Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-01-2005, 03:47 PM   #61
Founding Member

Default Re: Concours & Interceptor

Agreed, I still can't believe I can "own" something this aestethically as well as as functionally pleasing. "Mona Lisa" eat your hear out!!!! As the actor on 2WTues recently said about the handling - "Butter" !!!
1194 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2005, 03:50 PM   #62
Founding Member

Agreed, I still can't believe I can "own" something this aestethically as well as as functionally pleasing. "Mona Lisa" eat your heart out!!!! As the actor on 2WTues recently said about the handling - "Butter" !!!
1194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 04:28 PM   #63
HarryMyhre
Founding Member

Default Concours

Nice to see a review of the Concours.

I bought a used Concours a few years ago. Road it north from Los Angeles, up to Yoesemite, then up highway 49 to Sacramento, up past Clear Lake, then out to the pacific coast. Road highway one all the way back to Los Angeles.

I was putting in twelve hour days of riding. I found the Concours really comfortable for all day riding. FWIW, I am 6'8". The bike had plenty of power for me.
HarryMyhre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 05:33 PM   #64
GS1100GK
Founding Member

Guy's nice comparo! I almost bought a new 05 Connie in August (I had a 99), but decided to get the ZZR1200 instead after taking the ZZR for a test ride. What a dream machine the ZZR1200 is. Got full GIVI (sides, top case), taller Kawasaki windshield, communication system, you get the picture.

The Concours is a great motorcycle for the right rider who is looking for bang for the buck. Not all of us are wowed and dazzled by the latest technology. Just give us a bike that gets us from point A to B without a fuss and can be fun to ride. I also own a 1982 GS1100GK which does just that.

I've never had the pleasure of riding an Interceptor, but I'm sure it is entertaining given Honda's attention to detail.

I think an even better comparison would be between the Concours and the bike everyone felt would replace it, the ZZR1200. If you agree you can stop by and borrow my ZZR for the test. Maybe you can do a better job of keeping the front wheel down than I do!
GS1100GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 05:43 PM   #65
GS1100GK
Founding Member

Default Re: Mini Comparo: Concours vs. Interceptor

Holy Kaw, I used to own a 99 Connie and you are right about fixing the annoying buzz. Adjust the balance shaft, or some say a great carb sync will do it too. Not a big problem.

Fix the seat with a Corbin, and maybe Sean would buy one.

I just bought a new ZZR1200 in August. It would have been interesting to compare the Connie to the ZZR1200, the bike everyone felt would replace the Connie.
GS1100GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 05:51 PM   #66
MichaelO
Registered Member

Nice job Sean, Martin & Fonzie!

I have to say that I am partial to the VFR as I bought a stealth black one at the end of October this year (I guess it's last year now). Just like Fonzie felt when parting with his VFR, mine's away for the winter... do I have something in my eye?

I agree also about the "lack" of power compared to the weight of the VFR. Even though this is my first bike and I'm in my early forties (late bloomer), I feel the bike having to pull hard to get it going off the start but if certainly has enough power for me. I was planning on a V-Strom as I didn't like the leaning over feel of a sports bike, but once I sat on the Interceptor, it just felt right. You certainly don't feel the weight until you have to pick it up. I dropped it, though ever so slowly, in the parking lot and it was heavy getting it back on its wheels.

The handling is amazing. It almost drives itself and the balance is perfect. Corners are a breeze. You just feel like part of the bike.

though certainly more pricey, with the ABS and the hard bags, I think it's an excellent choice for you sport-tourers out there.
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 06:02 PM   #67
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

"The guys and I agreed that this bike would rule the world with a 1000 V-Four in the engine bay." I'm pretty sure I could agree with that statement (could be 1 litre+ for me!) along with almost every experienced Motorcyclist that has riden a VFR that I've talked to. What do we know? Honda has spoken.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 06:14 PM   #68
Patman
Founding Member

I wish more moto journos would pan the Connie with as much (or more) gusto as y'all did. I think we'd all like to see Kawi get up off their ass and give us an updated version of this bike, but as long as people keep saying things like, "The Connie is still a fine and very affordable sport tourer." what friggin' incentive do they have.? Bah! I want those rat bastards to produce something that will make Yamaha's FJR1300 look anemic.
Patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 06:59 PM   #69
schizuki
Founding Member

"I think we'd all like to see Kawi get up off their ass and give us an updated version of this bike"

They did. ZZR1200. Missed the mark.

Any replacement would have to keep the low, low price. Not sure it could be done.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 07:01 PM   #70
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

That ZZR is a rocket/blast but you're not saying to replace the Connie in the MO trinity are you??? No. At least not to me.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote