Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-01-2005, 02:53 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Mini Comparo: Concours vs. Interceptor

I got a lot of seat time on the VFR during the Streetfighter Comparo, and I came away impressed. It's so Honda.! Everything fits and works the way it should, and after 5 minutes on the bike you are totally comfortable, even if you are a bit larger than the average rider. The handling was rock solid, although it did feel heavier than the others, it still had solid and predictable handling. It has a stealthy sort of acceleration. So much so, that I was always going faster on that bike than I thought. It didn't FEEL fast, but it WAS pretty fast. The VTEC made the right noises above 7000, but the kick in the pants really wasn't all that noticable. The styling is a love/hate thing, and I thought it looked pretty good. It all works so perfectly and seamlessly, things could get a bit boring on it I guess. That's the worst thing I can say about the machine. The guys and I agreed that this bike would rule the world with a 1000 V-Four in the engine bay. Still, a very nice and impressive motorcycle.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2005, 04:34 AM   #22
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: To be fair...

You have to test the Concours in the context of an '80's bike. I realize it's sold new so it goes against new bikes but from a Techno stand point it's an 80's bike.

When they came out it was considered a very advanced and competant bike, I almost bought one, but got a K100RS instead..(class will tell)..still the fixes are cheap, the bike is basicaly bulletproof and dirt cheap. I think you could do worse.

You should have tested the 90's version VFR. That is the bike that forms the pillar of the Holy MOly Trinity as per GPTB lore. With that bike and a D&D can, you get the whole VFR experiance, cam gear whine & small block Pro-Stocker rumble at idle, funny car howl at full yank.

It's the kind of deal where you look forward to going through 2nd 3rd and 4th in town just to hear it echo off the store fronts. Along with the Triumph triple howl it's one of motorcyclings best sound tracks.

My '97 VFR was probably the best handling bike I've owned and a great deal of fun to ride, with the non V-Tec valve gear the adjustments weren't expensive and I think the intervals were around 18k or so so maintainance was pretty much oil and filters (and the odd stator and voltage regulator)

All in all it was a pretty decent bike. A set of soft bags or GIVI's and some Heli bars would make a pre V-Tec VFR a fairly cheap sport tourer that's competitive with anything else on the road for half the price.

They are hard on front tires though, mine ate up a set of D205's and then D220's in pretty short order. A set of Avon AV45/46's would give it good tire milage and stick pretty good in sport tour-commuter mode. For all out sport riding I think Diablos would work well.

Nice review.. Happy and prosperous New Year to all. Had smoked Salmon and Scotch for New Years, 4 hours sleep and then rode the bike in to work this morning, 39 degrees, wet and foggy, did the Ton on my Triumph, looks like the years off to a great start LOL
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 05:40 AM   #23
Outlander
Founding Member

I'm glad you included comments of how the VFR compared to the 'streetfighters' and Sportster. Without some kind of rolling ranking table its easy to read a review and walk away with the notion that the winner of the latest comparison test ranks on par with the best bikes available.

In part 2 of the upcoming streetfighter comparison I'd be more interested in seeing how the FZ-1 compares with the VFR than the Buell.
Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 06:00 AM   #24
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Aerodynamics!

The VTEC made the right noises above 7000, but the kick in the pants really wasn't all that noticable.

That's because even VTEC can't push a barn-sized aerodynamic load protruding from the windscreen through the air any faster at high speeds.

- sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 06:01 AM   #25
Buzz_Waloch
Founding Member

Default Re: Bah.

Well I believe it wasn't included because 6 bikes were enough and it would have finished last anyway.

I've got nothing against the Concours (I've ridden a couple of them) but it feels every bit the 80s UJM that it is.
I sincerely apologize for my antics her at MO. It is readily apparent that the majority of MO readers do not appreciate my megalomaniac WWF MO persona. Like the husband that is the last to know his wife is having an affair, I did not understand the detrim
Buzz_Waloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 06:13 AM   #26
Buzz_Waloch
Founding Member

Default My .02

Happy New Year MoFos.

I too was allowed to flog the VFR a bit during our streetfighter comparo (I declined a spin aboard the Concours. I've ridden it plenty).

I had just finished blasting through a canyon road on the Buell and MV Agusta. I hopped on the VFR and was amazed how well it stuck through the corners. I kept waiting for the "cheap" suspension to rear its ugly head and it never did.

The VTech howl is awesome above 7 grand but I still prefer the old gear-whine. It's a little soft in the midrange. I think my ST4 would pull away in that area despite similar hp and torque. If you drop it down to 3rd gear it will just fly from 70-120 (although I never did this on a public street in any state in the United States of America. I just heard this from someone else).

The Connie, well, yeah it's cheap and the owners group is loyal, but let's face it, if motorcycles were all the same price would anyone pick the Kawi first?
I sincerely apologize for my antics her at MO. It is readily apparent that the majority of MO readers do not appreciate my megalomaniac WWF MO persona. Like the husband that is the last to know his wife is having an affair, I did not understand the detrim
Old 01-01-2005, 06:23 AM   #27
pdad13
Founding Member

On the looks, I agree with you. I think that of all the bikes from the origami school of design, this is one of the best. It has killer overall lines, only tainted by some post-modern baroque touches.

I thought about buying a VFR last year but the price and valve maintenance cost scared me off. Now, a VFR-1000 could make me reconsider.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 06:41 AM   #28
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Ah man..... did you have to mention the smoked salmon and scotch..... I think I have to - ummmmm..... excuse myself again..... BRB

Happy New Year everyone.

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 06:45 AM   #29
Buzz_Waloch
Founding Member

Default Re: Aerodynamics!

I suppose the "kick in the pants" on an aircraft carrier isn't all that noticeable either.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:55 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

We got four inches of snow last night... so f%ck off!.