Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-30-2004, 05:52 AM   #71
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

Default Re: 2005 Ducati 999

well, to describe it futher:

the mirrors shake (up and down) so badly that I think they're gonna fall off.

I checked with the dealer and they said "It's not a Honda, you know?" Great answer

It also feels very light, almost like the R1 'cat with it's tail on fire' feel.

I live in N.J. and I did the 150 plus on the Garden State Parkway. If anyone knows, there are these expansion bumps on the overpasses. The rear tire would sail about 6" off the pavement after hitting them.

as I said before, this summer I'll get the real feel of it and report back.
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2004, 06:30 AM   #72
Anti-ChickenStrip
Founding Member

If you're going 150 on the highway and lofting the rear end over expansion joints I HOPE you're able to report back to us this summer - perhaps you could find a track.
Anti-ChickenStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 07:13 AM   #73
TEvo
Registered Member

Default Re: sure, it's a great bike, but ....

I agree.

I'm primarily frustrated because I didn't buy a boatload of Motor Company stock back in the day...

`00 SV65
TEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 07:15 AM   #74
TEvo
Registered Member

2 more cylinders, 20+ more horsepower and lighter weight.

Yeah, any of the current 1000cc fours would "waste" it pretty quickly, given equal riders.
`00 SV65
TEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 07:25 AM   #75
kowalke67
Founding Member

Interesting comment on the insurance. My ST3 costs me $450 a year full coverage (I bumped the coverage amounts up a couple levels and I have a $1000 deductible). Guess the difference in insurance covers the valve adjustments and then some between the 999 and the R1. You'll have to own it a few years to make up the difference in MSRP but not that many really.

I'll speculate and say there are fewer crashes (using a percent statistic, not actual sums) on 999's than on R1's based on the kind of rider purchasing them. Before flaming me, I'm not categorizing all big 4 liter bike riders as dangerous but just based on the financial cost to get on a 999 compared to a big 4 liter bike you are obviously going to get younger and therefore some more reckless and/or inexperienced riders on big 4 liter bikes. In general people grow older and wiser (respective to the wisdom they had/lacked when younger) and generally income grows as well with age, which probably translates to older 999 riders at lower insurance rates.

Insurance rates can always be confusing but I don't ask questions of my agent when it works to my favor. Cheap is cheap and not looking a "gift horse in the mouth" (what the hell does that mean anyway?) is a good rule to live by.

As far as the wife is concerned, like another poster said, it's easier to apologize than ask permission. If you haven't burned up your bank of marriage apologies yet this may be a good time to make a withdrawal
Old 12-30-2004, 07:48 AM   #76
kowalke67
Founding Member

I use to ride a F6650GS Dakar and now ride a ST3. I find the ST3 leaves me in better shape at the end of the day than the F650GS did. Being crouched and leaned forward takes the weight off my lower back and lets me use my arms, legs, abdomen, and back for support instead of all the weight coming directly down on my lower back and my arse. I rented a Road King a couple weeks ago and did about 200 miles on northern Ca. rodes. My back was sorer after that than 450 miles on my ST3.

I'm not convinced the full upright ergos are the best for distance riding. Of course the ST's have much less of a sport riding position than full on sport bikes being something between a Multistrada and 999. I'm 37 but keep myself in respectable shape and weigh in at around 170lbs, which I'm sure helps in a long-term crouch. For around town riding though IÂ’ll take upright ergos over a crouch every time. ThatÂ’s why I jump on the DRZ400S instead of the Duc when city riding (and the fact that speed bumps have the exact opposite of their intended effect on me
Old 12-30-2004, 09:15 AM   #77
pdad13
Founding Member

I was just referring to the aesthetics, actually.

I also think the RC looks great in the new black/gray color scheme. Those old multi-color paint jobs just make the bikes look uglier. I never realized the RC is actually a nice looking bike until I saw it in its new wardrobe.

999: I don't want to riding anything that's a "shakin', rattlin' nightmare" at 150+. Sounds like it might be just yours. Maybe it's something silly like a bad tire? Or is it definitely a mechanical vibration?

And I don't think I could justify any bike that costs 15k+ right now, but they're nice to look at.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:33 AM   #79
12er
Founding Member

How about the seat on that Multistrada? Bed of nails may be more comfy...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:34 AM   #80
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Killer dinette set

I just buy a big box of latex gloves (shut up, Buzz) and change the oil myself. The costs aren't nearly as high as keeping an MB 240D running.