each year. Apparently the buying public doesn't agree that the VFR is so wonderful. A friend of mine recently bought a ZZR1200 for under $10K. The Honda dealer won't knock a nickel off of the VFR. I would never in a million years pay more for a VFR than a ZZR1200 or a ZX10 or a ZX12 or or or.....

This puts the VFR in the running the "World's Worst Motorcycle Buy." There is no way the features of the VFR justify such an overblown price. This shows in its poor sales numbers. In fact it's hard to spend that much money on a Japanese fully faired motorcycle and get as little performance as you get with a VFR. It's even a worse deal when you consider the electrical problems of the VFR that Honda has refused to address. Honda of Salt Lake has an 04 VFR sitting for sale near their dust-gathering Rune - a perfect juxtaposition.

The incessant touting of the VFR by CW is an example of the disconnect that often exists between journalists and the actual public that actually has to spend its own actual money, not just galivant around on free wheels.

It's simply the pricing that kills the VFR's sales. No matter how wonderful and glowing and orgasmic the test reports written by people who don't have to pay for the thing, the fact is that a new VFR is still a $10K plus overbored 750. And an old one at that. Any other manufacturer would be roundly (and rightly) lambasted for offering such a boat anchor year after year.

Get it down to $9K tops, fix the regulator problem, and you've got something else entirely. After all, most of the Honda VFR's production facilities are as depreciated as the Connie's. What excuses such overpricing? On the other hand, being overpriced, the VFR falls right into line with Honda's entire line of products from ATVs to lawnmowers. So we can't expect much else.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:01 AM   #75
seruzawa
The Toad

He got threatened with banning again.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:22 AM   #76
sarnali
Founding Member

Don't forget cars....Honda cars are spendy too.....

Honda is of the same mind set GM was in 30 years ago...We're the biggest...We're the best..We've got the most money.....Look at the features... Look at the technology... If you ask really nicely, we might let you buy one........

Other than the 919 and 599 series there's nothing there I'd want. They make a decent product, no doubt, and my '97 was a fun bike, but realistically my 1200 Bandit was way more fun and way more reliable and would be my pick over ANY Honda.

I do use their chain lube though..goes on clear..don't fling off...wonderful stuff. If you get right down too it, ALL the Japanese manufacturers ***** me off with their refusal to sell us anything but sport bikes and Harley clones.

They all do at least have one or two performance standards in their line up, for which I'm grateful, but precious few small bore learner bikes or commuters for newbies to learn on, and they reserve their big bore standards for Europe. This is supposed to be their largest market, why do we have to put up with this crap?

sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 06:52 AM   #77
seruzawa
The Toad

Hey, it's the way of the world. Honda charges more because they can. I spent a few minutes checking out new bike prices and I really can't justify the price of the Interceptor. There's a new ZX12 parked right next to that new VFR I was looking at and the price is about the same. I can't understand how Honda sells one much less 2000 per year. Sure, all complaints aside, the VFR is a fine motorcycle. But it's certainly no bargain.

Lessee. I've got around $10K to spend. I can get an Interceptor or I can get a Sprint ST. An Interceptor? Oh please.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:31 AM   #78
Founding Member

Can u think "slightly used"? I got an '02 for $6K with $1,300 in add-ons. In 9 months, I put on 9K "sweet" miles - probably still worth $6k.
1194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:40 AM   #79
seruzawa
The Toad

It's always smart to buy any type of vehicle slightly used. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. Even then, though, I can still get a Sprint ST at a comparable price. I'll take the extra displacement.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:43 AM   #80
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: To be fair...

It's 40 degrees again today and the snow's gone. I'm outta here! Vroomnu demands a sacrifice.