Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-28-2004, 04:29 PM   #1
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Ducati 999

I've said it before, the 999 looks pretty good to me.

Although I must admit that the cosmetic tweaks do improve the look. Nice story.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2004, 05:06 PM   #2
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Another good job Yossef. I too found last years 999 to be beautiful. In fact I believe that the new 999 while still a good looking motorcycle is a bit more stodgy looking with the wider faring, and the color matched frame is less pleasing to the eye than the previous editions. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 05:10 PM   #3
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

As always, Yossef, a great read.

But I wonder how the thing descends gullies?

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 05:10 PM   #4
Buzz_Waloch
Founding Member

Default Shazbat nanu nanu

I'm still chuckling over that one.

A friend at the gym has a new 999R. I'm going to have to strong-arm him for a ride.
I sincerely apologize for my antics her at MO. It is readily apparent that the majority of MO readers do not appreciate my megalomaniac WWF MO persona. Like the husband that is the last to know his wife is having an affair, I did not understand the detrim
Buzz_Waloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 05:21 PM   #5
nbyers
Registered Member

Default 2005 Ducati 999 - And sporting twins in general

I've been dissing the 999 for its goofy styling ever since it debuted; I was sure David Robb was behind it somewhere.

But this latest incarnation with the revised fairing and color matched frame is much, much better.

BUT--here in Seattle you can buy a 999 for $12000 or drive a few blocks to Moto International and buy a Mille R for $9000. This is not a misprint, as they say. I was by there today and they've got a bunch of leftover Aprilia inventory they picked up from other dealers.

It's unbelievable how cheap the Aprilias are. You can get a new, '04 Factory with Oz wheels, Ohlins, and Brembos for $13,000.

999 versus Mille? If I wanted a sporting twin, there's no contest. The latest generation Mille has the stonkin' performance and just makes me sweat a little harder than the 999.

nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 05:42 PM   #6
waepoint
Founding Member

Thanks for the interesting story, Yossef. Killing the upper intakes finally gives the front end a cohesiveness that it had lacked. Previous 999's just looked busy to me, with angles and gaps flying at odd angles everywhere, but just a few subtle changes have worked wonders. I guess we can start to forgive Ducati for the impossible task of replacing the 916/996/998 so long as they continue to evolve the V-Twin platform. Better looks, more ponies, less weight ... knock a few (and then another few) thou of the price and they'd almost be Japanese.
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 05:52 PM   #7
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Ahh Yossef, sure sounds like the life. I've been a fan of Ducati's since my first ride on a 749 (well ok always). The handling of that bike set a highwater mark that still stands for me. I could change lines mid-corner with no problem at street speeds! The confidence inspired by it's braking and useable power delivery as well would make it my first choice for serious street riding in tight to medium tight "twisties". The sounds it makes going about it's business is music to my ears. With a bunch more power it (the 999) would seem a formidable, user friendly, weapon in the canyon's. I understand that the increased recipricating mass somewhat slows it's "throwability" though (compared to the 749). I hope to get a chance to try one of these new 999's.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 05:58 PM   #8
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: 2005 Ducati 999 - And sporting twins in general

Ohlins AND Brembos for 13K?! Makes me wish I had Buzz's tax bracket problems. No, really... this is a business expense!
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 06:40 PM   #9
Buzz_Waloch
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Ducati 999 - And sporting twins in general

My only concern with the Aprilia would be its teetering financial situation. Ducati and MV Agusta are slightly less teetering-at least for the moment.
I sincerely apologize for my antics her at MO. It is readily apparent that the majority of MO readers do not appreciate my megalomaniac WWF MO persona. Like the husband that is the last to know his wife is having an affair, I did not understand the detrim
Buzz_Waloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 06:59 PM   #10
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Shazbat nanu nanu

Thank you very much!